Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

First 1911

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • BLC
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2008
    • 1340

    First 1911

    I am thinking of ordering this one to start the sickness with. What do you think?? Good entry level?? I can reserve one for $511, if anybody has any other suggestions throw them out there. I am on a budget though.


    sigpic
  • #2
    andrewj
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2008
    • 2589

    Im looking into the same one for when I hit 21... but I plan on going full size
    Dear California,
    I love you. I was born and raised in you. You have given me some of the best times of my life. Now with that said, I can not wait to move!
    Your prisoner,
    Andrew J.

    Comment

    • #3
      Black Majik
      Calguns Addict
      • Oct 2005
      • 9695

      Hey Brian, come out and I'll let you run a few through my 1911s.

      However, you can't go wrong with Springfield.

      Comment

      • #4
        One Shot, One Dropped
        Senior Member
        • May 2008
        • 1134

        Originally posted by Black Majik
        Hey Brian, come out and I'll let you run a few through my 1911s.

        However, you can't go wrong with Springfield.
        ...e specially for $500. I don't know of much else you could get around that price that would be anywhere near as nice...
        Originally posted by ViPER395
        Give me a a case of .223 and immunity and i'll solve the gang problem from that News10 weather tower crap.
        -talking about the Sacramento "gang tax" being proposed

        Comment

        • #5
          Sam
          Calguns Addict
          CGN Contributor
          • Jul 2008
          • 5205

          I'd suggest really going with a gov't model for your first 1911. It'll be easy to shoot and thus learn with. It's good to know that you're catching a disease before going into this madness. I thought I'd only pick up a Wilson and nothing more for a looong time but thinking and doing are two different things.

          Comment

          • #6
            RedDawn
            CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
            • Dec 2007
            • 2234

            Springfield is an excellent choice. Don't worry, it's a disease you can live with and enjoy for years to come.
            sigpic
            "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms, disarm only those who are neither inclined, nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants. They serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."

            -- Thomas Jefferson, 1764
            *Excerpts from "On Crimes and Punishment" by Cesare Beccaria

            Comment

            • #7
              BLC
              Senior Member
              • Mar 2008
              • 1340

              Originally posted by Black Majik
              Hey Brian, come out and I'll let you run a few through my 1911s.

              However, you can't go wrong with Springfield.

              Are you guys still out there on Sundays? Sorry I havent been, lifes been hectic but finally starting to slow up a bit.

              A 4 inch isnt considered a full size? Thanks for the input guys?
              sigpic

              Comment

              • #8
                BLC
                Senior Member
                • Mar 2008
                • 1340

                Originally posted by Sam
                I'd suggest really going with a gov't model for your first 1911. It'll be easy to shoot and thus learn with. It's good to know that you're catching a disease before going into this madness. I thought I'd only pick up a Wilson and nothing more for a looong time but thinking and doing are two different things.

                The G.I. models are not the Govt models? Sorry, I am real new to the 1911 platform.
                sigpic

                Comment

                • #9
                  Kali_M14
                  Member
                  • Nov 2005
                  • 396

                  for the money, I would also consider the Rock Island tactical. At about the same price you can have the Novak style sights, beavertail, ambi safety skeltonized trigger. it also has a lifetime warranty. For the most part everyone I know that has one loves them. Some don't like the fact that they are cast as opposed to forged, but they seem to hold out well and armscor is good at replacing anything that has gone wrong with them.

                  Last edited by Kali_M14; 03-18-2009, 8:21 AM.
                  The user formerly known as PRKnative

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    BHPFan
                    Senior Member
                    • Oct 2007
                    • 2264

                    Originally posted by BLC
                    The G.I. models are not the Govt models? Sorry, I am real new to the 1911 platform.
                    Govt Models are Full Size 5" barrel models.

                    Champion Models or Commander Size models are the 4 to 4.25" barrel models.

                    GI models can be either one of those.

                    Your choice for a first 1911 is not bad. As many posters said above, "You can never go wrong with a Springfield."
                    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                    ~ Benjamin Franklin

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      1064chubbs
                      Senior Member
                      • Mar 2007
                      • 840

                      At that price you cant go wrong with the Springfield.
                      LIBERTAS

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Black Majik
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Oct 2005
                        • 9695

                        Originally posted by BLC
                        Are you guys still out there on Sundays? Sorry I havent been, lifes been hectic but finally starting to slow up a bit.

                        A 4 inch isnt considered a full size? Thanks for the input guys?
                        Yes, we are usually.

                        A fullsize would be 5 inch, the Government designation refers to a fullsize 5" (usually for Colt but its been used to describe other manufacturers too), 4.25" would be Commander, 4" would be Champion or Pro (Springfield and Kimber designation respectively).

                        For your first 1911, stick with a fullsize 5" model as they're the most reliable and soaks up the most recoil at 40oz dry.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          BLC
                          Senior Member
                          • Mar 2008
                          • 1340

                          Originally posted by BHPFan
                          Govt Models are Full Size 5" barrel models.

                          Champion Models or Commander Size models are the 4 to 4.25" barrel models.

                          GI models can be either one of those.

                          Your choice for a first 1911 is not bad. As many posters said above, "You can never go wrong with a Springfield."
                          Thanks for the clarification.

                          I am not really sure why I am partial to the 4" model besides the fact for whatever reason I never cared for a super long pistol. The only true "full size" I have is a 4" XD .40 I got in November and wait for it, wait for it...




                          I HAVENT SHOT IT YET!! I know, I feel great shame

                          I am also new to .45ACP, I just picked up my first one yesterday, a Sig P245. I have been drawn to the Springfield 1911 for some time now and figured since I have to buy .45 ammo anyway...

                          I will be ordering the 1911 on a reserve basis and actually have no idea when it will arrive, it could be a couple months. Thats OK though, the price is good and as I said I am on a budget. I also have plenty of stuff to keep me busy and should actually be concentrating on ammo right now anyway.

                          I will take a look at the R.I. but am really liking th Springfield.
                          sigpic

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            casting kid
                            Junior Member
                            • Mar 2008
                            • 60

                            "I would also consider the Rock Island tactical."

                            +1
                            "God created man, Colt made them equal"...
                            Mark Twain

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              BLC
                              Senior Member
                              • Mar 2008
                              • 1340

                              Since it obviously wont be a carry weapon perhaps I should give the 5" its day in court due to everybody's recommendations.

                              I could get either of these for the same price, the O.D. is kinda cool...





                              Actually the stainless is about $80 bones more, no biggie.
                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1