Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Auto Ordinance 1911?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Lonestargrizzly not a Cabinetguy
    Calguns Addict
    • Dec 2015
    • 6504

    Auto Ordinance 1911?

    Saw an Auto Ordinance 1911 for $500 locally.
    Whats the consensus on their quality?
    I shook it and it rattled a little, but the rattling was due to the grip safety being loose.
    Are these worth it for the price, and are they worth considering for carry purposes?
  • #2
    Turbinator
    Administrator
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • Oct 2005
    • 11960

    I'd be curious too. They've been around a long time making 1911's. I used to think they were a decent brand back in the day, but with the surge of new premium makers, my impression is that they've fallen by the wayside.

    For $500, must have been a basic 1911.

    Turby

    Comment

    • #3
      omega
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2005
      • 3114

      I think they are worth the price, I would definitely buy the Auto Ordnance made in USA

      it has pretty good reviews from what Ive read

      Comment

      • #4
        Lonestargrizzly not a Cabinetguy
        Calguns Addict
        • Dec 2015
        • 6504

        Originally posted by Turbinator
        I'd be curious too. They've been around a long time making 1911's. I used to think they were a decent brand back in the day, but with the surge of new premium makers, my impression is that they've fallen by the wayside.

        For $500, must have been a basic 1911.

        Turby
        It was old by the looks of it, the lgs had replaced some parts with new parts, and touched up the bluing.

        Comment

        • #5
          sealocan
          Calguns Addict
          • Mar 2012
          • 9956

          "Auto-Ordnance Corporation (no relation to the original 1916 AOC) was bought out in 1999 by Saelio Entrerprises Inc., parent company of Kahr Arms."

          I don't know much about them personally but this bit of information makes me think they're better than some $500 1911 makers that might be closed and gone at anytime in the near future

          Unless of course you dislike the Kahr Arms Corporation.

          Also depending on the age of the pistol I wonder/doubt if there's any type of warranty/service on pre-1999 pistols that they did not make.

          But hey, it's a 1911, I say buy it.
          Last edited by sealocan; 08-09-2017, 7:58 AM.

          Comment

          • #6
            Mail Clerk
            Senior Member
            • Aug 2008
            • 2324

            Originally posted by Lonestargrizzly
            Saw an Auto Ordinance 1911 for $500 locally.
            Whats the consensus on their quality?
            I shook it and it rattled a little, but the rattling was due to the grip safety being loose.
            Are these worth it for the price, and are they worth considering for carry purposes?
            Lonestargrizzly,

            I'd get one if I saw it at my local store for that price!


            Mail Clerk

            Comment

            • #7
              1911aholic
              Member
              • May 2011
              • 142

              . Here's my AO 1911 pre Kahr Arms, the first pistol I ever bought, I've made a few upgrades, would never part with it!


              Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

              Comment

              • #8
                sealocan
                Calguns Addict
                • Mar 2012
                • 9956

                ^ If it looks as nice as that 1911, I would buy it if I were you.

                Comment

                • #9
                  357magnum
                  Senior Member
                  • Feb 2014
                  • 1219

                  I bought a Auto-Ordnance back around 1990.
                  When I went to field strip it, I could not get the barrel out of the slide.
                  I tapped on it with a wooden dowel with no luck.
                  I took it back to the store I bought it from and let there gunsmith take a look at it.
                  15 minutes later, while hearing lots of hammering noises coming from the back shop, the gunsmith came out with my pistol with a new slide/barrel assy. off another gun.
                  He told me he could not get the barrel out of the slide, so he took one off another pistol and would send mine back to Auto-Ordnance for warranty.
                  I took my pistol home and sold it.
                  So NO, I would not buy one.
                  Buy something of better quality.
                  sigpic"Don't mistake my kindness for weakness. I am kind to everyone, but when someone is unkind to me, weak is not what you are going to remember about me."
                  -Al Capone-

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Jimmy's
                    Veteran Member
                    • May 2016
                    • 2600

                    I have one from the 80's I liked it well enough to have Kings gun works do their thing to it and it resides as my #1 HD gun.
                    I had not shot it in a number of years and a guy at worked laughed about it asking If I would trust it to still work? on him

                    I took it out the other day and ran two 8 round mags through it at full throttle.
                    Center of paper target looks like it was shot with a shotgun. Yes I trust it with my life!
                    Last edited by Jimmy's; 08-10-2017, 3:46 PM.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      snacktime
                      Junior Member
                      • Jun 2015
                      • 81

                      I have handled 3-4 new kahr 1911s and 3-4 pre kahr 1911s. I want a full GI replica and the new ones seem to be worth it for $450. I would say a Rock Island is a better 1911 than any of the pre kahr auto ordnances I handled. Fit and finish was loose, and blueing was light on older auto ordnances that I handled.

                      Trigger work required on all Kahr 1911 that I have handled.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        meanrock
                        Senior Member
                        • May 2015
                        • 847

                        They made a ton of 1911's. The ones made in West Hurley were notoriously hit and miss. They were owned by Numrich for decades and made pretty great stuff. The parent company of Kahr bought them in 1999. If the one in the store is dated from the 70's or 80's- it could be a pretty cool find. Still not sure its worth $500 based on description, maybe $400-450?

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Turbinator
                          Administrator
                          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                          • Oct 2005
                          • 11960

                          Originally posted by snacktime
                          I want a full GI replica
                          Me too. So far the options I can think of include:

                          Auto Ordnance
                          Armscor
                          Springfield
                          Rock Island Armory

                          Any others?

                          Turby

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            aspenvalley
                            Senior Member
                            • Sep 2016
                            • 693

                            For the money I would rather have an Armscor or Norinco. If buying used I don't care where it's made. The damage is already done in my book.

                            Back in the nineties most 1911 rattled. I have a springer from about 1998 that rattles but shoots as good as I need it to.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              GG 5.56
                              Junior Member
                              • Aug 2017
                              • 37

                              I have seen the California Models online go as low as $450 for the Parkerized and $485 for the Matte Blue. Are the local stores selling them for a reasonable price or are they selling them close to retail for bigger profits? Some guns like the Kimbers are always close to retail. Are these one of them?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1