Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Looking for Changeover CCW reccomendations

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • metalhead357
    Calguns Addict
    • Jan 2006
    • 5546

    Looking for Changeover CCW reccomendations

    Hey there~

    Was wondering if some of ya' pistol gurus out there can speed up a search for me. Looking to upgrade (ok, some may say downgrade ) a pistol for CCW carry.

    All mine on the permit are 'still pretty big' with the smallest being a glock 26 9mm. Though small, some of the attire I wear just can't/wont allow for the carry~ and I simply cant change some of that attire. I need a "deep cover" variety pistol.
    • No revolvers, I really need the "slim" models; i.e. single stack Autos.
    • Basically looking for another 9mm (or thereabout) about the size of a Walther PPK (or smaller). Is there still such a beast around? .380 IS a consideration but would still like to 'go bigger' than that......
    • Would prefer to stay away from Keltec, as well as some of the 'questionable' lower end brands but open to all suggestions; links and/or pics would be greatly appreciated but my search-fu is capable if you're not prone to posting such.
    • Will consider 'exotic' rounds~ just stuck in that rutt of 9mm or 45.
    • Would be seriously considering a P7, though they're not all that small, if the cost of those babes wern't so high ((anybody know how to sweet talk Lund outta one of his cheap!!!!!!??????))

    So let me have it~ if ya' got it; I need some thinking outside the normal box-o-mine that passes for a brain and my magazine subscriptions all tend toward rifles

    Appreciate it,

    Metalhead
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered....
    I am not a number! I am a free man

    1.)All humanity would be better off if Stoooopid hurt.
    2.)Why is it that if guns are sooooo unsafe that you're 9 times more likely to die at the hands of your doctor?
    3.)Remember...Buy it cheap & stack it deep
  • #2
    Black Majik
    Calguns Addict
    • Oct 2005
    • 9695

    Rohrbaugh R9 or Kahr PM9 should fit the bill nicely.

    Comment

    • #3
      metalhead357
      Calguns Addict
      • Jan 2006
      • 5546

      WOW! Ask and ye shall recieve!

      Both those are nice looking weapons!
      Now I know Kahr has apretty good reputation but will have to admit my complete ignorance on/of Rohrbaugh....any opinions on everything from reliability to even customer service?

      Seems I've already got two to go look for tomorrow after work! Thanks.
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered....
      I am not a number! I am a free man

      1.)All humanity would be better off if Stoooopid hurt.
      2.)Why is it that if guns are sooooo unsafe that you're 9 times more likely to die at the hands of your doctor?
      3.)Remember...Buy it cheap & stack it deep

      Comment

      • #4
        x2delight
        Member
        • Dec 2005
        • 277

        i carry a Taurus PT145 Mil Pro and its freakin awesome. i got one of those comptac IWB holsters and u cant go wrong. iam not even sure what you could wear and it would show.

        Comment

        • #5
          metalhead357
          Calguns Addict
          • Jan 2006
          • 5546

          Originally posted by x2delight
          i carry a Taurus PT145 Mil Pro and its freakin awesome. i got one of those comptac IWB holsters and u cant go wrong. iam not even sure what you could wear and it would show.
          In 9 or 45? I pulled up a pic of a .45 on gunbroker. Interesting, looks about the same size (at least the .45) as the Glock 26. Is it a single stack?

          If'n ya' can believe it I actually used to CCW a Taurus Tracker .357 with a Big A** 4 inch barrel, but them dayssss is over! I went back to .45 for the 'big' carry but my need for a 'truly small' and reliable gun was waylayed....then the Mrs. just said last night (VERY long story short) that I need a smaller gun!

          Dont know about you~ but THAT sounds like BUYYYYY time to me So now the hunt resumes after too long a hiatus....
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered....
          I am not a number! I am a free man

          1.)All humanity would be better off if Stoooopid hurt.
          2.)Why is it that if guns are sooooo unsafe that you're 9 times more likely to die at the hands of your doctor?
          3.)Remember...Buy it cheap & stack it deep

          Comment

          • #6
            Apeman88
            Member
            • Mar 2006
            • 152

            HK P2000SK... packs nice... choice of 9mm or 40... I chose the 40... and choice of LEM trigger (v2) or DA/SA (v3). If you want smaller... Sig P232.. but it is a 380 but even smaller!

            Comment

            • #7
              Whitesmoke
              Senior Member
              • Jan 2006
              • 883

              I didn't think the Rohrbaugh R9 is on CA's approved handgun list?

              Comment

              • #8
                metalhead357
                Calguns Addict
                • Jan 2006
                • 5546

                Originally posted by Whitesmoke
                I didn't think the Rohrbaugh R9 is on CA's approved handgun list?
                I'm not seeing it........
                One unfortunately down 'lest I get lucky on a used one I can find/try/feel......
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered....
                I am not a number! I am a free man

                1.)All humanity would be better off if Stoooopid hurt.
                2.)Why is it that if guns are sooooo unsafe that you're 9 times more likely to die at the hands of your doctor?
                3.)Remember...Buy it cheap & stack it deep

                Comment

                • #9
                  metalhead357
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Jan 2006
                  • 5546

                  Originally posted by Apeman88
                  HK P2000SK... packs nice... choice of 9mm or 40... I chose the 40... and choice of LEM trigger (v2) or DA/SA (v3). If you want smaller... Sig P232.. but it is a 380 but even smaller!
                  Now that SIG is catching my attention. I already have several HK compacts......so while compact, they're right there with the Glock

                  Good god! I swore I never was own a glock and then it was the smallest at the time and the price I could afford....I almost said the same of SIG LOL! If'n I'm not careful you keep showing me guns that small you might 'convert' me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered....
                  I am not a number! I am a free man

                  1.)All humanity would be better off if Stoooopid hurt.
                  2.)Why is it that if guns are sooooo unsafe that you're 9 times more likely to die at the hands of your doctor?
                  3.)Remember...Buy it cheap & stack it deep

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    gotgunz
                    Senior Member
                    • Jan 2006
                    • 1972

                    CZ Rami 2075 in either 9mm or 40 S&W check them out at cz-usa.com

                    I am sure you will find what you need from them as I did.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      jdberger
                      CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                      CGN Contributor
                      • Oct 2005
                      • 8944

                      Not sure if it is on the list but a S&W 3913 is really slim. I'm not usually a fan of S&W autos (not including the 1911s) but this one has always worked for me.

                      Honestly, a j-frame revolver can disappear on anyone. And they can get pretty light, too
                      Rest in Peace - Andrew Breitbart. A true student of Alinsky.

                      90% of winning is simply showing up.

                      "Let's not lose sight of how much we reduced our carbon footprint by telecommuting this protest." 383green

                      sigpic
                      NRA Benefactor Member

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        om221
                        Senior Member
                        • Oct 2005
                        • 1242

                        Originally posted by metalhead357
                        Hey there~

                        Was wondering if some of ya' pistol gurus out there can speed up a search for me. Looking to upgrade (ok, some may say downgrade ) a pistol for CCW carry.

                        All mine on the permit are 'still pretty big' with the smallest being a glock 26 9mm. Though small, some of the attire I wear just can't/wont allow for the carry~ and I simply cant change some of that attire. I need a "deep cover" variety pistol.
                        • No revolvers, I really need the "slim" models; i.e. single stack Autos.
                        • Basically looking for another 9mm (or thereabout) about the size of a Walther PPK (or smaller). Is there still such a beast around? .380 IS a consideration but would still like to 'go bigger' than that......
                        • Would prefer to stay away from Keltec, as well as some of the 'questionable' lower end brands but open to all suggestions; links and/or pics would be greatly appreciated but my search-fu is capable if you're not prone to posting such.
                        • Will consider 'exotic' rounds~ just stuck in that rutt of 9mm or 45.
                        • Would be seriously considering a P7, though they're not all that small, if the cost of those babes wern't so high ((anybody know how to sweet talk Lund outta one of his cheap!!!!!!??????))

                        So let me have it~ if ya' got it; I need some thinking outside the normal box-o-mine that passes for a brain and my magazine subscriptions all tend toward rifles

                        Appreciate it,

                        Metalhead
                        OMG!!!!! Where can you get a CCW in NorCali????

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          metalhead357
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Jan 2006
                          • 5546

                          Originally posted by om221
                          OMG!!!!! Where can you get a CCW in NorCali????
                          In just about any county outside of the bay area....... Placer, Tehema, Butte, Shasta,humbolt, Eldorado, plumas.. etc, etc.....but it starts getting sketchy the further south ya' go............
                          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered....
                          I am not a number! I am a free man

                          1.)All humanity would be better off if Stoooopid hurt.
                          2.)Why is it that if guns are sooooo unsafe that you're 9 times more likely to die at the hands of your doctor?
                          3.)Remember...Buy it cheap & stack it deep

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            metalhead357
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Jan 2006
                            • 5546

                            Originally posted by han_cholo
                            -Kahr
                            -HK P7
                            -3" 1911

                            You may seriously want to take another look at a J frame snubnose. They are true pocket guns. I can wear that w/ some ADIDAS soccer shorts and a tshirt, the gun truely disappears. There is also a nice little thing called the "Clip Draw" which mounts onto the side of the gun. Think of a knife clip on the side of a revolver. Clip it on your waistband and you're off.
                            (((Lack of E-mail notification is making this suck!~ and yes, I've got a note into admin)))

                            Thanks for those suggestions, of the suggestions though the P7 is the only 'eye catcher' in your list but as already stated a tad high on the price list. I'm certainly going to look at the J frames again...... its just I am Soooooooo not wanting a revolver.

                            I really like the size of the walther PPK, also the size of the Beretta Tomcat but .380's, .32's, and .25's are all on the """""might as well carry my .22""""" in the mind.................

                            My buddy years ago had a (junker) called the Intertec CAT-9, was an awsomely small 9 for the time....but it was plagued (at least his was) with buffer insert (?) problems to the point where he was buying 10 at a time from distributors just to keep the gun functioning And whether or not they're still in business is irrelevant as I dont see it on the list......

                            Thanks folks for this~ its really friggin hard coming up some of these! And I know me, If I just walk into a gun shop I'm likely to spur buy.......spur buy another rifle instead I need a pistol game plan long before I walk in for this one.........

                            Keep 'em coming!!!!!!
                            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered....
                            I am not a number! I am a free man

                            1.)All humanity would be better off if Stoooopid hurt.
                            2.)Why is it that if guns are sooooo unsafe that you're 9 times more likely to die at the hands of your doctor?
                            3.)Remember...Buy it cheap & stack it deep

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              onley11
                              Member
                              • Jan 2006
                              • 224

                              Well you said no to these two, but a airweight s+w 38 is very concealable, and has moderate power with +p's.

                              And my kel tec p32 is so small that no one ever knows I have it on (it is a real pocket gun, I either carry it in my jeans pocket, or in the cell phone pocket of my carpenter jeans) It is what I carry when I need a gun, but I need to be able to do physical activity, change clothes, etc, and have it not show up. I can even palm it from my trunk to my pocket with out arising suspicion. And with corbons it has a lot more power than other 32 ammo. Good penetration and expansion. Supposed to be equal to a non expanding 38. And I can hit chest sized targets out to 25 yards and head shots to 15.

                              Guess it just depends on how much smaller than a glock 26 you want to go. How much you are able to give up in shootablity, power, and round count? Heck, I'd upgrade to a 27 to get the 40 cal and a little pinky grip gives you 10rounds of 40. I mean if you're gonna carry...

                              Maybe you can share the part of the long story about just exactly why the gun has to be smaller? Cause you're gonna give up power and/or round count. I love my little kel tec, but if I'm going into a situation where a gun is more than a security blanket, I've got my 357 or full sized double stack 40 cal sti. Or AR...

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1