Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Replacing Front Night Sight on Beretta 96F

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • five.five-six
    CGN Contributor
    • May 2006
    • 34928

    Replacing Front Night Sight on Beretta 96F

    I have spent about an hour searching the inter-webs and I'm not really clear on how to go about replacing the Tritium inserts or do I just break them and fill the holes with paint?
  • #2
    land locked
    Senior Member
    • Oct 2008
    • 1015

    Is the front sight dovetailed? If it is you can drift it out yourself.

    Are they trijicon night sights? If you send them in they will replace the vials.

    If fixed check with Beretta USA or Midwest Gun Works. They might be able to help.


    Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

    Comment

    • #3
      five.five-six
      CGN Contributor
      • May 2006
      • 34928

      Not dovetailed but I believe they are trijicon.

      Comment

      • #4
        land locked
        Senior Member
        • Oct 2008
        • 1015

        If they are Trijicon, read up on this page.



        From their website.

        "Yes, Trijicon can install our replacement sights on weapons listed in our price sheet. If your handgun is a Semi-automatic you only need to send in the slide. Only the frame needs to be sent for Revolvers. Please call our Customer Service Department at 1-800-338-0563 for shipping instructions and pricing information or submit a Return Authorization Request by clicking here."

        Comment

        • #5
          CandG
          Spent $299 for this text!
          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
          • Apr 2014
          • 16970

          I think breaking the glass tritium insert is a radiation hazard, isn't it?
          Settle down, folks. The new "ghost gun" regulations probably don't do what you think they do.


          Comment

          • #6
            five.five-six
            CGN Contributor
            • May 2006
            • 34928

            Originally posted by cockedandglocked
            I think breaking the glass tritium insert is a radiation hazard, isn't it?
            I think if there's no more light comeing out, all the radiation is all used up.

            Comment

            • #7
              1911su16b870
              CGN/CGSSA Contributor
              CGN Contributor
              • Dec 2006
              • 7654

              Get an RMA from Trijjicon, send in slide to them and they will replace the bulb with a new vial of tritium.
              "Bruen, the Bruen opinion, I believe, discarded the intermediate scrutiny test that I also thought was not very useful; and has, instead, replaced it with a text history and tradition test." Judge Benitez 12-12-2022

              NRA Endowment Life Member, CRPA Life Member
              GLOCK (Gen 1-5, G42/43), Colt AR15/M16/M4, Sig P320, Sig P365, Beretta 90 series, Remington 870, HK UMP Factory Armorer
              Remington Nylon, 1911, HK, Ruger, Hudson H9 Armorer, just for fun!
              I instruct it if you shoot it.

              Comment

              • #8
                SandHill
                Senior Member
                • Oct 2012
                • 2210

                The Beretta 92FS is kind of complicated for night sights. The rear is dovetailed, but the front sight is integral to the slide. So the front night sight has to be drilled into the slide. A little inconvenient when you have to replace the tritium vial, but not a big deal. You just sent the slide in to have the vial replaced. Until recently.

                Tooltech and Trijicon both did this until about a year ago. Then ToolTech stopped doing them, saying the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (! Yohsuh!) had some new regs that prevented it. Trijicon will apparently still replace the vial as long as the slide is already drilled for night sights, but won't drill it if isn't already. Better call them first to confirm.

                Long but informative thread on the subject on BerettaForum.net here: http://berettaforum.net/vb/showthrea...rijicon+sights
                Pooty Poot, you sure screwed the pooch this time! - Ghost of Roza Shanina, WWII Soviet Sniper

                Comment

                • #9
                  five.five-six
                  CGN Contributor
                  • May 2006
                  • 34928

                  I think I am going to just buy some tritium vials and try my hand at replacing them myself

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    five.five-six
                    CGN Contributor
                    • May 2006
                    • 34928

                    OK, I did it, it came out great, cost about $30

                    I couldn't figure out what kind of white glue to use to get the vials to stay in place so I used spray paint.. We'll see how it holds up
                    Last edited by five.five-six; 05-08-2017, 6:42 PM.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Carcassonne
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2012
                      • 4897

                      Originally posted by cockedandglocked
                      I think breaking the glass tritium insert is a radiation hazard, isn't it?


                      You will get more injured from the broken glass vial than from the Tritium.

                      Tritium is H3; a molecule with 3 hydrogen atoms. A regular hydrogen molecule is H2. H3 is lighter than a Helium atom.

                      Unless you have your face directly on top of the Tritium vial and take a deep breath the very moment the glass vial breaks, it won't affect you. If you do happen to breathe in some H3 from a larger vial, it is the equivalent radiation of 1 modern dentist's X-ray. You will probably get more radiation being in the sun for an hour.


                      I do not agree with this video. I am just showing it for entertainment.



                      .
                      Last edited by Carcassonne; 05-08-2017, 7:56 PM.
                      Be sure to ask your doctor if depression, rectal bleeding, and suicide are right for you.

                      In the United States a person's expertise on a subject is inversely proportional to their knowledge of the subject: The less they know about something, the more they become an expert on it.

                      I am being held hostage in a giant insane asylum called Earth.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        five.five-six
                        CGN Contributor
                        • May 2006
                        • 34928

                        It worked, lets see if they fall out when I shoot it LOL




                        Attached Files

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        UA-8071174-1