Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

How to shoot a Glock!!!!!

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • bigchelis
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2007
    • 667

    How to shoot a Glock!!!!!

    When I got my fist Glock I did my online homework and eventually figured out what everyone else does with 2 stage triggers.

    1. aim in direction of target, but don't line up the sights yet.
    2. pull trigger, but stop before the 2nd stage is pressed.
    3. now, line up the front sight with target.
    4. slowly and with utmost control pull the last stage of triger.
    5. Keep firearm nice and tight as you do so. I hold it like my 1911 except my 1911 allows me to ride the safety, but other than that its the same hold.
    6. When weapon is made safe and you are in the comfort of youre home dry fire the Glock hundreds of times if you have to, but learn where youre Glocks 2nd stage begins.


    I am no expert, but learning here and there I managed to reduce my groupings significantly. I have told at least 8 other people about this, sometimes complete strangers at the range and wallah they go from shooting 15in groups to under 5in. Most people who own Glocks already do this, but this trick works for Beretta, Sig, HK, and my Kahr.

    I know this is nothing new, but I wish someone had told me to master the trigger mechanism and not just perfect practice makes you better.
    Last edited by bigchelis; 02-13-2009, 1:28 PM.
    Several Glocks
  • #2
    Black Majik
    Calguns Addict
    • Oct 2005
    • 9695

    Excellent. That "1st stage" is known as taking up the slack, the take-up or "prepping the trigger" for those Bruce Gray fans.

    The Glock trigger is fantastic, in the sense that it's slack/takeup travel isn't as long as other DA/SA guns such as the SIG, Beretta, Walther, or even a SAO BHP. Also worth mentioning the Glock trigger has a very short reset, so you don't have to go through the whole travel of the take up. Just reset, prep and break the shot for subsequent shots.

    Otherwise, sound list you got there.

    Comment

    • #3
      cal3gunner
      Senior Member
      • Jun 2008
      • 1629

      Spend $20 and put a 3.5 connector in, replace the firing pin spring with a lighter one and polish everything. That will shrink group sizes if you know how to grip the gun and how to pull the trigger

      You basically have it right with your numbered instructions.
      I don't like #1. Line your sights up before touching the trigger.
      #4 is ok if you are going for precision shooting and you can keep the gun steady. The longer you aim at a target the more likely your eyes will get fatigued and your vision will suffer.

      As soon as my sights are on target, i'm pulling the trigger. In a real life situation you don't have time to do all this thinking, you need to practice aquiring the target fast, shooting fast and being accurate. Don't shoot so fast you can't be accurate, but don't take forever.

      Comment

      • #4
        ZirconJohn
        Rattlesnake Hunter
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • Sep 2007
        • 10376

        Originally posted by Black Majik
        Excellent. That "1st stage" is known as taking up the slack, the take-up or "prepping the trigger" for those Bruce Gray fans.

        The Glock trigger is fantastic, in the sense that it's slack/takeup travel isn't as long as other DA/SA guns such as the SIG, Beretta, Walther, or even a SAO BHP. Also worth mentioning the Glock trigger has a very short reset, so you don't have to go through the whole travel of the take up. Just reset, prep and break the shot for subsequent shots.

        Otherwise, sound list you got there.
        Exactly!

        One more on your list, if you don't mind me adding, is the Springfield XD when compared to the Glock... this is always the main feature of selling point when comparing these two very popular makes & models.

        Glock always wins in this comparison.
        .
        "A rattlesnake that doesn't bite teaches you nothing" -- Jessamyn West
        "Only God has the touch to create these magnificent rattlesnakes and their signature greatness in nature" -- unknown
        .
        ......GO HERE FOR--► My YouTube Channel

        Comment

        • #5
          socalgunrunner
          Senior Member
          • Mar 2008
          • 614

          Originally posted by bigchelis
          I have told at least 8 other people about this, sometimes complete strangers at the range and wallah they go from shooting 15in groups to under 5in.
          Not to be a jerk or anything, but the correct term is "Voila" (not wallah).
          "People crushed by law, have no hopes but from power. If laws are their enemies, they will be enemies to laws; and those who have much to hope and nothing to lose, will always be dangerous" - Edmund Burke (1777)

          Comment

          • #6
            Fate
            Calguns Addict
            • Apr 2006
            • 9545

            I thought for sure this was going to be a thread on the "dawble glawk."

            sigpic "On bended knee is no way to be free." - Eddie Vedder, "Guaranteed"

            "Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." -Thomas Jefferson
            , in a letter to his nephew Peter Carr dated August 19, 1785

            Comment

            • #7
              rkt88edmo
              Reptile&Samurai Moderator
              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
              • Dec 2002
              • 10062

              Take a training class and find an IPSC group to play with - if you are excited now you will ecstatic after those.
              If it was a snake, it would have bit me.
              Use the goog to search calguns

              Comment

              • #8
                Turbinator
                Administrator
                CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                • Oct 2005
                • 11960

                Isn't taking up the slack on any trigger part of normal shooting? Assuming there is any slack to take up?

                Turby

                Comment

                • #9
                  bigchelis
                  Senior Member
                  • Dec 2007
                  • 667

                  I did some upgrades....

                  I got the Glock apart and did the .25cent trigger job and put a 3.5lbs connector. Now, the pull is smother and I had to re-learn where the take up ends and the 2nd stage begins. It is much more fun this way, plus it did help me in the groupings department.


                  My other buddies with stock Glocks were shocked and amazed when they shot my G32 the first time after the trigger mods. Now, I have 3 other Glocks to do these mods to. I am a fan of the 3.5lb connector with .25cent trigger job. IMHO the trigger pull is down to 4.5lbs now.

                  What other tricks do I need to know about when shooting Glocks?

                  Thank you for all the info folks keep it comming. bigchelis
                  Last edited by bigchelis; 02-13-2009, 1:36 PM.
                  Several Glocks

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Black Majik
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Oct 2005
                    • 9695

                    Originally posted by bigchelis
                    I got the Glock apart and did the .25cent trigger job and put a 3.5lbs connector. Now, the pull is smother and I had to relearn where it breaks.


                    My other buddies with stock Glocks were shocked and amazed when they shot my G32 the first time after the trigger mods. Now, I have 3 other Glocks to do these mods to. I am a fan of the 3.5lb connector with .25cent trigger job. IMHO the trigger pull is down to 4.5lbs now.
                    Respringing the gun also makes a very noticeable difference.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      bigchelis
                      Senior Member
                      • Dec 2007
                      • 667

                      which springs?

                      Originally posted by Black Majik
                      Respringing the gun also makes a very noticeable difference.
                      which springs?
                      Several Glocks

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        zman
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jun 2008
                        • 3639

                        So this works on a Walther P99QA then? The QA has always been referred to as "Glock-style trigger".

                        Super Robot VOLTES V

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Black Majik
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Oct 2005
                          • 9695

                          Originally posted by bigchelis
                          which springs?
                          Striker, plunger and trigger spring.



                          Go under Glock and it's the competition package spring kit.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            bigchelis
                            Senior Member
                            • Dec 2007
                            • 667

                            yes,

                            Originally posted by zman
                            So this works on a Walther P99QA then? The QA has always been referred to as "Glock-style trigger".

                            It works on any trigger system with a lot of take up. The Berettas I have shot have a super long take up and without this I would shot all over the place. In fact, I could never hit the center mass of the targets prior to this.
                            Several Glocks

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              jmf_tracy
                              Senior Member
                              • Jun 2007
                              • 1242

                              [QUOTE=bigchelis;2032349]When I got my fist Glock I did my online homework and eventually figured out what everyone else does with 2 stage triggers.

                              1. aim in direction of target, but don't line up the sights yet.
                              2. pull trigger, but stop before the 2nd stage is pressed.
                              3. now, line up the front sight with target.
                              4. slowly and with utmost control pull the last stage of triger.
                              5. Keep firearm nice and tight as you do so. I hold it like my 1911 except my 1911 allows me to ride the safety, but other than that its the same hold.

                              5.5 trap the trigger all the way back, reaquire your target, let trigger out just enough to reset, squeeze trigger and keep your eye on the front sight while maintaing sight alignment and sight picture. repeat as necessary.

                              6. When weapon is made safe and you are in the comfort of youre home dry fire the Glock hundreds of times if you have to, but learn where youre Glocks 2nd stage begins.


                              there, i fixed it for you. not just for glocks, but all guns, rifles & shotguns included.
                              https://jeffreyprather.com/
                              https://x22report.com
                              https://www.outofshadows.org/
                              RIP https://robertdavidsteele.com/ RIP

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1