Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Glock 19 project

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Nrai2020
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2013
    • 2343

    Glock 19 project

    I have a gen 4 glock 19 that is pretty much stock, besides night sites.

    I have a g17 that has an awesome stippling job. I really like the size of the g19 and was thinking about stippling it.

    My question is: would it be foolish to stipple the gen 4? Should I buy gen 3 for this? I dont think I would ever sell the gen 4 g19 bc I have the g17 and g26 and the 19 is pretty much the best of all worlds.

    I also thinking about having the slide milled to fit an RMR. Following the same logic, would this be a bad idea on a gen 4? I was thinking about possibly buying a slide that has already been milled and has sights already attached from LONE WOLF or SUAREZ? Any experience or opinion about this?

    Thanks guys.
  • #2
    shafferds
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2008
    • 1970

    Go with gen 3. If it fits your hand better.

    Comment

    • #3
      Nrai2020
      Senior Member
      • Apr 2013
      • 2343

      Originally posted by shafferds
      Go with gen 3. If it fits your hand better.
      I already have the gen 4 g19... was wondering if it was ill advised to do work on it?

      Also anyone have experience with the milled slides that come from lone wolf or Suarez?

      Comment

      • #4
        el_clingon
        Senior Member
        • May 2015
        • 1744

        mine is a Gen3m but if i had gen 4, i would have it worked on too.

        IMG_0459y.jpg
        Formally known as el Chingon...

        Comment

        • #5
          Deplorable
          Banned
          • Oct 2016
          • 75

          I think the texture on the Gen4's is much better than the gen3's. No need to stipple the Gen4 IMO.

          IMO, stippling is hideous and I personally wouldn't buy a Gen4 stippled frame. To each their own though.

          Comment

          • #6
            fmunk
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2011
            • 3896

            Sigh... Sights. Sights! Site = place or location, as in "construction site".

            IIRC, you don't buy a slide that is already milled from Lone Wolf. You buy a blank, or send them one, and select their milling options. By the time you add up all the options, you might as well be buying a ZEV slide. There are hardly any savings. I got the Suarez slide, complete with Glock 19 internals, to ride on my G23 frame. I am using a NDZ guide rod, 18 lb recoil spring (factory G19/23 rate), RMR06 and a Alpha Wolf barrel. I get FTE and FTF pretty much every other round with 115 gr plinking ammo, new and remanufactured. I suspect a lighter recoil spring is needed, but need to test the slide with the factory G23 guide rod and recoil spring to confirm.

            Note, you might want to look into getting a G19 MOS slide instead. Doing so would give you options to run other (more economical) optics; like the Shield RMS ($350) or offerings from Vortex. With slides milled for RMR, you're stuck paying high Trijicon prices. Avoid the low end and dual-illuminated Trijicon models, they are cheaper... but not worth it.
            Last edited by fmunk; 11-20-2016, 10:21 PM.


            FS: Atlas Bipod, Custom G23 RMR slide, ETS mags, Jagerwerks, Recover G26/27, CZ Scorpion bits, etc.

            Comment

            • #7
              BigPimping
              CGN Contributor
              • Feb 2010
              • 21487

              I would not stipple anything unless you plan on never ever selling it
              sigpic

              PIMP stands for Positive Intellectual Motivated Person

              When pimping begins, friendship ends.

              Don't let your history be a mystery

              Comment

              • #8
                perpetual otter
                Calguns Addict
                • Jul 2007
                • 5093

                Have you shot a pistol with an RMR? I thought it was gonna be cool. It wasn't. It was actually pretty lame. I ended up selling the slide and RMR and had a hard time finding a replacement factory slide. Try it first.
                I provide opinions...
                At a rapid rate.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Litespeeds
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2015
                  • 3260

                  Get a Glock MOS and you don't need to spend money on milling a slide.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    neomedic
                    Veteran Member
                    • Oct 2006
                    • 3276

                    I would NOT stipple or modify the gen 4 glock.

                    I know it's just a plain plastic frame gun for the rest of the country, but for California...it's near impossible to replace (unless you want to pay $1K).

                    Also since gen 4 glock has a much better texture than gen 3, I would leave it alone. If you really want to stipple a glock 19, buy a gen 3. They go for $499 regularly. Cheap insurance to protect the gen 4.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      L84CABO
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Mar 2009
                      • 8776

                      I wouldn't hesitate for a second to stipple it...err...if I was the type of guy who liked stippling. I personally don't really care for it. But if I was happy with the way the G17 came out, I'd have it done in a heartbeat. Even though this is an off roster pistol, it's not like it's a collectors piece. Shoot the snot out of it and mod it to your heart's content.

                      Now as to the RMR...My general advice to people in free states that are thinking about having a slide milled is to just buy one of the factory options like a CORE or MOS. Because by the time you get done paying $100 to ship it off to a smith, and the labor for the work, and the cost of adding suppressor sights (because you need backup irons if you're going with an optic), you are usually well over half the cost of a brand new pistol. And at that point I would rather just spend a little bit more and have a whole new pistol that can be used as a backup, or to loan to someone, or just to shoot when I didn't want to use the optic. But your problem is that you live in CA so you can't buy one of those because they're not on the roster. Sad face.

                      So yea, if you want to run a red dot, you're going to have to either have the slide milled or buy a whole new already milled slide. So what is the cost difference of sending a slide out (including shipping) vs buying a backup slide that is already milled? I would compare the costs and then see what I think. It might be nice to have two slides that you can just swap back and forth without having to take the optic off. It just depends on the cost. And again, don't forget to factor in suppressor sights in all of this.

                      As for whether or not you should red dot in general, I say, "heck yea, I love my 9mm CORE w/RMR!" But it does take some getting used to and training. It's actually fairly hard (initially) to pickup the dot on the draw. Like most folks (I suspect), I tend to align the iron sights and transition to the dot in the process. I still need more practice before I can just pickup the dot on the draw. And who knows, it may never come. But I'm really enjoying the red dot. It's awesome!

                      I also think red dots will become far more standard on pistols. Overall I think the sighting process is superior to irons. Just my opinion. YMMV. But if you are, at all, worried about not liking it, it shouldn't be too hard to find someone at the range that would let you run a mag or two through to see what you think.

                      And as for the red dot itself, I would absolutely go with the smallest MOA dot you can find. I like the precision of the smaller dot and you can always turn the power up if you're finding it hard to see. I'm running the Trijicon RMR 06 btw and love it. It's a solid sight...albeit not the cheapest option.
                      "Kestryll I wanna lick your doughnut."

                      Fighter Pilot

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Shrubmaster
                        Senior Member
                        • Apr 2010
                        • 1359

                        If you plan on conceal carrying it, the stippling will tear up clothes. Other down side is that the stippling feels awesome!... Until it wears down to be almost smooth.
                        WTB: Marlin 989 M2 stock (uncracked), and 989 M2 rifles
                        Thanks

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          bsg
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Jan 2009
                          • 25954

                          beyond finger groove removal, there are many stippling modifications and other mods/additions that can further enhance the potential of a Glock for many shooters. if i was to modify a G19 with stippling and/or other permanent mods, i'd most likely sell the Gen 4 and pick up a Gen 3 at cheaper cost. i'd then use the money remaining from the switch and put it toward the cost of stippling/modifications for the Gen 3 G19. if i was opposed to selling the Gen 4 G19, i'd pick up a Gen 3 for the desired modifications.

                          for my liking, i would purchase a Gen 2 G19 in it's original factory configuration and leave it at that. but then, i prefer a Glock that comes from the factory without a rail and without finger grooves, and that points to a Gen 2 G19; personal preference. the bottom line is what you want and what you prefer. go with what you know.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Title1guy
                            Senior Member
                            • Aug 2015
                            • 1381

                            Why stipple when you can just add talon, traction grips or a grip sleeve?

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              808@515
                              Senior Member
                              • May 2013
                              • 1047

                              If you're keeping it, have at it, and enjoy. If you think you might sell it leave it alone. If I were buying I would prefer a gun I could modify the way I want it to be. But then that's just me.

                              If you're uncertain, consider buying a used Gen3 for your project.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1