Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Glock Field Strip dislocating recoil spring assembly?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • ducatiti
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2018
    • 740

    Glock Field Strip dislocating recoil spring assembly?

    Hello all. New to firearms and Glock in general. Just purchased my third pistol which is the Glock 17 OD gen 3.

    Is it normal for the recoil spring assembly to dislodge from the locking block a step up upon removing the slide?

    I just want to make sure that this is normal as this happens each and every time. If so, is it bad to install the slide back with the current position? I tried it once and everything worked as normal.

    Sorry for the noob question.
  • #2
    Riflegear
    Vendor/Retailer
    • Jun 2009
    • 1919

    Perfectly normal. I personally like to seat the rod back into the groove prior to installing the slide back on the frame.
    sigpic

    Gear On Sale
    Contact Us
    Follow Us On: Facebook - Instagram

    Comment

    • #3
      559BearDown
      Senior Member
      • Jan 2014
      • 1555

      Yup it's normal.

      Comment

      • #4
        ducatiti
        Senior Member
        • Mar 2018
        • 740

        Thanks for confirming guys. Again, sorry for the dumb question

        Also, when slowly racking the slide during dry fire practice, is there a slight resistance when the slide returns and barrel goes back in place. Sometimes it stops 1/4 inch prior to returning fully?

        Comment

        • #5
          boopiejones
          Senior Member
          • May 2014
          • 2044

          There is usually some resistance right at the point before the slide goes fully back into battery, but it should not stop short. There are a couple normal points of resistance - primarily the safety plunger and the barrel locking into place within the slide.

          If the slide isn’t retuning into battery fully, either you have a weak recoil spring or something else is wrong (rails misaligned, etc). Since you’re saying the gun is new, recoil spring likely is not the problem. , I’d recommend completely disassembling the slide (remove all internal slide parts) and see if the slide runs smoothly on the rails. If t does, then reassemble the internal parts (but leave out the barrel and recoil spring) and try again. Then add barrel and recoil spring and try again... try to isolate the issue

          You might also try shooting a couple hundred rounds thru it, as glocks can be stiff when new.
          Last edited by boopiejones; 05-21-2018, 1:31 PM.
          my Benitez goes to 11

          Comment

          • #6
            ducatiti
            Senior Member
            • Mar 2018
            • 740

            Thanks for the input. This only happens occasionally when releasing the slide gently. Does not happen when I do it quick. Probably nothing but I will go ahead and shoot away Thanks again.

            Comment

            • #7
              Preston-CLB
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2018
              • 4348

              I have not noticed any hanging of the slide on my G17. It does feel a little stiff due to the gun being brand new.

              Just a thought, but you might try re-oiling the rails. Clean them, and re-lube--only 1 drop for each rail cut.
              --P
              ? "If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you are satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper."

              Comment

              • #8
                Riflegear
                Vendor/Retailer
                • Jun 2009
                • 1919

                Originally posted by ducatiti
                Thanks for the input. This only happens occasionally when releasing the slide gently. Does not happen when I do it quick. Probably nothing but I will go ahead and shoot away Thanks again.
                Its probably from the trigger bar running over the firing pin safety.
                sigpic

                Gear On Sale
                Contact Us
                Follow Us On: Facebook - Instagram

                Comment

                • #9
                  ducatiti
                  Senior Member
                  • Mar 2018
                  • 740

                  Originally posted by Riflegear
                  Its probably from the trigger bar running over the firing pin safety.
                  So this isn't normal when pulling the slide it an inch or two gently (empty chamber)? If I release and snap quickly, this does not occur.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Riflegear
                    Vendor/Retailer
                    • Jun 2009
                    • 1919

                    Originally posted by ducatiti
                    So this isn't normal when pulling the slide it an inch or two gently (empty chamber)? If I release and snap quickly, this does not occur.
                    It is normal, when you do it, your trigger shoe should move slightly. The slight hangup can also be the lugs of the barrel seating itself.
                    sigpic

                    Gear On Sale
                    Contact Us
                    Follow Us On: Facebook - Instagram

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      SkyHawk
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Sep 2012
                      • 23531

                      I have also seen aftermarket disconnectors cause failure to RTB.
                      Click here for my iTrader Feedback thread: https://www.calguns.net/forum/market...r-feedback-100

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        foothillman
                        Senior Member
                        • Jan 2017
                        • 1184

                        Originally posted by ducatiti
                        Thanks for the input. This only happens occasionally when releasing the slide gently. Does not happen when I do it quick. Probably nothing but I will go ahead and shoot away Thanks again.
                        Maybe off a little do not own a Glock. Rented many times. That was enough for me.
                        The extractor needs to be pushed out when the slide is fully seated.
                        If you very gently bring the slide "closed" the extractor will keep the slide slightly open.

                        Noticed this when cleaning my S&W 2206 .22lr not so much on larger caliber.
                        ITrader FeedBack https://www.calguns.net/forum/market...k-100-positive

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          trackcage
                          Senior Member
                          • Apr 2015
                          • 1777

                          Please spend your time shooting the glock instead of dissecting whether or not the sky is blue when you look through the barrel. The gun is fine.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            ducatiti
                            Senior Member
                            • Mar 2018
                            • 740

                            Originally posted by trackcage
                            Please spend your time shooting the glock instead of dissecting whether or not the sky is blue when you look through the barrel. The gun is fine.
                            I was actually just dry firing in preparation of it's first range visit since picking up the firearm this past weekend. If my schedule permits, I would be shooting this ASAP.

                            Thank you for your input.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            UA-8071174-1