Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Weaver Stance Is Obsolete?!

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • ipser
    Senior Member
    • Jul 2009
    • 558

    Weaver Stance Is Obsolete?!

    According to world champion shooter, Jerry Miculek, the Weaver stance is obsolete and the icocolese is back in style.

    Jerry is not just making a competitive shooting argument but saying that it's superior for self defense too.



    Other sources are more nuanced:

    Guns and Ammo

    American Rifleman
    sigpic
  • #2
    target_shot
    Member
    • Jul 2015
    • 444

    I do tend to agree........

    Especially if the shooter is wearing body armor
    NRA Life Member
    Glock Armorer
    Colt Armorer
    FFL 03 + COE

    Comment

    • #3
      Lead Waster
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Sep 2010
      • 16650

      Originally posted by target_shot
      I do tend to agree........

      Especially if the shooter is wearing body armor
      yeah, from what I've read on the net (take it with a grain of salt) with weaver and body armor, you are exposing your unprotected side to the threat. With isoceles and body armor, you are presenting the front of your body armor.

      But also, you can more easily swivel to face threats to either side easier than with weaver.

      BUT ... Weaver looks way cooler on TV, especially if you yell out "Clear!" every 10 seconds ...
      ==================

      sigpic


      Remember to dial 1 before 911.

      Forget about stopping power. If you can't hit it, you can't stop it.

      There. Are. Four. Lights!

      Comment

      • #4
        MXRider
        Banned
        • Feb 2010
        • 2927

        1991 called, they want their headline back.

        Professionals figured it out a long time ago. Modern training techniques are all teaching you to square off to your target and bring the gun up into your vision and "work space".

        Comment

        • #5
          Angrysnarf
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2015
          • 2860

          I use weaver I am horrible in icocolese

          Comment

          • #6
            Kestryll
            Head Janitor
            • Oct 2005
            • 21613

            Want to know what is obsolete?
            'Fashion Trends' in shooting.

            Use what works for you, what you're most comfortable with and what fits your needs.
            If someone doesn't like it or some pro says it doesn't work, screw 'em if it's working for you.

            See how simple that was?
            sigpic NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA Life Member / SAF Life Member
            Calguns.net an incorported entity - President.
            The Calguns Shooting Sports Assoc. - Vice President.
            The California Rifle & Pistol Assoc. - Director.
            DONATE TO NRA-ILA, CGSSA, AND CRPAF NOW!
            Opinions posted in this account are my own and unless specifically stated as such are not the approved position of Calguns.net, CGSSA or CRPA.

            Comment

            • #7
              NinjaNinja
              Member
              • Dec 2015
              • 480

              Umm it varies on the situation. But that guy is right, and damn can he put rounds down in a hurry. Holy crap.

              Comment

              • #8
                Barbarosa
                Senior Member
                • Jan 2013
                • 2166

                You mean the gansta' side grip isn't best???

                As Barbarosa said, "Always stand still. Nothin' scares a man more than for you to be standin' still when you should be runnin' like a spotted assed ape."
                Last edited by Barbarosa; 01-05-2016, 3:25 PM.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Old4eyes
                  Senior Member
                  • Feb 2010
                  • 1757

                  Originally posted by Lead Waster
                  BUT ... Weaver looks way cooler on TV, especially if you yell out "Clear!" every 10 seconds ...
                  My dad would yell out "Clear" before starting his airplane, he wasn't in Weaver stance. Can't say it was Isocolese either.
                  Send Lawyers, Guns and Money - On second thought, hold the Lawyers.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    JustEd
                    Senior Member
                    • Apr 2012
                    • 988

                    I don't know if the Weaver is obsolete but most teach the modified iscoclese now.
                    "I think, therefore some people make me laugh"

                    Comment

                    • #11
                    • #12
                      1911ShooterPhil
                      Senior Member
                      • Jul 2010
                      • 1037

                      Here's an article describing the shooting stances...



                      But, it's not all about stance...
                      Wielding a combat handgun effecitively is no mystery, simply put these five fundamentals into practice to master your self-defense sidearm.


                      When I went through military basic and military advanced training, and later when I did various law enforcement training, plus all of my instruction by the many gun trainers I've had...I learned Weaver stance. You want to provide a narrow target to your opponent. Combat shooting is not target shooting. If I have time to set up a shot, it'd be isosceles. But, all else, it'd be Weaver.

                      Cheers! --1911ShooterPhil
                      "A gun is a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that." Shane (1953)

                      Comment

                      • #13
                        Ronin2
                        Banned
                        • Jan 2011
                        • 5563

                        Originally posted by MXRider
                        1991 called, they want their headline back.

                        Professionals figured it out a long time ago. Modern training techniques are all teaching you to square off to your target and bring the gun up into your vision and "work space".
                        No not all...unless you limit yourself to the YouTube trainers and internet masters

                        Originally posted by Barbarosa
                        You mean the gansta' side grip isn't best???
                        That would be the "Spike Lee high ready!


                        Originally posted by JustEd
                        I don't know if the Weaver is obsolete but most teach the modified iscocleseisosceles now.
                        What is "modified isosceles?

                        Comment

                        • #14
                          k1dude
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • May 2009
                          • 15912

                          Everyone is different. Use what works for you.

                          Some like Weaver. Some like isosceles. Some like modified Weaver. Find out which you personally like.
                          "Show me a young conservative and I'll show you a man without a heart. Show me an old liberal and I'll show you a man without a brain." - Sir Winston Churchill

                          "I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Senator Barry Goldwater

                          Comment

                          • #15
                            lakersfan
                            Member
                            • Apr 2015
                            • 499

                            I used the iscoclese for the first time last weekend at the range and did much better than the weaver or modified weaver.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            UA-8071174-1