Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

CZ 75 Grip Pinch/Bite?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • mrboma
    Senior Member
    • Jul 2008
    • 1307

    CZ 75 Grip Pinch/Bite?

    CZ Guru's,

    Wife and I did some upgrades for this years IDPA & Steel Challenge matches (hopefully some USPSA also). We grabbed 2 new SP01's, ordered everything on the Cajun menu (thanks David) and had them rebuilt. Needless to say we are in love.

    My only issue so far is the damn grip bites me in the right hand when I grip it like an Tier One Operator. I watch Bob Vogel videos while I sleep and definitely try for a higher than normal grip but I'm not sure that's the issue.

    I am running the CZ Custom Thin Aluminums grips on a stock frame as seen in this image. Custom red arrow to show offending bitey/pinchy area.



    Anyone have a solution to the problem?
    Regards,
    Mike
  • #2
    tankton
    Senior Member
    • Oct 2014
    • 511

    Some of the CZs (almost all of the newer updates and variants not on the CA roster) have a nicer (slightly wider, more contoured, etc) beavertail design.

    The CZ75 SA (specific model), SP01, PCR, P01 all have the newer design, and are on the CA roster.

    Comment

    • #3
      Gh0sT
      Member
      • Jul 2009
      • 246

      Originally posted by mrboma
      CZ Guru's,

      Wife and I did some upgrades for this years IDPA & Steel Challenge matches (hopefully some USPSA also). We grabbed 2 new SP01's, ordered everything on the Cajun menu (thanks David) and had them rebuilt. Needless to say we are in love.

      My only issue so far is the damn grip bites me in the right hand when I grip it like an Tier One Operator. I watch Bob Vogel videos while I sleep and definitely try for a higher than normal grip but I'm not sure that's the issue.

      I am running the CZ Custom Thin Aluminums grips on a stock frame as seen in this image. Custom red arrow to show offending bitey/pinchy area.



      Anyone have a solution to the problem?
      Regards,
      Mike
      Easiest way? Put a piece of grip tape on it
      IDPA: A53884 - ESP EXP
      USPSA: A88221 - Prod/G

      My YouTube Match Videos

      Comment

      • #4
        Strykeback
        Senior Member
        • Mar 2012
        • 1574

        Looks like wrong grip was sent to you. That doesn't fill in or fit to the contour at all. That would bug the crap out of me.

        Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

        Comment

        • #5
          mrboma
          Senior Member
          • Jul 2008
          • 1307

          Originally posted by Gh0sT
          Easiest way? Put a piece of grip tape on it
          Add a gritty surface to an already annoying pointy one?

          Originally posted by Strykeback
          Looks like wrong grip was sent to you. That doesn't fill in or fit to the contour at all. That would bug the crap out of me.
          Exact grip I ordered. I have been shooting another CZ with the CZC thin aluminum and liked them so it was an easy choice.

          Regards,
          Mike

          Comment

          • #6
            tbc
            Calguns Addict
            • Jun 2011
            • 5955

            I am still having the same grip bite with my CZ's but I just ignore it since I only punch paper at the range.

            This one may work.

            Comment

            • #7
              Strykeback
              Senior Member
              • Mar 2012
              • 1574

              What I'm saying is did you order for the correct model? I've seen plenty of CZs with the alluninim and other thin sexy grips and never seen that gap or wedge.

              Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

              Comment

              • #8
                tbc
                Calguns Addict
                • Jun 2011
                • 5955

                Originally posted by Strykeback
                What I'm saying is did you order for the correct model? I've seen plenty of CZs with the alluninim and other thin sexy grips and never seen that gap or wedge.

                Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

                It's the correct model. I have three of them.

                The picture below is from the CZ custom:

                Comment

                • #9
                  mrboma
                  Senior Member
                  • Jul 2008
                  • 1307

                  Originally posted by tbc
                  I am still having the same grip bite with my CZ's but I just ignore it since I only punch paper at the range.

                  This one may work.

                  tbc,

                  I have seen those but never felt them. To me it was the thinness that sold me on the aluminum's. My wife loves them on hers.

                  Originally posted by Strykeback
                  What I'm saying is did you order for the correct model? I've seen plenty of CZs with the alluninim and other thin sexy grips and never seen that gap or wedge.
                  Originally posted by tbc
                  It's the correct model. I have three of them.
                  The picture below is from the CZ custom:
                  Stryk,

                  tbc is right, my original picture was also taken from CZ Customs site.
                  I am about to strip and clean a Shadow right now and it too has the bite point.

                  I'll be calling David at CGW for his opinion on Monday. I was just hoping one of our members that competes with their CZ 75 had a fix for it.

                  Appreciate the replies.
                  Regards,
                  Mike

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Strykeback
                    Senior Member
                    • Mar 2012
                    • 1574

                    Hey keep us updated if you get a fix. I've been wanting an sp01 to race out for competition as well but have never ran anything other than the spongy rubber grips

                    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      bubbala
                      Senior Member
                      • Mar 2012
                      • 904

                      Looks like it's going to
                      be a feature of those thin grips. They have that wide chamfer that exposes the corner of the frame.
                      How do you feel about filing off the corner and using some cold blue?
                      Did something like that on a cz 83 that had a sharp edge on the beaver tail.
                      Better yet, build up a little ramp on the grip to relieve the sharpness.
                      Last edited by bubbala; 12-31-2016, 7:51 PM.
                      NRA Range Safety Officer pistol and reloading instructor

                      https://www.facebook.com/pages/HL-Se...=photos_stream

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        offrdmania
                        Veteran Member
                        • Mar 2008
                        • 4053

                        Thats how thin grips mount. They do that to make the grip thin. The stock grips cover over that corner.
                        Previous iTrader rating, over 150 Positive ratings

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          mrboma
                          Senior Member
                          • Jul 2008
                          • 1307

                          Originally posted by bubbala
                          Looks like it's going to
                          be a feature of those thin grips. They have that wide chamfer that exposes the corner of the frame.
                          How do you feel about filing off the corner and using some cold blue?
                          Did something like that on a cz 83 that had a sharp edge on the beaver tail.
                          Better yet, build up a little ramp on the grip to relieve the sharpness.
                          I'm leaning towards building the grip up a bit to soften the corner. If that still produces a bite I'll file it down and refinish the area.
                          I will let you all know what I figure out.

                          Happy New Year.
                          Mike

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            tipoc
                            Senior Member
                            • Jan 2008
                            • 630

                            A file won't work? You don't want to contour it to remove the annoying bit?

                            tipoc

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              mrboma
                              Senior Member
                              • Jul 2008
                              • 1307

                              Originally posted by tipoc
                              A file won't work? You don't want to contour it to remove the annoying bit?
                              tipoc


                              tipoc,

                              The above Wheeler kit lands tomorrow. I have zero experience re-finishing metal and don't know where to go after the file work but I think this will be the end result.

                              For today's range trip I have added some GT-5000 rubber grip tape to the grip in an attempt to lessen the bite. Gh0st, I now think this is what you meant with your suggestion, thanks.



                              I don't like the way it looks but I'm a functionality guy and could learn to live with it. We'll see how it holds up to range time.

                              Regards,
                              Mike

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1