Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Smith&Wesson NightGuard Revolvers Experience?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • insin
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2006
    • 952

    Smith&Wesson NightGuard Revolvers Experience?

    I feel the need to purchase my first revolver. I have posted another thread regarding their uses while hiking. As much as I look around, I am tending toward the S&W Night Guard series revolvers. Their light weight, black finish, and short barrel I believe play a part.

    Anyone have any thoughts on the Night Guard Series? In Particular I was thinking about the Model 327 2.5" barrel 8 round .357mag version. However any input on the Night Guard series would be appreciated. I realize that many believe that a longer barrel would be a better buy, however I really am not primarily into revolvers (vs. many semiautos) and I think that in my personal case, the snubby would be more appropriate to my taste. I don't plan on this being a "target" handgun, and would really only categorize it as a personal defense weapon. I figure if my life depended on it, a "snappy" .357 would not be a problem.

    Any thoughts? I am currently going to be in the market, so if any of you owners want to let yours go, I would definately appreciate a heads up. But otherwise what do you think of the Smith&Wesson Night Guard Series?

    Just for reference:

    Last edited by insin; 02-19-2009, 1:33 AM.
  • #2
    insin
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2006
    • 952

    WOW... after looking into a .44Mag the Model 329 Night Guard - .44MAG looks like it could be an option.

    .44Mag from a 2.5" barrel seems "interesting"....

    Too bad its not on the Roster *sigh*
    Last edited by insin; 02-19-2009, 1:54 AM.

    Comment

    • #3
      Quiet
      retired Goon
      • Mar 2007
      • 30242

      Currently, none of the S&W Night Guard (NG) series are on the approved list.

      However, the S&W PD series is on the approved list and is the forerunner to the S&W NG series.
      Same concept; scandium frame, short barrel.

      But, the S&W PD series (wood grips, fiber optic front sight) is being discontinued for the S&W NG series (rubber grips, tritium front night sight).

      I have a S&W Model 325PD (2.5" barrel) and like it very much.
      Recoil is stout but managable and it's supprisingly lightweight.
      Not totally sold on the ILS though and wish S&W would just get rid of it.

      I wouldn't mind getting a Model 325NG just to increase my .45ACP wheelgun collection.
      sigpic

      "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

      Comment

      • #4
        insin
        Senior Member
        • Feb 2006
        • 952

        Originally posted by Quiet
        Currently, none of the S&W Night Guard (NG) series are on the approved list.
        327NG / Alloy, stainless steel Revolver 2.5" .357 Magnum 9/23/2009

        The Night Guard models are on the roster.... This is the one I was considering.

        Comment

        • #5
          insin
          Senior Member
          • Feb 2006
          • 952

          Bump...Any other feedback/comments?

          Comment

          • #6
            Gryff
            I need a LIFE!!
            • May 2006
            • 12693

            396NG - .44 Special

            or even better...

            310NG - 10mm!
            My friends and family disavow all knowledge of my existence, let alone my opinions.

            Comment

            • #7
              insin
              Senior Member
              • Feb 2006
              • 952

              Good choices...

              Comment

              • #8
                masameet
                Veteran Member
                • Jun 2008
                • 4487

                At last November's Calguns Turkey Shoot at Chabot, I shot a S&W Airlite 329PD .44 Mag. It is deceptively light and a handsome revolver, esp. with the red front site. But the recoil feels worse than being kicked by a mule. After the second shot I handed it back to the owner and thanked him, as I didn't want to risk breaking my hand. (The owner bought it specifically to use against bears when hiking and overnight camping.) At 10 yards though it was pretty accurate.

                Here's a YouTube video of it ...
                x

                "Let those find fault whose wit's so very small,
                They've need to show that they can think at all;
                Errors, like straws, upon the surface flow;
                He who would search for pearls, must dive below." -- John Dryden

                Comment

                • #9
                  Californio
                  CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                  CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                  • Dec 2006
                  • 4169

                  I find Speer Gold Dot 200gr. 44 special a really easy load to shoot DA in the lite weight snubby guns. 44 mag just does not lend itself to followup shots in the lite weight models. The heavy Alaskan makes much more sense for 44 mag.
                  "The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    gosparx
                    Senior Member
                    • Mar 2007
                    • 602

                    IMHO, any gun you plan on using as a 'self defense' gun also, in a sense, needs to be a 'target gun'. By that I mean, you need to spend time at the range shooting any gun you plan on using for self defense.

                    Too many people I know that bought guns just for defense shoot them once... then rarely, if ever after that. Once again, IMHO, if and when the time comes to use that weapon in a crisis situation, you better be able to use it and use it accurately without having to think about it.

                    Although I have several 44 mags and several other guns that can really give a good kick (S&W 500 & 460 and others), I would suggest something along the lines of a 686 (.357/.38), in steel (for the weight/mass) and with at least a 4" barrel, as your first gun. If for no other reason then it's a lot easier (and more fun) to shoot and it would still be a good defensive gun.

                    Like I said, I love (I mean really love) the big caliber guns, but I wouldn't suggest one as a first gun. But that's just my thoughts and take on things.

                    Regardless, get something you will shoot once a month or at least once every other month, just so you can stay proficient with it and aren't afraid of it. (and I say that being a little afraid of a couple of my guns depending on what I've got it loaded with!!!)
                    If you know how many guns you have... you don't have enough guns.

                    People need to remember that the same guys who wrote the 1st Amendment, also wrote the 2nd Amendment... and for the same exact reasons.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      11Z50
                      Banned
                      • Sep 2002
                      • 1997

                      I own a 327 and find it to be a very good carry piece.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        insin
                        Senior Member
                        • Feb 2006
                        • 952

                        Yeah, maybe .357mag would be sufficient here in California.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        UA-8071174-1