Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

First Handgun: Advice Please!

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    chunger
    Member
    • Mar 2004
    • 465

    I've ended up buying Springfield 3x. 9mm 1911, .45 Milspec 1911, and XD9 subcompact. Since starting shooting 3 years ago, it became appearant to me that some companies care about California customers and some do not. Springfield has consistantly updated all or the vaste majority of their guns on the California approved list and have done so on their 1911's without adding series 80 or other firing pin safeties so they have stayed true to the original design.

    In the last year, lots of guns have been coming on the list because if companies do not get in now, they never will. Springfield's done it all along, and I remember that when I go to purchase a gun.

    my $.02

    Comment

    • #17
      phobos512
      Member
      • Oct 2005
      • 411

      My first handgun was a Walther P99 DAO (P990) in 9mm. Was a good decision for me @ the time. Still is.
      "And when you sing the national anthem, for God's sake, sing it in English. Don't fall prey to the Jimmy Smits-o-crock...oh my f*ck..." - Stephen Colbert

      Comment

      • #18
        rorschach
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2006
        • 4405

        Originally posted by ohsmily
        Every gun owner who owns more than 3 guns should have at least 1 1911 in their collection.
        +1

        Every gun owner should have 1 1911 for every 3 other guns.
        L.A. County
        Mailed to LASD Hall of Justice: 6/27/2022 received:6/28
        Check cashed: 8/22/2022
        Livescan: 4/22/2023 DOJ 4/22 FBI 4/23 Firearms 4/26
        Call for interview: 5/24/2023 Interview: 5/31/2023
        PTT: 8/21/23 Training submitted 8/27/23
        Call for pickup 10/12/23 Pickup: 11/8/23

        Comment

        • #19
          leelaw
          Junior Member
          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
          • Oct 2005
          • 10445

          Where are you located? If you're in my area I could meet you at the range and you can try out my small collection of Sigs, and a 1911, and help you decide what you want.

          Comment

          • #20
            ghideon
            Member
            • Apr 2006
            • 403

            Beretta 92FS in stainless was my first pistol, a b-day gift on my 21st from my father. I also have a 92G Elite II. I have never had a problem with either that wasn't operator error. You may not be able to run over them with a truck and expect them to work (like a Glock), but I don't do that to my babies .

            Also, 9mm practice ammo can be had fairly cheap, but if you do go for a 9mm for home defense, don't skimp on the defensive ammo. While 9mm doesn't have the stopping power of .40SW or .45ACP, with good ammo you can get close enough that (hopefully) it shouldn't matter.

            Comment

            • #21
              Fjold
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Oct 2005
              • 23062

              For a first handgun I would recommend a 22 rimfire. Either a Ruger MkII or a double action revolver.
              Frank

              One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375




              Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF

              Comment

              • #22
                Maddog5150
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Feb 2006
                • 10526

                I will tell you what I tell all my customers, "it doesnt matter what I like, it doesnt matter what the guy next to you likes, its all going to be what feels great in your hand. If you were to buy the three thousand dollar wilson combat you will make me very happy but if it just doesnt fit YOUR hand right then your not going to shoot to the best of your ability. So ask away and I will pull everything out to see what you think it most comfortable."
                I love my HK45 and I love my Springfield 1911. Hell, they are the reason I broke up with my last two girlfriends. I usually recomend a glock for peoples first hand guns but some people hate the egronomics. Go to a range with your pops and rent some guns and see which one feels best.
                Buy my EO Tech XPS3-0!!!

                For those nutjobs who like to use the word "gouge"
                Note: I did not write the above article.

                Any carpenters in Socal want a side project?

                sigpic

                Comment

                • #23
                  Bishop
                  Senior Member
                  • Jun 2006
                  • 917

                  If you have any problems with the Glock ergonomics (or lack thereof) be sure you check out the XD series
                  Originally posted by Jagger
                  The words "right" and "people" are ambiguous, dude. Furthermore, the ambiguity was probably intentional.
                  This is really all the antis have? I suppose they expected the second amendment to list full names and social security numbers!

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    grammaton76
                    Administrator
                    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                    • Dec 2005
                    • 9511

                    Originally posted by Maddog5150
                    I love my HK45 and I love my Springfield 1911. Hell, they are the reason I broke up with my last two girlfriends.
                    This promises to be an interesting story...
                    Primary author of gunwiki.net - 'like' it on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Gunwiki/242578512591 to see whenever new content gets added!

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      RT13
                      Senior Member
                      • May 2006
                      • 1407

                      I highly recommend a Sig. It depends what your budget is and features you are interested in. Do you want a polymer pistol or steel? For polymer, I highly recommend the HK P2000, XD series, S&W MP series, then Glock. Steel, Sig is the best out of the box everything from reliability to accuracy. They look nice and fells good to hold and shoot as well. Are you looking for compact or fullsize? The P7M8 if you like it is a great gun for collectibility reason. I started with Glock and Berettas as my first pistols. But Sig and HK hooked me, esp Sig. Now I have 6 Sigs and 2 HK's. But I recommend you shoot whatever gun you go for first at a range to see how comofrtable it is afor you. Everyone can recommend you anything and everything, but it all and only comes down to you.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        Richie Rich
                        Senior Member
                        • Apr 2006
                        • 607

                        Echoing what many others have said, try out everything you might think you would want before you spend your money.. This is the advice that I got when I asked the staff at the local range the same question.

                        I spent over a year looking at, pricing and firing handguns until I settled on what I liked the most. I tried out just about every offering from Glock, Springfield, Sig, S&W and Beretta.

                        My Sig 229R .40 just arrived today, it was what suited me the best and the one I kept coming back to and comparing others to. Not cheap, but since I will never again sell any of my guns, it is a life long purchase. I will probably open up my safe 50 years from now and give it to one of my grandchildren.

                        Now I am stricken with 1911 lust, I probably have a Kimber in my future.

                        Good luck with whatever you purchase....
                        sigpic
                        "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Ben Franklin

                        Congrats Matt

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          Maddog5150
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Feb 2006
                          • 10526

                          Originally posted by grammaton76
                          This promises to be an interesting story...
                          Just got tired of the whining and nagging. "why do you have guns? why cant you keep them in the safe? why does it have to be in the nightstand?" or my all time favorate "you have to make a choice, your guns or me."
                          Well Im single right now so that should tell you that I made the right choice
                          Buy my EO Tech XPS3-0!!!

                          For those nutjobs who like to use the word "gouge"
                          Note: I did not write the above article.

                          Any carpenters in Socal want a side project?

                          sigpic

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            6172crew
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                            • Oct 2005
                            • 6240

                            Indeed check that the firearms fit your hand. One of the reasons I couldnt get behind the USP line.
                            sigpic
                            HMM-161 Westpac 1994

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              bu-bye
                              Veteran Member
                              • Oct 2005
                              • 2835

                              Originally posted by Maddog5150
                              Just got tired of the whining and nagging. "why do you have guns? why cant you keep them in the safe? why does it have to be in the nightstand?" or my all time favorate "you have to make a choice, your guns or me."
                              Well Im single right now so that should tell you that I made the right choice
                              Let me buy you a beer my friend

                              "Calling an illegal alien a "undocumented worker" is like calling the drug dealer hanging around outside your kid's school an "unlicensed pharmacist."

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                1911_Mitch
                                Senior Member
                                • Dec 2005
                                • 678

                                -----
                                Last edited by 1911_Mitch; 08-18-2018, 5:04 PM.
                                CA born (5th gen), CA educated, Eagle Scout, NRA Member, Father, Small Business owner, Cancer survivor, Patriot

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1