Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Glock 20 to 21 conversion for CCW

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • rlewpolar
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2014
    • 1447

    Glock 20 to 21 conversion for CCW

    I am in the process of picking up a Glock 20SF and also just bought a complete Glock 21 upper to slap onto the Glock 20 frame to shoot 45ACP.

    Assuming I put the Glock 20 on my carry permit, does anyone see a problem with also carrying it with the 21 upper from time to time?

    The permit lists the serial number for the frame but it also lists the caliber.

    Would I run into a problem if I had contact with law enforcement that checked the weapon against my permit and noticed that the serial number listed on the permit and caliber of the pistol don't match? TIA


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • #2
    003
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2010
    • 3436

    Any chance you can list it as multi caliber? .45/10MM

    Comment

    • #3
      rlewpolar
      Senior Member
      • Mar 2014
      • 1447

      Originally posted by 003
      Any chance you can list it as multi caliber? .45/10MM


      I don't know but that's a good idea. I'll check with my IA, thanks.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

      Comment

      • #4
        CandG
        Spent $299 for this text!
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • Apr 2014
        • 16970

        Depends on the county. My county definitely doesn't allow that. Ask your IA.
        Settle down, folks. The new "ghost gun" regulations probably don't do what you think they do.


        Comment

        • #5
          k1dude
          I need a LIFE!!
          • May 2009
          • 15977

          I guess it probably depends on your IA.

          In my area, you can't modify the factory weapon in any way (other than sights). So slide swapping would be a no-no. The caliber also has to be consistent with the DROS record.

          That being said, I can't imagine the penalty would be anything worse than a stern "don't do that" talking to.
          "Show me a young conservative and I'll show you a man without a heart. Show me an old liberal and I'll show you a man without a brain." - Sir Winston Churchill

          "I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Senator Barry Goldwater

          Comment

          • #6
            Cool Custard
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2013
            • 3292

            My IA says you can have multi caliber pistols as long as you get each caliber added to the permit. All depends on IA.
            Stay Low, Go Fast, Take Chances

            Comment

            • #7
              HKMadness
              Calguns Addict
              • Jan 2011
              • 5262

              My main concern would be if it were reliable enough for carry that way.
              Show your friends your 1911's and your enemies your glocks!

              Say no to posers & wannabes.

              Comment

              • #8
                teg33
                Veteran Member
                • May 2013
                • 3441

                Originally posted by HKMadness
                My main concern would be if it were reliable enough for carry that way.
                For my carry gun, I don't modified anything other than sight. Reliability is major factor, I rather stick with proven factory setup

                Comment

                • #9
                  Bill Steele
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Sep 2010
                  • 5028

                  More power to you if you can stand carrying that big old gun.

                  I find myself buying ever smaller guns these days. Yesterday I happened to be in a shop when my eye started to wander over to the derringer shelf...

                  I think I have halted my decline with the Kahr P380, I didn't even ask to handle one of those derringers.

                  On the reliability of a G21 slide on a G20 frame and vice versa, it is the same as a factory gun at that point. Good to explain that to the IA.
                  When asked what qualities he most valued in his generals, Napoleon said, "give me lucky ones."

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Quiet
                    retired Goon
                    • Mar 2007
                    • 30242

                    Originally posted by rlewpolar
                    The permit lists the serial number for the frame but it also lists the caliber.

                    Would I run into a problem if I had contact with law enforcement that checked the weapon against my permit and noticed that the serial number listed on the permit and caliber of the pistol don't match?
                    Yes.
                    Per CA laws, the handgun you are carrying must exactly match what is listed on your CA LTC permit. If it does not match, then it is treated as an illegal conceal carry.

                    It is up to your issuing agency on if they will allow multiple calibers to be listed on a specific handgun.
                    sigpic

                    "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Carcassonne
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2012
                      • 4897

                      I remember some people having problems with using thier single shot exemption guns for CCW. Most of the SSE guns were DROSed as 25 caliber, not 9mm, 380, 40, or 45.


                      .
                      Be sure to ask your doctor if depression, rectal bleeding, and suicide are right for you.

                      In the United States a person's expertise on a subject is inversely proportional to their knowledge of the subject: The less they know about something, the more they become an expert on it.

                      I am being held hostage in a giant insane asylum called Earth.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        ElDub1950
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Aug 2012
                        • 5688

                        Based on all the similar questions and first hand answers, it just depends on your IA. Some allow mods some don't. Some allow multi-caliber, some don't. But I think it's correct that the caliber has to match what's on your LTC.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Dvrjon
                          CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                          • Nov 2012
                          • 11370

                          PC 26175:
                          (i) Any license issued upon the application shall set forththe name of the manufacturer, the serial number, and the caliber. The license issued to the licensee may be laminated.
                          If what you're carrying doesn't match the license info, you have a problem.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Mopar Guy
                            Senior Member
                            • Aug 2014
                            • 615

                            Anything that adds confusion to a CCW license is not a good thing. I would not bother.

                            I actually thought of the G30 and G36 slide switch to make a G30s. I opted just to buy a G30s. Frankenstein Glocks may be ok for home or the range, not the permit. Extremely problematic. The obvious, the frame is completely different that slide. I am sure a cop who looks at your permit and checks your gun will think something is wrong, I mean suspiciously wrong.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              k1dude
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              • May 2009
                              • 15977

                              Originally posted by Bill Steele
                              More power to you if you can stand carrying that big old gun.

                              I find myself buying ever smaller guns these days. Yesterday I happened to be in a shop when my eye started to wander over to the derringer shelf...

                              I think I have halted my decline with the Kahr P380, I didn't even ask to handle one of those derringers.

                              On the reliability of a G21 slide on a G20 frame and vice versa, it is the same as a factory gun at that point. Good to explain that to the IA.
                              Many carry a full size big bore when in the backcountry. It's usually not for around town. A Glock 20SF is a commonly carried CCW weapon when in bear, grower, and cougar country.
                              "Show me a young conservative and I'll show you a man without a heart. Show me an old liberal and I'll show you a man without a brain." - Sir Winston Churchill

                              "I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Senator Barry Goldwater

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1