Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Took a step toward the dark side.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • P5Ret
    Calguns Addict
    • Oct 2010
    • 6397

    Took a step toward the dark side.

    Finally did it, I bought a Glock 19. Now truth be told this is my second Glock as I have a 27 just don't like it much, and I didn't buy that one it was a gift. Just started thinking I wanted something with better capacity than the Shield, (when the weather turns cooler) and since I have some 19 mags I bought way back in the day when I got issued one for a short period of time, I figured it was an inexpensive alternative to the W. German P226.

    Any suggestions for sight upgrades for someone trying to get used to bifocals will be greatly appreciated. Because let's face it standard Glock sights are a bit lacking. Don't want to do too much else to it right off the bat as this will be a carry gun more so that a range gun, but I am open to suggestions that don't go too far on mods.
  • #2
    Rifle ronin
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2016
    • 1196

    I put a Vickers extended mag release on my g19. I didn't need an extended slide stop, the oem works for me. I did replace the extractor to a lone wolf.
    As for bi focals, they suck for shooting. Get computer distance glasses if you go on the cheap.
    Last edited by Rifle ronin; 10-28-2017, 10:07 AM. Reason: Spelling
    I dreamed of owning a (insert off roster gun here)...

    Oh yeah....then the earth splits open with me on one side and the (off roster gun) on the other. Then appeared a large red-glowing pit with gavin newscum, diane frankenstein and governor "brown the drain" at the bottom of it, waving their pitchforks at me.
    (Non caps intended)

    Comment

    • #3
      boopiejones
      Senior Member
      • May 2014
      • 2044

      I used to run a stock Glock extended mag release and extended slide stop. But I found that I don't really use the slide stop to release the slide, so the extended bar becomes more of a liability than an asset as it occasionally causes the slide to not lock back on an empty mag (my grip interferes with it).

      So I think all you really need to consider is a $3 mag release. And maybe sights if the stock ones don't work for you. I don't wear bifocals so I can't give you any sight recommendations.
      my Benitez goes to 11

      Comment

      • #4
        Rogue187
        Senior Member
        • Feb 2007
        • 1157

        Comment

        • #5
          bmk20398
          Senior Member
          • Jan 2017
          • 1047

          I love dawson precision fiber.
          far better contrast than other, easy to focus on front sight.
          recessed fiber does not reflect, bright and sharp.

          Comment

          • #6
            mtenenhaus
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2007
            • 3416

            I really don't like the extended releases and stops on Glocks...perhaps its the way i grip the pistol. Despite trialing several brands to date i have found them all to be irritating over protracted shooting sessions.

            Interestingly, an extended mag release does not seem to bother me on the 1911 platform and in fact i prefer them on my 1911 range gun.

            Comment

            • #7
              sitruc
              Member
              • Nov 2016
              • 466

              As far as sights, high visibility fiber optic front sight could be the way to go for daylight shooting when using bifocals. For night/carry sights, Trijicon HD XRs (I have the orange front post version)are great. I also saw these and who knows, they might help you.

              When I got my hands on my glock, I immediately noticed problems with the mag release. It took WAY too much effort to drop the mag consistently. I bought the vickers extended and it was a massive improvement. However, one drawback I have seen that I have not seen anyone else complain about is that it "damages" the magazines.

              I took my 19 mags and put them in a friend's completely stock 19 and they were not dropping free when hitting the release. After some inspection, the mag release tab was deforming both the top and bottom of the "tab catch" (I don't know the technical name) on the magazine. The green part is what it should look like, the red parts are what is causing the issue.
              (Click for larger version)

              It's kind of hard to capture in a photo, but it is easy to feel. The parts in red stick out past the magazine body just a hair and get stuck on the inside of the magwell. It has no problem releasing inside my own glock however, which is why it isn't really "damaged".

              Comment

              • #8
                Dimitri A.
                Senior Member
                • Jan 2010
                • 931

                I wear progressive lenses and recently installed a set of Ameriglo Pro I-dots on one of my 19's. They seem to be working well for me. They are basically the same set-up as Heinie straight eights for a lot less money. The only other mod I would personally make is swapping out the serrated trigger on your 19 (and 27 for that matter) for the smooth-faced unit from the 17/22. The serrated triggers irritate my finger after a long range session. I've also used Truglo TFO's before and can recommend those as well.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Milsurp Collector
                  Calguns Addict
                  CGN Contributor
                  • Jan 2009
                  • 5884

                  Originally posted by P5Ret
                  Any suggestions for sight upgrades for someone trying to get used to bifocals will be greatly appreciated. Because let's face it standard Glock sights are a bit lacking. Don't want to do too much else to it right off the bat as this will be a carry gun more so that a range gun, but I am open to suggestions that don't go too far on mods.
                  I wear bifocals and realized the sights - any kind of sights - would be useless in a self-defense situation when I have my bifocals on, the only type of glasses I would have on in that situation. The bad guy isn't going to wait while I change glasses to the shootin' glasses I use at the range, which I wouldn't have with me anyway.

                  So I put lasers on all of my carry guns. I use this one on my Glock 19, currently $115 https://www.opticsplanet.com/crimson...unt-laser.html



                  With the laser I don't have to try to see the sights with my bifocals on. I can keep my eyes on the threat and on my surroundings.

                  .
                  Last edited by Milsurp Collector; 10-29-2017, 12:12 AM.
                  Revolvers are not pistols

                  pistol nouna handgun whose chamber is integral with the barrel
                  Calling a revolver a "pistol" is like calling a magazine a "clip", calling a shotgun a rifle, or a calling a man a woman.

                  ExitCalifornia.org

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    meanrock
                    Senior Member
                    • May 2015
                    • 847

                    Truglo tfx pro are great for carry, and decent for the range. If it's only a range gun, dawson makes great fiber optic sights. You will notice people mentioning the extractor, some tuning or replacement might be needed if you have she'll casings coming straight back. Everything else is window dressing, but you have tons of options for every part there is. Zev makes great stuff, it's usually worth the buy once cry once.

                    Edit- rereading this, with bifocals, a laser from crimson trace or an RMR might be a better option. Aiming with the 2 plane focal is going to be tough.
                    Last edited by meanrock; 10-28-2017, 11:15 PM.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    UA-8071174-1