Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Some awesome finishing options!

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • cundiff5535
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2011
    • 806

    Some awesome finishing options!

    I decided to show off some examples of different finishes that are on a few of my pistols. I am attaching a bunch of pics of some of my favorite 1911's and Revos... Sorry in advance if this should be in the gun smithing section...


    The pics are of the following different finishes!:


    -Bunker Make Over: Mirror polish DLC (in light and no light)
    -Bunker 007: Oil Grained Classic Blue
    -Wilson Combat CQB9: Two Tone Cerakote/AT (Black over Grey)
    -NH Talon: Black Nitride
    -Colt Python: Colt Royal Blue
    -Infamous "Smython"- APW Brushed Hard Chrome


    I have had several members here ask if I could post pictures of the DLC pistol I have in lighting angles and also to show comparisons between DLC and Bluing. To be fair, the bluing on my pistols is not standard style bluing so, I am not sure if we are comparing apples to apples. The DLC is also really high polish and have only seen 1 other pistol polished to this level with DLC.


    I wanted to show pics of everything as there are only a few other finishes out there that I have not shown prime examples of. I think everyone can form a pretty good opinion and have a pretty good idea of how they differ after seeing the pictures!


    On a side note:
    My 007 has a straight classic look... really can be mistaken for Carbona Blue (Turnbull Blue) at first glance, and I really love it! It goes perfectly with the theme of the pistol and wouldn't change it.


    In saying that, the DLC is now my favorite finish out of any pistol I have/any finish I have seen... esp after comparing them all side by side. Even if you dont go with a mirror polish, the color and depth of it is just better than the rest. It is a little more grey looking than blued. You can see that in the Python comparison pic and it is def more mirror/reflects light. It different than the Python finish (which for most is considered the gold standard in blued finishes)... The best way for me to explain it is "softer". The Python shown is an early 80's example... even in comparison to the late 50's and early 60's Pythons I have, the DLC is still better, to me at least.


    The Smython, was done by Bob Cogan over at APG and features his brushed chrome finish (which is a bit different than matte hard chrome or even brushed hard chrome chrome done by folks like Metaloy or the others... its just better quality imo... It is a very elegant finish and I often times forget how nice it looks! Its brighter/more silver than brushed stainless and much stronger... If I were getting another chrome or stainless... this is 100% the finish I would go for!


    Obviously Cerakote/AT and Black Nitride are more "combat" style/looking finishes that prevent rush and wear well... I am partial to Cerakote as it can be taken off quickly and changed if you ever decide you want to give your pistol a makeover... The same can not be said for the Nitride which is a form of Nitro Carburizing. There is no smith or refinisher out there at this point (to my knowledge that will remove this and refinish a pistol).


    I tried to get some different light angles for you with the DLC as it changes A LOT in different light and depending on angles.


    Hope you guys enjoy the pics of some incredible pieces!





























  • #2
    cundiff5535
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2011
    • 806







    Comment

    • #3
      Gringo Bandito
      Senior Member
      • Apr 2006
      • 1835

      Wow. Great looking guns!

      Comment

      • #4
        Baja_Traveler
        Member
        • Jan 2009
        • 343

        Fantastic looking safe queens - I would ruin the finish on every one of them in a single weekend at the range...
        sigpic NRA Life Since 1986 LTC:

        Comment

        • #5
          cundiff5535
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2011
          • 806

          The 1911's get shot a lot... I just don't carry them.

          Comment

          • #6
            sly-jay
            Member
            • Apr 2014
            • 397

            Awesome. Thanks for sharing this.

            Comment

            • #7
              mtenenhaus
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 2007
              • 3416

              Really appreciate the post, where did you have the Mirror polish DLC done? thanks

              Comment

              • #8
                CAGLS
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2012
                • 3708

                That blued 1911, want.

                Comment

                • #9
                  bigbadandugly
                  Junior Member
                  • Jan 2016
                  • 10

                  Wow! The Mirror polish DLC is something to behold. Thanks for posting.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    gsparesa
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 918

                    I want to say something nice but I'm still trying to catch me breath.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Citadelgrad87
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Mar 2007
                      • 16978

                      Super sexy. How fragile is the mirror finish? I have guns I never carry, but would worry about just setting that down on the bench.
                      Originally posted by tony270
                      It's easy to be a keyboard warrior, you would melt like wax in front of me, you wouldn't be able to move your lips.
                      Originally posted by repubconserv
                      Print it out and frame it for all I care
                      Originally posted by el chivo
                      I don't need to think at all..
                      Originally posted by pjsig
                      You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
                      XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        saudadeii
                        CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                        CGN Contributor
                        • Dec 2012
                        • 3468

                        I feel so inadequate...

                        Awesome collection!!
                        My Marketplace Feedback: https://www.calguns.net/forum/market...k#post54003245

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Rhyyke
                          Senior Member
                          • Sep 2008
                          • 2128

                          Your posts are an endless stream of beautiful 1911s!

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Orbiter
                            Member
                            • May 2015
                            • 131

                            Absolutely beautiful. Would love either of those Bunker 1911s, but the pair of those probably cost more than my entire firearms collection.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Germ1
                              Senior Member
                              • Apr 2014
                              • 1165

                              I like that polish, would do it to my Glock. Does it distract away from sight picture? Does the sun ever reflect off the finish and blind you? lol.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1