Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

DOJ just cashed my check... what's next?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • MarikinaMan
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2015
    • 4864

    DOJ just cashed my check... what's next?

    I did an intrafamilial transfer of handguns. I just saw that the DOJ cashed the check.

    What happens next? Do I get a piece of paper saying the gun is now in my name?

    I registered the guns as I shoot them. Ergo, theyre in my car often. For 20 bucks, I thought it was a minor expense to avoid what could be a big headachle. Possesion and transport of an unregistered handgun.
  • #2
    FalconLair
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2012
    • 3985

    i did an intrafamilial a few years ago on one of my dad's guns when i still lived in CA

    DOJ sent me a letter stating that they had received the form and updated their records - that's about it, took several weeks to get the letter
    Originally posted by Barang
    I! hate! you! FalconLair.
    Originally posted by JagerDog
    I hate you FalconLair!
    Originally Posted by JTROKS
    I hate you FalconLair! I double hate you if you get it before Christmas!
    Originally posted by gcvt
    They hate you FalconLair
    Originally posted by Greta
    HOW DARE YOU!! I hate you FalconLair

    Comment

    • #3
      jon94520
      Senior Member
      • Oct 2016
      • 762

      Ditto, you will get a confirmation letter. Mine was signed by Kamala
      BUY AMERICAN

      Comment

      • #4
        ProtectThe2nd
        In Memoriam
        • Mar 2016
        • 1225

        It will come...pony express...lol
        sigpic
        ESCAPE IF YOU CAN


        A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

        "The Second Amendment ex-tends, prima facie, to all instruments that constitute bearable arms, even those that were not in existence at the time of the founding." - The United States Supreme Court -

        Comment

        • #5
          Capybara
          CGSSA Coordinator
          CGN Contributor
          • Feb 2012
          • 15643

          Originally posted by jon94520
          Ditto, you will get a confirmation letter. Mine was signed by Kamala
          Did you throw some darts at it?
          NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor, Shotgun Instructor and Range Safety Officer

          sigpic

          Comment

          • #6
            jcwatchdog
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2012
            • 2609

            Originally posted by MarikinaMan
            Possesion and transport of an unregistered handgun.

            I don't think this law exists. There are a lot of hand guns that are not registered. They didn't always need to be, and it's not against the law to own one and transport it.

            Comment

            • #7
              Librarian
              Admin and Poltergeist
              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
              • Oct 2005
              • 44689

              Originally posted by jcwatchdog
              I don't think this law exists. There are a lot of hand guns that are not registered. They didn't always need to be, and it's not against the law to own one and transport it.
              You're correct - no law against possession or transport of an unregistered handgun. (In 2017 and earlier).

              The form the OP filed documents a completed action. You and he need not wait for any acknowledgement.
              ARCHIVED Calguns Foundation Wiki here: http://web.archive.org/web/201908310...itle=Main_Page

              Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!

              Comment

              • #8
                MarikinaMan
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2015
                • 4864

                Originally posted by jcwatchdog
                I don't think this law exists. There are a lot of hand guns that are not registered. They didn't always need to be, and it's not against the law to own one and transport it.
                As far as I know, it exists in the form of an increased penalty when coupled with concealed carry. When one is caught outside the home with an unregistered firearm, it goes from a citation to a felony.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Librarian
                  Admin and Poltergeist
                  CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                  • Oct 2005
                  • 44689

                  Originally posted by MarikinaMan
                  As far as I know, it exists in the form of an increased penalty when coupled with concealed carry. When one is caught outside the home with an unregistered firearm, it goes from a citation to a felony.
                  Unless, of course, it is carried unloaded in a locked case - the legal way to transport a handgun without CCW.
                  ARCHIVED Calguns Foundation Wiki here: http://web.archive.org/web/201908310...itle=Main_Page

                  Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    opass
                    Junior Member
                    • Sep 2016
                    • 97

                    I also send the intrafamilial transfer of 4 bullet button long guns to my wife on Dec 22th by next day mail. DOJ cashed the check on Jan 5th, 2017. Nothing in the mail as of today. Getting little worry now as well.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      ProtectThe2nd
                      In Memoriam
                      • Mar 2016
                      • 1225

                      Our DOJ letter easily took a couple months after check cashing...

                      Be patient
                      sigpic
                      ESCAPE IF YOU CAN


                      A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

                      "The Second Amendment ex-tends, prima facie, to all instruments that constitute bearable arms, even those that were not in existence at the time of the founding." - The United States Supreme Court -

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        1911whore
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2006
                        • 2993

                        after they cash the check you will receive a letter stating you are the owner, too easy.
                        "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Ben Franklin

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          steel30
                          Senior Member
                          • Aug 2013
                          • 2042

                          Mine took about 6 weeks from when I mailed the paperwork to receiving the docs in the mail. If I remember correctly, they say up to 12 weeks...
                          sigpic

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            MarikinaMan
                            Veteran Member
                            • Nov 2015
                            • 4864

                            Originally posted by Librarian
                            Unless, of course, it is carried unloaded in a locked case - the legal way to transport a handgun without CCW.
                            That is correct.
                            Last edited by MarikinaMan; 01-27-2017, 5:52 AM.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              opass
                              Junior Member
                              • Sep 2016
                              • 97

                              Forms submitted on Dec 22nd, 2016.

                              Check was cashed on Jan 5th, 2017.

                              Official DOJ letter received on April 4th, 2017.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1