Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Will handguns rust if left in foam case?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • fifteen
    Member
    • Jan 2016
    • 411

    Will handguns rust if left in foam case?

    I was not aware of this issue until I read some older threads. Is this a huge concern? I keep my pistols in a Plano case with foam
  • #2
    Ron-Solo
    In Memoriam
    • Jan 2009
    • 8581

    The foam tends to help retain moisture.
    LASD Retired
    1978-2011

    NRA Life Member
    CRPA Life Member
    NRA Rifle Instructor
    NRA Shotgun Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    DOJ Certified Instructor

    Comment

    • #3
      speedchair
      Junior Member
      • Feb 2016
      • 21

      Funny you ask, I recently took my out of the case after 15 years, no issue. It was also located in a closet away from any moisture too. Gun still looks new.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

      Comment

      • #4
        glock_this
        Calguns Addict
        • Dec 2005
        • 8225

        Never had the issue.

        But I also put dessicate packs under the foam out of habit.
        10 +1 in the chamber

        Comment

        • #5
          AreWeFree
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2013
          • 4558

          Maybe, why risk it?

          Comment

          • #6
            glock_this
            Calguns Addict
            • Dec 2005
            • 8225

            Because you're out if room in the safe? Because the weapon is to big for the safe? Because... you want to?
            10 +1 in the chamber

            Comment

            • #7
              AreWeFree
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2013
              • 4558

              OK, well I have two treasured childhood guns left in a cheap walmart case and after years of storage they have rusted.

              So why ask questions, just do what you want.

              Comment

              • #8
                glock_this
                Calguns Addict
                • Dec 2005
                • 8225

                Could also put it in a silicon sock in the case.
                10 +1 in the chamber

                Comment

                • #9
                  AreWeFree
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2013
                  • 4558

                  Could just leave them in open air, or a gun sock... not like your cheap foam case is secure.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    glock_this
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Dec 2005
                    • 8225

                    A 4 lock pelican, cable locked to something stout, is far better & more secure than "open air".
                    10 +1 in the chamber

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      stormvet
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Mar 2010
                      • 12681

                      It really is dependent on the climate you live in. I leave all my handguns in their origanel foam boxes, stored in my safes. I have many different makes and models, some with an Internet rep for barrel rusting. Fifty to sixty handguns all in their foam boxes, I've never had any rust issues and it's been that way for a couple decades.
                      Im a warmonger baby, I got blood in my eyes and I'm looking at you.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        AreWeFree
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2013
                        • 4558

                        Originally posted by glock_this
                        A 4 lock pelican, cable locked to something stout, is far better & more secure than "open air".
                        What stout object do you recommend cable locking your plastic case to?

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          glock_this
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Dec 2005
                          • 8225

                          Really? You really need me to break this down for you minutia by minutia to convince you a "plastic" (though you must not own any pelican cases to try to play it's 'plastic' quality down) case with 4 locks cable locked to say a work bench bolted to your floor is more secure than your "open air" statement? Ok.
                          10 +1 in the chamber

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            stormvet
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Mar 2010
                            • 12681

                            Originally posted by AreWeFree
                            What stout object do you recommend cable locking your plastic case to?
                            You could cut two holes towards the bottom of your safe near a corner and secure the cable through the safe. That's pretty stout.
                            Im a warmonger baby, I got blood in my eyes and I'm looking at you.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              AreWeFree
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jan 2013
                              • 4558

                              Originally posted by glock_this
                              Really? You really need me to break this down for you minutia by minutia to convince you a "plastic" (though you must not own any pelican cases to try to play it's 'plastic' quality down) case with 4 locks cable locked to say a work bench bolted to your floor is more secure than your "open air" statement? Ok.
                              So you can't recommend a good common place to cable lock a plastic case?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1