Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Self defense for mom

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    PistolKidd
    Member
    • Jan 2006
    • 198

    +1 on the training.

    If she's going to learn how to shoot, i think it's in everyone's interest that she knows the basics... I think a class would be perfect for that.

    As someone mentioned, clearing jams and doing drills isnt most likely something you expect dear 'mum' to do while shooting. If i had to give my mom a gun to use for self defense, I would give her something like a revolver. "Aim and pull the trigger".. simple as that.. I seriously doubt my mom is going to be the mall ninja type and know the in's and outs of grip/stance/sight picture/follow up.. a revolver in .38 (or .357) is capable enough and in a heavy enough frame, there's not much kick.. that and i can keep it loaded with little fear of her having any problems with it..

    But i would definitley get her the training.. even if it only helps a little, I'd like to give her every advantage that she could possibly use..

    I dunno, take her to the range, let her work her way up in caliber size..see what she's comfortable with.. maybe it wont be such a hard decision once she becomes familiar with shooting..

    Comment

    • #32
      CWM4A1
      Senior Member
      • Feb 2006
      • 1135

      For the model recommendation, I would say the S&W Model 686 if she does not mind the weight; model 60 with 3" barrel if she wants a smaller gun. The draw back is model 60 only hold 5 shots. Both gun is capable of shooting 357, but will work just fine with .38. Both gun are all stainless steel, so it's heavy enough to minimize the effect on recoil, and both offer full grip.

      2" snob nose revolver is not recommended as they kick too much even with just .38. Stay far away from the titanium models.

      And another +1 on taking classes.
      NRA certified RSO, Pistol/Rifle/Personal Protection Inside The Home instructor, Certified SIG/Glock pistol armorer.

      Comment

      • #33
        asintado
        Member
        • Feb 2006
        • 450

        I keep one of my handguns at my parent's house and my dad can use it no problem, but when I was showing my mom how to you it she said, "You lost me at this is a 1911." I decided to get her a Taurus model 85 revolver. She's familiar with a Charter Arms Undercover so I figured teaching her how to use the Taurus wouldn't be such a strech. I have it loaded with 110 grain low recoil Federal Hydrashocks and I installed a hogue grip on it because the stock grip was irritatingly small. Although I know she can manage a semi-auto with proper training I still wanted something simple for her to use. I also didn't want to have her worrying about changing the magazine to keep the springs in good condition. At least with a revolver she can load it up, put it away, and know its good to go.

        Comment

        • #34
          Mudvayne540ld
          Member
          • Jun 2006
          • 339

          I would go with a Glock. No need to remember a saftey. The 26, 27, and 30 are both small, plus you can get it in the 9mm, .40 or .45
          Glock 27 = .40
          Glock 26 = 9mm
          Glock 30 = .45

          Comment

          • #35
            Blue
            Calguns Addict
            • Oct 2005
            • 8072

            I'm voting XD9
            Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
            Let my aim be true and my hand faster
            than those who would seek to destroy me.
            Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
            Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
            And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home, let me die in an empty pile of brass.
            sigpic
            NRA Member

            Comment

            • #36
              M. Sage
              Moderator Emeritus
              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
              • Jul 2006
              • 19759

              +1 to Kestrel's Taurus 66. That's my Mom's revolver (though hers is a B4 instead of S4.) She's had it for probably close to 20 years, shot quite a few rounds through it (some for police quals) and it's never had a single problem.
              Originally posted by Deadbolt
              "We're here to take your land for your safety"

              "My Safety?" *click* "There, that was my safety"
              sigpicNRA Member

              Comment

              Working...
              UA-8071174-1