Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Glock Gen 3 versus Gen 4

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • loanman
    Member
    • Sep 2009
    • 338

    Glock Gen 3 versus Gen 4

    Looking at purchasing a used Glock 17 or 19 and I am aware Gen 4 models are not California approved but can find them used. My question is what are the differences between the 2 gens that would justify paying almost twice as much for a Gen 4

    Can someone help explain the differences between Gen 3 and 4?

    thank you in advance
  • #2
    AmpedUp
    Member
    • Apr 2009
    • 383

    That would justify the expense? Nothing would. You can change the back straps... but if a Gen 3 fits you just fine, it's a waste. Like the idea of a beaver tail back strap? You can add one with a grip force adaptor to a Gen 3. You can swap the mag release to the left hand configuration on a Gen 4... if you are a righty who cares. The mag release is bigger on a Gen 4 and it has a dual recoil spring. I own both since I moved to UT, I like my Gen 3's just fine. Only have a Gen 4 for ease of putting a red dot on it.

    Comment

    • #3
      808@515
      Senior Member
      • May 2013
      • 1047

      Also the Gen 4 has a slightly smaller grip than Gen 3 when the backstraps are removed.

      Comment

      • #4
        JDW67
        Senior Member
        • Mar 2011
        • 2001

        I have small girly hands, so the Gen 4 G19 fits me a little better. I got mine during SSE, so the increase in price was not that dramatic. I think it was around $25 more than a Gen 3.

        Comment

        • #5
          SkyHawk
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Sep 2012
          • 23531

          Gen 4 has dual recoil spring system, and a short frame that many people with small - medium hands find better suited to them. For a lot of people, the size difference is all the difference in the world: it's the difference between liking Glocks or not liking Glocks. Also has backstraps to make the grip the same size as Gen 3 or even larger for people with very large hands, and beavertail backstraps.

          Gen 4 has a grip texture that is more aggressive than Gen 3.

          And let's face facts: if the Gen 4 was not more desirable than gen 3, there would be no price difference in CA. Justified or not, you will get more from it if you ever decide to sell it.
          Last edited by SkyHawk; 02-06-2017, 7:25 PM.
          Click here for my iTrader Feedback thread: https://www.calguns.net/forum/market...r-feedback-100

          Comment

          • #6
            Carcassonne
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2012
            • 4897

            Originally posted by loanman
            Looking at purchasing a used Glock 17 or 19 and I am aware Gen 4 models are not California approved but can find them used. My question is what are the differences between the 2 gens that would justify paying almost twice as much for a Gen 4

            Can someone help explain the differences between Gen 3 and 4?

            thank you in advance
            Gen 4 has inserts to make the grip bigger, it has the ability to change the magazine release to the right side for left handed shooters, and has a double recoil spring. The texture on the grip is also different as someone above mentioned.

            My opinion is that the Gen 4 is worth a little more money if you lived in a free State and could get it at MSRP. It is not worth the California price. I personally don't think the dual springs and ambidextrous mag release are worth the extra cost. The grip insert are worth a little more because I have big hands.


            .
            Last edited by Carcassonne; 02-06-2017, 7:42 PM.
            Be sure to ask your doctor if depression, rectal bleeding, and suicide are right for you.

            In the United States a person's expertise on a subject is inversely proportional to their knowledge of the subject: The less they know about something, the more they become an expert on it.

            I am being held hostage in a giant insane asylum called Earth.

            Comment

            • #7
              ap3572001
              Calguns Addict
              • Jun 2007
              • 6039

              I carry Glocks 9mm for 23 years. In 9mm , I don't care if it gen 3 or gen 4. Now I carry gen3 and gen4. On and off duty.
              Last edited by ap3572001; 02-06-2017, 7:57 PM.

              Comment

              • #8
                NorCalGlock9
                Member
                • Dec 2014
                • 447

                I've had both, they're the same to me. Don't waste the money on the gen 4

                Comment

                • #9
                  Erion929
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2013
                  • 4706

                  For me, it was either $900 for a G34 Gen4 or $600 for a Gen3.

                  Shot both.....got the Gen3 and saved $300. Works/shoots great for me!
                  Join Active Junky for online rebates....$10 to both you and me!

                  https://www.activejunky.com/invite/238017


                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Essj000
                    Senior Member
                    • Jan 2013
                    • 584

                    Originally posted by loanman
                    Looking at purchasing a used Glock 17 or 19 and I am aware Gen 4 models are not California approved but can find them used. My question is what are the differences between the 2 gens that would justify paying almost twice as much for a Gen 4

                    Can someone help explain the differences between Gen 3 and 4?

                    thank you in advance
                    I traded the gen 3 and kept the gen 4. The backstrap helps if u have big hands. having shot both, the gen 4 has A softer recoil due to the dual spring, I say go for the gen 4 cuz u only have to purchase the gun once but have to purchase ammo many many times anyway

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      loanman
                      Member
                      • Sep 2009
                      • 338

                      great information guys, thank you

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        kozumasbullitt
                        CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                        • Oct 2009
                        • 2912

                        Originally posted by loanman
                        Looking at purchasing a used Glock 17 or 19 and I am aware Gen 4 models are not California approved but can find them used. My question is what are the differences between the 2 gens that would justify paying almost twice as much for a Gen 4

                        Can someone help explain the differences between Gen 3 and 4?

                        thank you in advance
                        I have both and only bought Gen 4s when SSE allowed me to get them at the same price as Gen 3s. It is insane to spend what Gen 4s are fetching currently because they are only marginally better than Gen 3s. For $1000, there are many much better pistols out there.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          kozumasbullitt
                          CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                          • Oct 2009
                          • 2912

                          Originally posted by Essj000
                          I traded the gen 3 and kept the gen 4. The backstrap helps if u have big hands. having shot both, the gen 4 has A softer recoil due to the dual spring, I say go for the gen 4 cuz u only have to purchase the gun once but have to purchase ammo many many times anyway
                          Man, I have been looking for a fish gill 17....

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            IVC
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Jul 2010
                            • 17640

                            Per our overlords in CA, Gen 4 is *UNSAFE* - don't use or touch it if you value your life. Gen 3 is the last safe Glock ever produced.

                            /sarcasm
                            sigpicNRA Benefactor Member

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              kalapa
                              Member
                              • Jan 2014
                              • 370

                              Originally posted by Essj000
                              I traded the gen 3 and kept the gen 4. The backstrap helps if u have big hands. having shot both, the gen 4 has A softer recoil due to the dual spring, I say go for the gen 4 cuz u only have to purchase the gun once but have to purchase ammo many many times anyway
                              I would've kept that fish gill gen 3!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1