If you happen to want to purchase a PPQ or VP9 still, you can probably buy one from a Calgun'r. Just go to the "marketplace" section of the forum under "private firearms sales -handguns." Since you can only purchase them through a private sale, new or used. Expect to pay a whooole lotta money for an off roster like those. Or any off roster as they are in high demand.
Unconfigured Ad Widget
Collapse
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Newbie Roster Question?
Collapse
X
-

sigpic Winning isn't everything... It's the only thing! - Vince Lombardi -
I've noticed the premium pricing! Yikes!!If you happen to want to purchase a PPQ or VP9 still, you can probably buy one from a Calgun'r. Just go to the "marketplace" section of the forum under "private firearms sales -handguns." Since you can only purchase them through a private sale, new or used. Expect to pay a whooole lotta money for an off roster like those. Or any off roster as they are in high demand.
Comment
-
Yeah, I go to LAX Range myself and it is a better indoor range than LA Gun Club for when you already own a pistol; also, they have their own store out back with well priced ammunition to boot (not to mention their regular parking lot sale). However, LAX Range's selection is nowhere close to the volume and variety at LA Gun Club.I live in Ladera Heights, which is sandwiched between Westchester and Culver City. The closest range to me would be the LAX Range and I'm not sure of the variety of guns they would have for rental. I would love some good local store, classes suggestions. I did briefly stop by Turners in Torrance where I work to window shop...
Another good place to rent is Oak Tree Gun Club. Since you're in Ladera Heights you just hop on the 405 and drive north for 30 minutes. They have a good selection plus they also sell new firearms, so you could potentially one stop shop by going in, testing stuff, then buying from them directly. Oddly enough they tend to carry certain handguns that are rare in other stores (they regularly have the Springfield EMP there, for example).
Definitely go and try as many as you can. You may discover that you point naturally with some over others, or the ergonomics are better for one versus another. Or a trigger feels better on this versus that. It's also likely that a single pistol will not tick all the boxes and you'll have to weigh the factors and end up compromising. That's why going to the range and trying stuff out is important. You just never know, you may fall in love with a pistol you never even considered from reading stuff on the internet.
The only range I've been to up north that is open to the public is Jackson Arms in South SF. I wasn't impressed with the rental selection so I can't help you there.Last edited by paultakeda; 05-03-2016, 4:18 PM.Comment
-
There is no reason for you to pay huge premium for those off roster pieces. It's really not worth it, especially when you are just starting out.
Try G19, SP2022 and XD9 as you have decided. Also try CZ 75 B for a bit different full steel flavor.
I only started 2 months ago and ended up with CZ 75 B and Glock 19 (for now, hehe)
Have fun!!!Comment
-
Thank you! That's great local information.Yeah, I go to LAX Range myself and it is a better indoor range than LA Gun Club for when you already own a pistol; also, they have their own store out back with well priced ammunition to boot (not to mention their regular parking lot sale). However, LAX Range's selection is nowhere close to the volume and variety at LA Gun Club.
Another good place to rent is Oak Tree Gun Club. Since you're in Ladera Heights you just hop on the 405 and drive north for 30 minutes. They have a good selection plus they also sell new firearms, so you could potentially one stop shop by going in, testing stuff, then buying from them directly. Oddly enough they tend to carry certain handguns that are rare in other stores (they regularly have the Springfield EMP there, for example).
Definitely go and try as many as you can. You may discover that you point naturally with some over others, or the ergonomics are better for one versus another. Or a trigger feels better on this versus that. It's also likely that a single pistol will not tick all the boxes and you'll have to weigh the factors and end up compromising. That's why going to the range and trying stuff out is important. You just never know, you may fall in love with a pistol you never even considered from reading stuff on the internet.
The only range I've been to up north that is open to the public is Jackson Arms in South SF. I wasn't impressed with the rental selection so I can't help you there.
Comment
-
You're the person I'm trying not to become...looking for one gun then buy all three!There is no reason for you to pay huge premium for those off roster pieces. It's really not worth it, especially when you are just starting out.
Try G19, SP2022 and XD9 as you have decided. Also try CZ 75 B for a bit different full steel flavor.
I only started 2 months ago and ended up with CZ 75 B and Glock 19 (for now, hehe)
Have fun!!!
Comment
-
OP you need to go down to Martin B. Retting's on Washington Blvd in Culver City. Really old gun shop, nice place to stroll around. Well you really can't stroll around aisles are pretty tight, but you get my drift.
Up North Tracy Rifle & Pistol on 11th Street, has an awesome range, with a wide selection of rentals.sigpic
NRA Benefactor Member
CRPA Life Member
2AF Defender
USPSA Life Member
GOC Member
NASAR MemberComment
-
Yes, Retting is the place when you're ready to buy, provided it's not on sale at Turner's (Turner's can take you over an hour to buy even when you already know what you want, whereas you can be in and out of Retting in 20 minutes).
It's probably the best local shop to buy new and used long guns (that's where I found my 22" barrel Marlin Model 60). Their pistol section is 1911 heavy these days, though. It's a hoot to go there and look at old stuff, like the WWII era 1911s and Lugers. It's just about the only local place with black power firearms as well.
Once you know what you want, I'd check for stock at Retting and if out of stock how long it'd take to get. Then I'd check Oak Tree, then a small boutique reservation only shop called Red Rifle down in Carson, then last resort to Turner's (or go there first if their weekly ads show the gun on sale).Comment
-
Great stuff! I really needed the now you know what you want...here's where to go to get it!Yes, Retting is the place when you're ready to buy, provided it's not on sale at Turner's (Turner's can take you over an hour to buy even when you already know what you want, whereas you can be in and out of Retting in 20 minutes).
It's probably the best local shop to buy new and used long guns (that's where I found my 22" barrel Marlin Model 60). Their pistol section is 1911 heavy these days, though. It's a hoot to go there and look at old stuff, like the WWII era 1911s and Lugers. It's just about the only local place with black power firearms as well.
Once you know what you want, I'd check for stock at Retting and if out of stock how long it'd take to get. Then I'd check Oak Tree, then a small boutique reservation only shop called Red Rifle down in Carson, then last resort to Turner's (or go there first if their weekly ads show the gun on sale).
Do you have any online discount vendors that will ship to an approved gun receiving store that you recommend?Comment
-
I used to use Bud's Gun Shop but they seem to be abandoning California (the in stock and even out of stock list of inventory has shrunk drastically this past year). Still, if they have something on there they are convenient because they have a list of pre-approved CA FFL dealers that they ship to immediately on order (or after your check clears); no need to call the receiving dealer and get approval to use them, nor have them have to send their credentials to the out-of-state store, etc. (this stuff is a bit of a hassle).
I've ordered from Kentucky Gun Co. and have not had issues with items being out of stock or late delivery (others, however, have had such an experience).
As to receiving stores: Retting will charge you an arm and a leg to have something shipped to them, so best not to (they also really don't like it). I use Red Rifle. They first ask that you order from them first but if they can't get the item or price match then they'll do the transfer for you for the going rate (I believe $65). They also give you two free passes to Angeles Range ($20 value each) so that takes the sting of a transfer off a little.Comment
-
I used to use Bud's Gun Shop but they seem to be abandoning California (the in stock and even out of stock list of inventory has shrunk drastically this past year). Still, if they have something on there they are convenient because they have a list of pre-approved CA FFL dealers that they ship to immediately on order (or after your check clears); no need to call the receiving dealer and get approval to use them, nor have them have to send their credentials to the out-of-state store, etc. (this stuff is a bit of a hassle).
I've ordered from Kentucky Gun Co. and have not had issues with items being out of stock or late delivery (others, however, have had such an experience).
As to receiving stores: Retting will charge you an arm and a leg to have something shipped to them, so best not to (they also really don't like it). I use Red Rifle. They first ask that you order from them first but if they can't get the item or price match then they'll do the transfer for you for the going rate (I believe $65). They also give you two free passes to Angeles Range ($20 value each) so that takes the sting of a transfer off a little.
Thank your the information and heads up that these stores really don't want to receive orders!Comment
-
Most stores don't want to receive orders; they want you to buy from them. Gun ranges are the easiest to deal with for out-of-state transfers but you'll have to drive a bit to get to one. I've used a range called SoCal Sharpshooter down in Torrance twice. It's just a pain to have to go down there twice (first to DROS then second to pick up ten days later).
You almost always can get a better deal on a new gun by buying from the the local gun shop. Online prices look good until you tack on the transfer fee. I only went online when the local stores simply didn't have it in stock. If they could guarantee a delivery date and I was okay with the wait, then great. But if they could only back order it and have no known ETA, then I hopped online. Plus, support your local gun store!Last edited by paultakeda; 05-04-2016, 3:46 PM.Comment
-
Not necessarily, there are a couple places around where I live that charge $20-25 per transfer. I've saved hundreds shopping online.You almost always can get a better deal on a new gun by buying from the the local gun shop. Online prices look good until you tack on the transfer fee. I only went online when the local stores simply didn't have it in stock. If they could guarantee a delivery date and I was okay with the wait, then great. But if they could only back order it and have no known ETA, then I hopped online. Plus, support your local gun store!Comment
Calguns.net Statistics
Collapse
Topics: 1,868,767
Posts: 25,151,477
Members: 358,862
Active Members: 5,815
Welcome to our newest member, 1776 Arms.
What's Going On
Collapse
There are currently 19824 users online. 111 members and 19713 guests.
Most users ever online was 239,041 at 10:39 PM on 02-14-2026.

Comment