Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

SD9VE Regular Capacity Magazine Block

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • double o chino
    Junior Member
    • Jan 2017
    • 11

    SD9VE Regular Capacity Magazine Block

    Hi, new SD9VE owner here.

    Does anyone have any suggestions for how to limit a regular capacity magazine to 10 rounds? I've seen mag blocks online for other Smith models but can't seem to find one specifically for the SD9VE.

    Thanks.
  • #2
    ojisan
    Agent 86
    CGN Contributor
    • Apr 2008
    • 11781

    Sometimes you have to make your own blocks.
    Wood is easiest for those with limited tools.
    A hacksaw and half round file, combined with elbow grease will get it done.
    Once you have made a couple wood ones, you may want to change materials to something nicer (but a bit harder to work) like HDPE plastic.
    I've seen HDPE bars on ebay that are close to the right width and depth.

    Originally posted by Citadelgrad87
    I don't really care, I just like to argue.

    Comment

    • #3
      double o chino
      Junior Member
      • Jan 2017
      • 11

      Hey, thanks man. I was thinking the same thing.

      Do you have any suggestions for size of wood to use or what length I should cut it to? I'm always down for a little trial and error but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

      Comment

      • #4
        ojisan
        Agent 86
        CGN Contributor
        • Apr 2008
        • 11781

        I found some hardwood at the hardware store that was almost perfect for front to back and side to side dimensions. I got a three foot length.
        Take off your floorplate and measure your interior magdimensions.
        Plane or file the wood down to match the mag body shape until the wood snugly fits in the mag body.
        You will end up needing a piece about 1" high per mag, so if you have more then one mag to block, go ahead and shape 4-5" of the wood piece.

        Next, take your mag follower and lay it flat and square on its side to the wood at the end of the wood, feed side towards the end of the wood.
        Mark a line with a pencil matching the follower angle to get the top angle of the block determined, then cut the un-needed portion above the line off.

        Next, put the follower and spring into the mag.
        Put the shaped wood with the now beveled end in the mag a couple inches.
        Then load ten rounds into the mag from the feed lip end.
        Hold some tension on the wood so it does not slide out as you do this.
        Now push the piece of wood into the mag, compressing the spring all the way until it bottoms out so the rounds are pushed up hard against the feed lips.
        Let the wood piece slide back down about 3/8" and hold it there.
        Using the bottom edge of the mag body as a guide, mark a line on the wood that matches the angle at the bottom of the mag body.

        Remove the wood carefully so rounds and springs don't go flying everywhere.
        Cut the wood off at the angled line and you have made your first block.

        Test: assemble mag with block.
        Load ten rounds.
        You should still be able to push the top round down just a little bit if you have the block height right, but not down so far that a 11th round will go in.
        Load mag in gun, if it easily latches into place you are finished.
        If it is hard to latch into place, file a little of the bottom of the block and test fit until you have the height correct.

        (Note: consider the thickness of the floor plate retainer, if yours is very tall, that height must also be considered.
        The reason we drop the wood piece 3/8" before making the cutting line is to allow for the floor plate retainer).

        Originally posted by Citadelgrad87
        I don't really care, I just like to argue.

        Comment

        • #5
          santacruzgunner
          Senior Member
          • Jun 2016
          • 549

          I've used plastic hangar rods cut to the right length and epoxies in to floor plate. Takes some trial and error but it's lightweight and inexpensive.

          Comment

          • #6
            lakersfan
            Member
            • Apr 2015
            • 499

            wood dowel from craft store or home depot

            Comment

            • #7
              double o chino
              Junior Member
              • Jan 2017
              • 11

              Thanks for the replies, ya'll.

              So essentially, if I read correctly, I'm just putting a piece of material inside the spring, between the floor plate and follower? Sounds simple enough.

              Comment

              Working...
              UA-8071174-1