Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Thinking about getting a S&W 610.. Any thoughts?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Z ME FLY
    Calguns Addict
    • Mar 2008
    • 6590

    Thinking about getting a S&W 610.. Any thoughts?

    Hey Calgunners!

    I saw a 6" S&W 610 Revolver. It looks like it was an early one because it has the wood combat grips on I believe. The local shop has it on consignment for $600. Doesn't have a lot of info on it like how many rounds were shot or if there is any problems. The revolver was a bit dirty when I saw it but overall looks to be in good shape. Current 610 owners.... got anything to say about it? This will be my first revolver. I love the 10mm round, I use to have a Glock G29... $600 I think sounds like a good deal since I don't see the 610 pop up that much.
    Originally posted by 69Mach1
    The virgin requires more work (don't they all )

    Originally posted by 69Mach1
    Z gets around. lol
  • #2
    Miltiades
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2006
    • 1149

    610 is an attractive gun...

    The $600 price is probably fair for a model 610 in excellent condition. I don't have one of these, but have looked at them and regret not buying one years ago when I first saw them. The ability to shoot .40 and 10mm in the same gun appeals to me, and the moonclips would make for fast reloads.

    Comment

    • #3
      dfletcher
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Dec 2006
      • 14809

      Originally posted by Z ME FLY
      Hey Calgunners!

      I saw a 6" S&W 610 Revolver. It looks like it was an early one because it has the wood combat grips on I believe. The local shop has it on consignment for $600. Doesn't have a lot of info on it like how many rounds were shot or if there is any problems. The revolver was a bit dirty when I saw it but overall looks to be in good shape. Current 610 owners.... got anything to say about it? This will be my first revolver. I love the 10mm round, I use to have a Glock G29... $600 I think sounds like a good deal since I don't see the 610 pop up that much.

      I visited there last week - you know you might be able to get it for a bit less, maybe $575.00 or so. It's been there for a bit & they don't expect it to move fast. If I didn't already have the same thing I sure would have grabbed it.

      The combat grips are too small for an N frame with a 6" lugged barrel, I think. So I switched mine out. BTW, check out GB and EBay to find out how much those things cost. Again, I don't care for them and committed Smith sacrilege by selling them for a touch under $200.00.

      The 10mm is sort of a "41 Magnum lite". If you don't reload, you can practice with 40 cal and I'm told they do fine despite the long jump. If you do reload the 10mm is the same as any other round. The 41 Magnum analogy works well for reloading also, not alot of bullet variety.

      Personally I think it's an easy choice. A no lock, no MIM old fashioned N frame Smith for (under?) $600.00 - that's less than I paid for mine.
      GOA Member & SAF Life Member

      Comment

      • #4
        Z ME FLY
        Calguns Addict
        • Mar 2008
        • 6590

        Yeah, I was in today and looked at it but no box no papers nothing with it. I kinda like to have the papers with the gun and at least a box. Eh.. I'll see.. I just put in an order for a OD Glock G34. The wait for that is going to be LONG...
        Originally posted by 69Mach1
        The virgin requires more work (don't they all )

        Originally posted by 69Mach1
        Z gets around. lol

        Comment

        • #5
          randy
          In Memoriam
          • Nov 2006
          • 4642

          Great gun. Are you sure it's not a 5" barrel? I had one I should have kept. Load up some moon clips with 40 or 10 and you're gtg. Shooting 40 in one is like shooting 38 in a 357.
          I move slow but I make up for it by shooting poorly.

          When I hit the lotto I'm only shooting factory.

          Comment

          • #6
            dexter9659
            Senior Member
            • May 2006
            • 701

            Ohhh a 610! Yes that is a very nice revolver! As Randy posted, get some moon clips and go to town. Since the cartridge is fully supported, you can load some oober 10mms. If it is a 6" model, 600 is a good price, you dont really see many of them on a daily basis.
            Co-Founder of the Contra Costa Contras shooting team

            Comment

            • #7
              TKM
              Onward through the fog!
              CGN Contributor
              • Jul 2002
              • 10657

              I'd say get one. Unless they have two.

              I have a 610 and a bucket full of loaded moonclips.

              I also have a 625 and a bucket full of loaded moonclips.


              I recommend them both.

              If I was there it would be mine by now.
              It's not PTSD, it's nostalgia.

              Comment

              • #8
                sned45
                Senior Member
                • Oct 2005
                • 746

                Buy it, I have a 610 and really enjoy it. Try some Double Tap ammo.

                If you pass on it please PM me the location so I may check it out.

                Comment

                • #9
                  trashman
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2006
                  • 3824

                  I'd grab it. Except that I hit the jackpot today and bought a Model 57 and committed to a pristine 629-2 w/ case and tools.

                  If you don't buy it, would you let me know where it is?...

                  --Neill
                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    atasty39
                    Member
                    • Feb 2008
                    • 120

                    I just got a new one. I really like shooting it. It seems to be fairly versatile in that it can shoot .40 or 10mm and light or heavy loads. For now, I will be shooting .40 and will eventually move up into the 10mm. The stock action is pretty smooth, heavy in DA, the trigger is nice in SA. I got some Rimz polymer moonclips that make loading easy and doable by hand. S&W 4" stainless revolvers are very cool and I have at least one more to get before I am done. My recommendation for what it is worth is, "Buy it, you'll like it!" Good luck!
                    Last edited by atasty39; 04-03-2009, 9:41 PM. Reason: grammar, etc.
                    "The guilty seek punishment"

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      SnWnMe
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Feb 2007
                      • 6897

                      I have one in 4". Yes it is a very nice gun shooting a reasonably powerful cartridge. Be prepared to handload if you want to really enjoy it

                      All N frames are nice IMO. There is something about the heft that makes them so nice to hold.
                      Frank Da Tank

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Z ME FLY
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Mar 2008
                        • 6590

                        FYI... the gun is @ Castro Valley gun shop but I picked it up today So I am just waiting my 10 days then I can get it out of jail. Thanks Joel!
                        Originally posted by 69Mach1
                        The virgin requires more work (don't they all )

                        Originally posted by 69Mach1
                        Z gets around. lol

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Greg-Dawg
                          Banned
                          • Oct 2006
                          • 7793

                          Never think, just do it.

                          Congrats!!!

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Proph3t
                            Member
                            • Sep 2007
                            • 120

                            Took it to the range and shot it a bunch, so make sure you get a nice cleaning kit when you pick it up. Oh and also i dropped it a couple times so it's kinda scratched

                            Thanks for coming by


                            (PS Joke)

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Z ME FLY
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Mar 2008
                              • 6590

                              Originally posted by Proph3t
                              Took it to the range and shot it a bunch, so make sure you get a nice cleaning kit when you pick it up. Oh and also i dropped it a couple times so it's kinda scratched

                              Thanks for coming by


                              (PS Joke)
                              While at the range did you hold it sideways and aim like you are in hollywood?
                              Originally posted by 69Mach1
                              The virgin requires more work (don't they all )

                              Originally posted by 69Mach1
                              Z gets around. lol

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1