I recently made the decision that I would like to purchase a pistol for my 63 yr. old mother to have for home defense. I am planning on taking her out to a local range to test some out and would like some suggestions/recommendations as to pistols/calibers that are reliable, effective on a BG, and easy for her to operate as well as control. I was considering setting her up with a Glock in 9mm or .380 and SA XD9 to try out at the range. Anyone else have any good suggestions to contribute as to what I should add on to the list?
Unconfigured Ad Widget
Collapse
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Need some assistance
Collapse
X
-
the easiest to load and clean is a revolver.
take her to the range first to shoot a variety of handguns. let her make the decision as to which one. she's the one that has to be comfortable with it and it has to fit her hand.
movie zombie
PS a .38 and/or .357 are very effective against the BG"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Originally posted by The ShootistJust use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D -
I suggested a .38 revolver to her, but she is not partial to the looks of a revolver and would prefer a pistol. I believe the the felt recoil from a .357 would be too much for her wrists to handle, which is why I thought 9mm/.380 might be a good starting point. Maintenance would not be an issue for her as I would be the one servicing the firearm.Comment
-
I think an easy test to she if a semi auto is good for her is if she can rack the slide. A lot of my male and female friends have a hard time racking the slide, so i think thats a good way to start. However a revolver is quite easy to handle.(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") Copy and paste this bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.!!!Comment
-
its not about looks
she would be best off with a full size revolver in 38"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas JeffersonComment
-
Another vote for a revolver here. My wife (in her 30's) has trouble working the slide of some of my pistols. Your mom (hehe, I said your mom) may have trouble too."If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.
"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin
"You have to be willing to swing your nuts like a deadblow hammer to put these jackasses in their place." - AJAX22
"The best defense against usurpatory government is an assertive citizenry." - William F Buckley Jr.
sigpicComment
-
I have also read about the .380 having more snap than a .38 and even a 9mm. I'm still pushing for the .38 so with a little more convincing, and more than a few rounds at the range, I'm sure she'll put more thought into it. Thanks to all who contributed any input!
Comment
-
Yup. I too would select a revolver for her. Also maybe try a smaller pistol like a Walther PPK or anything of similar size. They are much easier to rack."people shouldnt be bumping sold stuff. but it is hard to herd cats." - rkt88edmoComment
-
If you can find a used S&W 66 with a 4" barrel and teach her how to load and shoot it with 38 spl that should be the ticket. I tried to teach my mother how to shoot a 38 spl and the first round was right on target dead center mass. Well, the next shot and after hit nowhere on paper, because she started closing her eyes as she pulled the trigger. The only 22lr I had was a Buckmark and she couldn't rack that slide if it was to save her life. If she can't shoot the 38, try looking for a Beretta or Taurus pocket autos with the tip up barrels. The barrel tips up for manual loading of the first round into the chamber. I'd rather shoot a 25acp than a 22lr if pressed to use one for self defense, the centerfire 25acp has a better chance of going bang versus the 22lr rimfire.The wise man said just find your place
In the eye of the storm
Seek the roses along the way
Just beware of the thorns... K. MeineComment
-
NOT a small frame revolver. J-frame sized revolver are hard to shoot. Medium sized revolver is probably the best way to go.Comment
-
i love my j-frame model 60 smith and wesson snubbie. don't go any lighter with the lightweight/airweight frames as the recoil is just way too nasty.
but i also love my k-frame model 66 with a 4 inch barrel. a lot heavier but well balanced.
again, please take her somewhere where she can operate and fire as many different types of guns possible! until she does that she won't really know what she wants. let her shoot a .22 first! then move up to the higher calibre guns while at the range. its also the only way she'll know if she can really operate a slide.
a gun is useless unless its one that she's practiced with. more people are killed with .22's each year than any other calibre. if that's what she'll practice with then that's what she'll be accurate with. if you get her something she doesn't practice with, well, she won't be able to defend herself very well. so in my book a .22 is better than the .38 for some people. some women start out with a .22 and then get bored and want to move up to a higher calibre.
and don't forget to make sure she gets her handgun certificate!
movie zombie"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Originally posted by The ShootistJust use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :DComment
Calguns.net Statistics
Collapse
Topics: 1,868,806
Posts: 25,151,791
Members: 358,862
Active Members: 5,815
Welcome to our newest member, 1776 Arms.
What's Going On
Collapse
There are currently 21772 users online. 97 members and 21675 guests.
Most users ever online was 239,041 at 10:39 PM on 02-14-2026.

Comment