Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Sig P226 Sight Heights, Need Help

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Tere_Hanges
    Calguns Addict
    • Mar 2013
    • 6270

    Sig P226 Sight Heights, Need Help

    I recently installed a new meprolight #8 front sight on my 1990s W. German Sig P226 and now Its shooting way high like at least 6 inches high at 10yds. I did not change the rear sight. It has the standard #8 Von Stavenhagen rear sight also known as "contrast" or "dot-post" sights. The old front sight was size #6. It shot point of aim with old #6/#8 combo but I thought 9mm P226s were supposed to be #8/#8.

    I guess the obvious thing would be to replace the front sight with a #6 but now Im curious to know why it shoots high with the #8/#8 combo. I was thinking of getting some used siglite night sights but they are all #8/#8 because that is standard.

    Could it be that the meprolight #8 is just not compatible with the Von Stavenhagen #8? Any suggestions?

    If I just wanted to replace the rear sight what size would I use? #6?
    Last edited by Tere_Hanges; 05-03-2018, 7:06 PM.
    CRPA and NRA member.

    Note that those who have repeatedly expressed enough vile and incoherent content as to render your views irrelevant, have been placed on my ignore list. Thank you for helping me improve my experience and direct my attention towards those who are worthy of it. God bless your toxic little souls.
  • #2
    code_blue
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2012
    • 3461

    The sight numbers and combinations are pistol specific. I have seen Sigs (and other firearms) across the same models have varying sight heights. It is the nature of loose tolerance production guns. Each firearm will shoot a little different and for different people.

    Even if you went to the 6, it is possible that you still may not be on. Best recommendation is to find an aftermarket system that matches your preference.

    Of course, Sigs do utilize a combat sight picture, so it is possible that you need to use a target sight picture now.
    Classifieds:

    Radian & Aero Pistol lowers, Folsom

    Comment

    • #3
      Barang
      CGN Contributor
      • Aug 2013
      • 13412

      Just remember; Number up = shoot's high. Number down = Shoot's low.

      You should have followed the old number since it was shooting fine. Just because the default number for 9mm is #8/#8 doesn't mean it's 100%.
      I have to changed two of my Sigs with different front and rear sights to get the correct POI deviating from factory set sights.
      Last edited by Barang; 05-03-2018, 8:13 PM.

      Comment

      • #4
        theLBC
        CGN/CGSSA Contributor
        CGN Contributor
        • Oct 2017
        • 7383

        6" at 10yds is a lot, since for sigs, each number higher/lower is 1" at 25 yds increments for the front sight,

        To help ease confusion, I’ve written this brief reference guide for SIG Sauer sight numbers and sight heights. Keeping them straight can be confusing, so I wrote this guide as much for myself as anyone else. 🙂 Which SIGs Use Which Heights? For classic P-Series pistols, the “general” rule for what are considered the “standard” …

        Comment

        • #5
          Monkeywrench
          Member
          • Sep 2015
          • 254

          That much difference, you should be able to see the difference from your old sight to your new one.

          Comment

          • #6
            Tere_Hanges
            Calguns Addict
            • Mar 2013
            • 6270

            Originally posted by Monkeywrench
            That much difference, you should be able to see the difference from your old sight to your new one.
            I didnt measure, maybe its more like 4". I'll have to take it out again. I didnt really have time to get good data.
            CRPA and NRA member.

            Note that those who have repeatedly expressed enough vile and incoherent content as to render your views irrelevant, have been placed on my ignore list. Thank you for helping me improve my experience and direct my attention towards those who are worthy of it. God bless your toxic little souls.

            Comment

            Working...
            UA-8071174-1