Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Rookie 1911 Question

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • DT556
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    CGN Contributor
    • Mar 2011
    • 3671

    Rookie 1911 Question

    I feel stupid but I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I disassembled my Kimber Tactical Custom 5", but I'm having the biggest trouble trying to put it back together. When I try to put the slide back on it feels like it just stops halfway on like it's hitting something. I watched numerous Youtube videos and I did everything just like they showed. I'm clueless right now. Any help would be great. Thank you.
    Last edited by DT556; 12-05-2017, 12:26 PM.
  • #2
    Andyman562
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2012
    • 705

    Make sure the bottom of your barrel (lower lugs) or guide rod aren’t catching on the frame when trying to slide it back.

    Comment

    • #3
      Andyman562
      Senior Member
      • Dec 2012
      • 705

      Sometimes it can align up wrong when trying to put it back on right side up. You’ll see some put it back on upside down to make sure everything clears the dust cover and inside the frame.

      Comment

      • #4
        9mmContagion
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2013
        • 3242

        Are you making sure your slide stop pin is entering through your barrel link hole? If you can post a video, it would make a world of a difference in diagnosing the issue
        9mmContagion Feedback

        Comment

        • #5
          ReDgUaRd008
          Member
          • May 2011
          • 129

          make sure the schwartz safety is down. Once you get the slide half way in flip it right side up make sure the pin next to the disconnector is down. FYI also don't grip or apply pressure the grip safety it is what active that pin.

          Last edited by ReDgUaRd008; 12-05-2017, 12:02 PM.

          Comment

          • #6
            DT556
            CGN/CGSSA Contributor
            CGN Contributor
            • Mar 2011
            • 3671

            I had to leave the house, I’ll try again when I get back home. I’ll post a video too if I still can’t get it. Thanks for the help!

            Comment

            • #7
              rubbman
              Senior Member
              • May 2013
              • 652

              I had troubles not knowing the upper sear lever was falling in the way every time i inverted the gun.
              I once pondered over the debate of 9mm vs. .40, then I was introduced to .38 super and 10mm and forgot all about it.

              Comment

              • #8
                heidad01
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2012
                • 4902

                Originally posted by ReDgUaRd008
                make sure the schwartz safety is down. Once you get the slide half way in flip it right side up make sure the pin next to the disconnector is down. FYI also don't grip or apply pressure the grip safety it is what active that pin.

                This should take care of your difficulty. if your barrel lugs are fully seated in the slide, the only things that may catch are the disconnector and that Swartz safety pin. By the way, that pin is kind of prone to be snapped if you are not careful.

                Good luck.

                Comment

                • #9
                  DT556
                  CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                  CGN Contributor
                  • Mar 2011
                  • 3671

                  All fixed. The problem was I was grabbing the gun and applying pressure to the grip safety. You guys are a lot of help. Thanks again

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    heidad01
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2012
                    • 4902

                    Originally posted by Damiiaaannn
                    All fixed. The problem was I was grabbing the gun and applying pressure to the grip safety. You guys are a lot of help. Thanks again
                    Gotta love Calgun.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      jj19
                      Member
                      • May 2012
                      • 194

                      Lol

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Germ1
                        Senior Member
                        • Apr 2014
                        • 1165

                        What you did wrong was buy a 106 year old pistol instead of a Glock. Glocks are so simple that you can not mess it up when you take it apart or put it back together. I can detail strip my Glock in like a minute, and all I need to do it is a single punch.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          AreWeFree
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2013
                          • 4558

                          Originally posted by Germ1
                          What you did wrong was buy a 106 year old pistol instead of a Glock. Glocks are so simple that you can not mess it up when you take it apart or put it back together. I can detail strip my Glock in like a minute, and all I need to do it is a single punch.
                          I recall you can mess this up, a few reassemble without the recoil spring and the striker gets cocked so they can't remove the slide?
                          Something like that.

                          Also if they put the wrong slide on the frame while messing around with stuff, it can get locked up.
                          Really don't know or care though.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            thetruecheese
                            Member
                            • Aug 2013
                            • 373

                            Originally posted by Germ1
                            What you did wrong was buy a 106 year old pistol instead of a Glock. Glocks are so simple that you can not mess it up when you take it apart or put it back together. I can detail strip my Glock in like a minute, and all I need to do it is a single punch.

                            Said truly like someone whose never taken down a 1911!

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              heidad01
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 2012
                              • 4902

                              Originally posted by Germ1
                              What you did wrong was buy a 106 year old pistol instead of a Glock. Glocks are so simple that you can not mess it up when you take it apart or put it back together. I can detail strip my Glock in like a minute, and all I need to do it is a single punch.
                              Perfect does not need to be changed much. That is why the 106 year old 1911 is still around. Suffice it to say that they have made hundreds of different hand guns since the 1911 in the last 105 years. Well, they all suck in various degrees if you compare triggers.
                              Glocks have gone through 5 generations of improvements and they still suck major league. Also, they are made simple and cheaply so that they are affordable and that even a novice could maintain them. No disrespect to anyone.

                              You are comparing a Stradivarius to a Tambourine.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1