Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Springfield FLGR question

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Lead Waster
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Sep 2010
    • 16650

    Springfield FLGR question

    Can I just unscrew the full length guide rod and leave that piece out? The remaining parts look like they would just work like a regular GI recoil plug.

    Thanks!
    ==================

    sigpic


    Remember to dial 1 before 911.

    Forget about stopping power. If you can't hit it, you can't stop it.

    There. Are. Four. Lights!
  • #2
    xSlapshotx
    Senior Member
    • Aug 2013
    • 531

    I've also wondered this. One of these days I'm just going to order a GI set up.

    Comment

    • #3
      xSlapshotx
      Senior Member
      • Aug 2013
      • 531

      One more for 100 posts!

      Comment

      • #4
        meanrock
        Senior Member
        • May 2015
        • 847

        I contemplated this- SA customer service recommended against it. They suggested to me that the flat surface on the unscrewed guide rod could hang up, and that the full length was fitted by design to fit tightly with the recoil rod plug. Not sure how bogus that is, but generally gi plugs do have rounded ends.

        I just switched to one piece full length from Wilson for my SA loaded 9mm, and my RIA tac 9mm uses a Dawson precision one piece full length. Makes cleanup easier. Your mileage may vary

        Comment

        • #5
          Sheldon
          Senior Member
          • Oct 2005
          • 2149

          If there is enough length take it to a grinder and round off the end? Cheaper to buy the g.i. version probably and sell the other off. I went full length and went back again......
          Last edited by Sheldon; 11-13-2016, 8:01 AM.

          Comment

          • #6
            XDJYo
            Calguns Addict
            • Apr 2012
            • 7099

            No reason to NOT get a GI guide rod and plug. You can use the same recoil spring. All very inexpensive parts.

            Why risk it?
            Les Baer 1911: Premier II w/1.5" Guarantee, Blued, No FCS, Combat Rear, F/O Front, Checkered MSH & SA Professional Double Diamond Grips
            Springfield Armory XD-45 4" Service Model
            Springfield Armory XD9 4" Service Model (wifes).
            M&P 15 (Mine)

            Comment

            • #7
              supermario
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 4569

              What or is there any benefit to the FLGR? Not wanting to start debate but just curious what the simple answer is?

              Comment

              • #8
                cindynles
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2008
                • 2806

                Originally posted by Lead Waster
                Can I just unscrew the full length guide rod and leave that piece out? The remaining parts look like they would just work like a regular GI recoil plug.

                Thanks!
                You can, but the sharp edge may cause binding on the recoil spring. I replaced mine with standard GI guide rods (they are $7 or $8 from Brownells).
                "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." B.Franklin,1759

                Comment

                • #9
                  Sheldon
                  Senior Member
                  • Oct 2005
                  • 2149

                  Some say it smooths out the act of compressing the recoil spring for more consistent recoil of the slide. Others say its a gimmick to sell yet another 1911 part.

                  One of the advantages of NOT having the full length guide rod is when you get a round stuck in the chamber and you are able to push the slide back by bracing the recoil plug against something and pushing forward on the gun....great leverage versus trying to grip the slide manually. Comes in handy.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    XDJYo
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Apr 2012
                    • 7099

                    Originally posted by supermario
                    What or is there any benefit to the FLGR? Not wanting to start debate but just curious what the simple answer is?
                    For the typical shooter, a FLGR won't provide any real benefits. There are *maybe* a few. Some say that the extra weight helps with recoil control. I am not sure about that. I suppose it may. If you want to remove just the top end off the gun (for whatever reason), it's easy to do since you can keep the slide, barrel, spring and guide rod all in place (like a lot of striker fired pistols).

                    Other than that, no real benefits. IMHO.

                    Happy shooting and be safe.
                    Les Baer 1911: Premier II w/1.5" Guarantee, Blued, No FCS, Combat Rear, F/O Front, Checkered MSH & SA Professional Double Diamond Grips
                    Springfield Armory XD-45 4" Service Model
                    Springfield Armory XD9 4" Service Model (wifes).
                    M&P 15 (Mine)

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Grumpyoldretiredcop
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Sep 2008
                      • 6437

                      LeadWaster, I tried what you're suggesting on my first Springfield, a Loaded Stainless. When hand cycling it, I thought I could feel the recoil spring hang up on the square end of the FLGR bottom half. Installed a standard GI style guide and that feeling went away. That was enough for me to spend a couple of bucks to do the same on my latest SA purchase. YMMV of course.
                      I'm retired. That's right, retired. I don't want to hear about the cop who stopped you today or how you didn't think you should get a ticket. That just makes me grumpy!

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        xfile
                        Member
                        • Jan 2015
                        • 272

                        Just ditched the flgr in my trp operator for the 10 8 plug and Wilson flat wire setup. You don't need anything special, Low cost gi set up from any one is winning

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        UA-8071174-1