Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Interesting Find This Morning-Update, post#18

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • highpower
    Calguns Addict
    • May 2012
    • 5334

    Interesting Find This Morning-Update, post#18

    I ran across this Colt this morning.





    Whats so special about it?


    Yep, a Complete frame assembly direct from Colt. I was unaware that Colt sold frames separate from the rest of the gun, but here it is.


    According to the fellow I got it from, he bought it new in 1995 and while he had put a slide on it and cycled it a few times, he never shot it. I believe it as the feed ramp has clearly never had a bullet pass over it and the magazine well has never had a mag in it either.




    I am not really sure just what I am going to do with it, but the price was too good to pass up. I have eight other 1911's, so I don't really need another in .45 caliber. Right now I'm thinking that I'll remove the firing pin safety and use it with my Colt .22 conversion unit as a dedicated .22 plinker.


    [
    Last edited by highpower; 07-22-2017, 5:48 PM.
    MLC member.

    Biden, proof that stupid people shouldn't be allowed to vote.

    Dumocraps suck balls.
  • #2
    rcslotcar
    Senior Member
    • Jul 2014
    • 1100

    Nice find!

    Comment

    • #3
      QuarterBoreGunner
      Administrator
      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
      • Oct 2005
      • 9389

      Okay now *that* is interesting, I too was not aware that Colt ever offered this. Very cool.
      /Chris

      I have a perfect Burning Man attendance record: zero.

      You do know there are more guns in the country than there are in the city.
      Everyone and their mums is packin' round here!
      Like who?
      Farmers.
      Who else?
      Farmers' mums.

      Comment

      • #4
        sffred
        Senior Member
        • Jun 2010
        • 2421

        Nice find OP. There's a few 80series Colt slide assemblies flying around too. Nice grab I'm jelly
        Last edited by sffred; 07-20-2017, 11:32 AM.

        Comment

        • #5
          simonp
          Senior Member
          • Oct 2005
          • 1989

          What a great score! I've been looking for a colt or caspian frame for years with no luck


          Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
          "If you have them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow"

          Comment

          • #6
            SonofWWIIDI
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Nov 2011
            • 21583

            Sweet!
            Sorry, not sorry.
            🎺

            Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!

            Comment

            • #7
              JTROKS
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Nov 2007
              • 13093

              Looks like commander?
              The wise man said just find your place
              In the eye of the storm
              Seek the roses along the way
              Just beware of the thorns...
              K. Meine

              Comment

              • #8
                Carcassonne
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2012
                • 4897

                Originally posted by QuarterBoreGunner
                Okay now *that* is interesting, I too was not aware that Colt ever offered this. Very cool.

                I kinda remember them doing this, but with the regular 1911, not the 1991. They did it for a while for competition shooters who bought custom slides like 38 Special.


                .
                Be sure to ask your doctor if depression, rectal bleeding, and suicide are right for you.

                In the United States a person's expertise on a subject is inversely proportional to their knowledge of the subject: The less they know about something, the more they become an expert on it.

                I am being held hostage in a giant insane asylum called Earth.

                Comment

                • #9
                  SkyHawk
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Sep 2012
                  • 23531

                  Originally posted by JTROKS
                  Looks like commander?
                  The O1991 is a Govt Series 80. This one has a grip safety and hammer more common to Govt models, probably govt.

                  This one has an interesting finish though. I wonder if it is a light finish of some type just to keep it rust free until another finish is applied after mating and blending a slide? It looks like park but lighter. I dig the subdued look though, whatever it is.

                  I have used these Series 70 conversion shims, they work great and you can run series 70 slides. http://www.brownells.com/handgun-par...prod13121.aspx
                  Last edited by SkyHawk; 07-19-2017, 8:48 PM.
                  Click here for my iTrader Feedback thread: https://www.calguns.net/forum/market...r-feedback-100

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    doggie
                    Banned
                    • Apr 2017
                    • 719

                    Need more pics after you get a slide for it.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      highpower
                      Calguns Addict
                      • May 2012
                      • 5334

                      It's definitely a standard 1911 size frame and the serial number is in the serial number block that was started as a continuation of where the serial numbers stopped after WWII, so it is a Government Model frame. The finish looks like the parkerizing that was done back in the early '90's. I found a complete upper for it including barrel, bushing, recoil spring and guide for $250 so it looks like I am going to have about $500 total in it when I am done.
                      Last edited by highpower; 07-19-2017, 9:07 PM.
                      MLC member.

                      Biden, proof that stupid people shouldn't be allowed to vote.

                      Dumocraps suck balls.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        onelonehorseman
                        Veteran Member
                        • Oct 2012
                        • 4888

                        Originally posted by highpower
                        It's definitely a standard 1911 size frame and the serial number is in the serial number block that was started as a continuation of where the serial numbers stopped after WWII, so it is a Government Model frame. The finish looks like the parkerizing that was done back in the early '90's. I found a complete upper for it including barrel, bushing, recoil spring and guide for $250 so it looks like I am going to have about $500 total in it when I am done.
                        Sweet! Good find!
                        sigpic

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          audiction
                          Senior Member
                          • Mar 2012
                          • 785

                          that's interesting...pretty cool!

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Lonestargrizzly not a Cabinetguy
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Dec 2015
                            • 6504

                            Nice find.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              kmas
                              Senior Member
                              • Nov 2014
                              • 1315

                              Where go you find the rest of it?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1