Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Releasing slide on empty chamber

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • timbo399
    Senior Member
    • Jul 2010
    • 1765

    Releasing slide on empty chamber

    Would you guys/gals have said anything??-- I picked up my Sig at LGS today and while the gentleman was showing me the safe handling part, he released the slide w empty magazine (no dummy round). I kind of cringed as it slammed shut mainly because I was brought up on 1911's and told never do that-- so I never have, not only on 1911's but on any of my semis.

    Would you have said anything? I let it go but still not sure how it affects Sigs- as mentioned, I was always told never to do this, but that was mostly w 1911's.
  • #2
    edgerly779
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    CGN Contributor
    • Aug 2009
    • 19871

    Should have cupped slide in palm of hand and eased it down. When I owned range I told my people never rack an empty handgun. It is rude and injurious to the firearm and you should be bitcjh slapped for doing it. (LOL)

    Comment

    • #3
      BarrettM99
      Senior Member
      • Mar 2015
      • 2199

      It’s in poor taste...especially if it’s not your firearm. Same goes for dry firing. I always ask if it’s ok to dry fire or rack slide...or pretty much anything. It’s the right thing to do.
      sigpic

      Comment

      • #4
        billkohatsu
        Member
        • Jun 2018
        • 245

        A LGS asked me to release the slide on an empty mag during the safe handling demo during pickup.
        I shot him a WTF look and removed the mag before proceeding to release the slide.
        To all the LGS, don't be an @ss and ask your customers to release the slide on an empty mag.

        Comment

        • #5
          Chapped Hide
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2013
          • 3901

          Wouldn't bother me, I won't do it though and wouldn't suggest doing it either. It is a gun and it does function under much greater stresses
          **** your feelings!

          Comment

          • #6
            Denver Dick
            Member
            • Dec 2009
            • 470

            Originally posted by Not so Chapped Hide
            Wouldn't bother me, I won't do it though and wouldn't suggest doing it either. It is a gun and it does function under much greater stresses
            Yeah, I'm sort of with you on this one, but it would bother me. However, one time ain't worth getting all worked up over.
            sigpic

            Comment

            • #7
              GM4spd
              Calguns Addict
              • May 2008
              • 5682

              Comment

              • #8
                timbo399
                Senior Member
                • Jul 2010
                • 1765

                Yeah I'm sure my Sig will be fine. That was never a worry.

                To me, it was more about common etiquette w someone else's firearm.

                If I were asking to see a gun in the window at that same LGS, I wouldn't be slamming the slide home on empty magazine on any of their guns.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Chapped Hide
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2013
                  • 3901

                  Originally posted by timbo399
                  Yeah I'm sure my Sig will be fine. That was never a worry.

                  To me, it was more about common etiquette w someone else's firearm.

                  If I were asking to see a gun in the window at that same LGS, I wouldn't be slamming the slide home on empty magazine on any of their guns.
                  Next time, ask to see one of their Sig's in the case then proceed to rack/slide release, rack/slide release, rack/slide release staring him straight in the eye the whole time. Then politely ask if you can test the trigger pull and when he says sure while cringing a little, rapid fire DA 10-15 times.

                  Set the gun on the counter, tell him the trigger sucks and you want to look at 1911's
                  **** your feelings!

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    timbo399
                    Senior Member
                    • Jul 2010
                    • 1765

                    Originally posted by Not so Chapped Hide
                    Next time, ask to see one of their Sig's in the case then proceed to rack/slide release, rack/slide release, rack/slide release staring him straight in the eye the whole time. Then politely ask if you can test the trigger pull and when he says sure while cringing a little, rapid fire DA 10-15 times.

                    Set the gun on the counter, tell him the trigger sucks and you want to look at 1911's
                    HA!! Too funny.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      colt11
                      Senior Member
                      • May 2012
                      • 697

                      I was taught it's poor practice. The logic is when you load a round some of the slide energy is absorbed by the friction of a round being stripped from the magazine and be inserted into the barrel.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Tanner68
                        Senior Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 2147

                        Originally posted by Not so Chapped Hide
                        Next time, ask to see one of their Sig's in the case then proceed to rack/slide release, rack/slide release, rack/slide release staring him straight in the eye the whole time. Then politely ask if you can test the trigger pull and when he says sure while cringing a little, rapid fire DA 10-15 times.

                        Set the gun on the counter, tell him the trigger sucks and you want to look at 1911's
                        Good one!

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Josh3239
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Dec 2006
                          • 9200

                          I agree, definitely in poor taste. For one time I'd try to forget about it. Anymore and I'd certainly ask for that person to stop.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Unsilenced
                            Member
                            • Jul 2016
                            • 394

                            For a device designed to be flung open under the force of an explosion, people seem awfully worried about what the force of a small spring will do to their slides.

                            I know 1911's have a specific weakness that can cause them to get damaged by repeated slide drops, but even then I've only heard vague anecdotes of the damage, where some gun with tens of thousands of rounds "might have lasted longer" if the owner didn't consistently drop the slide over years of use. I'd be curious to see a side by side of a 1911 that's shot 10,000 rounds versus one that's just been racked and let drop that many times. I've never even heard of a modern gun having the same issue.


                            I guess it might be seen as rude to do to someone else's gun because it might cause them to worry whether or not it actually causes damage, but I don't see it as being in the same category as flicking someone's cylinder shut or letting off both barrels at once on their shotgun.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Mystery_Milk
                              Senior Member
                              • Aug 2017
                              • 541

                              FFLs have done the same thing with my guns when they chamber-check them before starting paperwork. It annoys me too but it's not going to make the gun fall apart or anything.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1