Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

GLASER SAFETY SlUGS

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • qswdef
    Member
    • Mar 2008
    • 426

    GLASER SAFETY SlUGS

    This is a RECOIL question only. 4-5 inch barrel. Don't want to hear why you hate 'em or why you'd only use hp's. My circumstances suggest this would be a good approach to HD. I'd like to hear from someone who uses or has used tem in regards to recoil vs other corresponding calibers. For example, comparing a good example of a high performance 9mm with the 9mm glaser. blue or silvr.
    Thanks
  • #2
    laurelpark
    Senior Member
    • Aug 2011
    • 1013

    I've used them, and they shoot about the same as any 115gr 9mm. Not totally sure if they're the best thing in the world or not, but they do have some advantages over regular hollow points in some situations. For example, in situations where you don't want a lot of over penetration or ricochet, they're a good solution. I believe our Air Marshals still use them in passenger jets for that very reason. Really expensive, though - for HD, I'm happy with other high end ammo like Golden Saber or similar.

    Comment

    • #3
      Carcassonne
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2012
      • 4897

      I have tried them in 357mag, 9mm, 380ACP, 45ACP, and 308Win. They were all shot out of a full size gun (1911, Glock 17, 6" S&W 686, Walther PP, and an HK91 for the 308.

      Recoil was close enough to standard ball to not notice a difference. Accuracy was about the same as any ball ammo.

      Glaser Safety Slugs are expensive. I only shot a few to get a basic idea of where they would hit relative to where the sights were aimed.


      .
      Be sure to ask your doctor if depression, rectal bleeding, and suicide are right for you.

      In the United States a person's expertise on a subject is inversely proportional to their knowledge of the subject: The less they know about something, the more they become an expert on it.

      I am being held hostage in a giant insane asylum called Earth.

      Comment

      • #4
        Che762x39
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2011
        • 4538

        Originally posted by qswdef
        This is a RECOIL question only. 4-5 inch barrel ...
        I had them for a 44 Magnum and 38 Special. The 44 was a 4" and the 38s were a 2" and 4". The 44 Mag felt like a 44 Special. The 38 was similar to standard loadings.

        The only Glaser Safety Slug shooting I personally know of was with a 380 ACP and it was a one shot kill of a robber by a liquor store owner.

        Comment

        • #5
          NIB
          Senior Member
          • Oct 2005
          • 549

          Originally posted by HopetonBrown
          No they don't. They carry .357 JHP ammo. Federal Flight Deck Officers carry .40 S&W JHP. The fact that these people don't use Glaser could be called a clue.
          Air Marshalls used them back in the 70s and early 80s. I've seen pictures of what a 9mm Glaser did to one bad guy. It was pretty nasty but due to the fact that they cost so much I would stick to JHP. From what I heard they stopped using them because it was to expensive to train with for one.

          Comment

          • #6
            dozer wright
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2012
            • 2764

            Originally posted by HopetonBrown
            It doesn't matter what the bullet damage looks like to the exterior of the body, it's what the bullet does on the interior of the body. 'Cause, you know, that's where the vital organs and stuff are. And little pellets don't do so good with going deep into the body.



            Or it could be because bullet design has improved over the intervening 40 years.

            Federal HST 45 Auto is $1.25 per round from MidwayUSA. Glaser 45 Auto is $1.60 per round. You can imagine that the 35 cent difference per round shrinks when you buy 1.6 billion rounds, versus a box of 20.
            It's the Government if one person thought that 35 cents a round times 1.6 Billion .Or said person got a kick back . It would be worth it . I have shot some Glaser saftey in 40 Sw seemed to work well against a pumpkin .
            Last edited by dozer wright; 10-23-2016, 8:53 AM.

            Comment

            • #7
              stormvet
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Mar 2010
              • 12681

              Sorry can't answer your question, I've only shot them out of a H&K 94 of course almost zero recoil out of that weapon system.

              After a couple on point answers, now the rest of the thread is gonna be about the specific things you don't care about. Buy a couple boxes and find out, you know the old saying. If you want something done right...
              Last edited by stormvet; 10-23-2016, 9:47 AM.
              Im a warmonger baby, I got blood in my eyes and I'm looking at you.

              Comment

              • #8
                DaveInOroValley
                CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                CGN Contributor
                • Jan 2010
                • 8968

                I use them for HD in my .357. If people think they don't damage tissue they may want to do a bit of research to look at the results themselves.

                Last edited by DaveInOroValley; 10-23-2016, 9:54 AM.
                NRA Life Member

                Vet since 1978

                "Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

                Comment

                • #9
                  dozer wright
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2012
                  • 2764

                  Just go totally the other direction and get Underwood extreme penetrator .

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Carcassonne
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2012
                    • 4897

                    Originally posted by HopetonBrown
                    ... It completely fragments on impact and only penetrates 4.7" (12 cm). When asked to comment on the potential survival time with a shot to the mid-abdomen by the Glaser, the surgeon heading the U. S. Army Wound Ballistic Laboratory commented that the patient would, "survive about three days and the cause of death would be peritonitis.". Not exactly the rapid physiological incapacitation necessary for law enforcement lethal force confrontations.[/I]

                    ...

                    And 4.7" in the head won't stop them. Their cerebral cortex is 5" deep.


                    .
                    Be sure to ask your doctor if depression, rectal bleeding, and suicide are right for you.

                    In the United States a person's expertise on a subject is inversely proportional to their knowledge of the subject: The less they know about something, the more they become an expert on it.

                    I am being held hostage in a giant insane asylum called Earth.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Beelzy
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Apr 2008
                      • 9225

                      They blow up too quick, and may not penetrate heavy clothing enough to stop a bad guy.
                      "I kill things for a living, don't make yourself one of them"

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      UA-8071174-1