Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Barrel for Kimber 10mm?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • sjracer
    Junior Member
    • Dec 2010
    • 55

    Barrel for Kimber 10mm?

    My father has a Kimber Stainless Target ll 10mm that he'd like to give me. The catch is it's got a threaded barrel (he lives in Texas). Anyone know where I can source a standard barrel for it?

    I figure I'll just purchase it and have it sent directly to him. He can swap it out and then ship it to my FFL and I can legally own it in the People's Republic of California.

    Thanks,
    Eric
    sigpic
    -Patrick Henry
  • #2
    justjeff
    Senior Member
    • Aug 2011
    • 1301

    You can also pin and weld a comp. which wouldn't be a big deal since 1911 barrels come out through the front. fusion and shooters connection should have barrels though.
    Originally posted by LBDamned
    Serious people make real change in their lives... Others complain on forums.

    Comment

    • #3
      sjracer
      Junior Member
      • Dec 2010
      • 55

      Originally posted by HopetonBrown
      A quality barrel will be oversized and needs to be fit to the gun.
      Does Kimber not sell a standard barrel for the 10mm?
      sigpic
      -Patrick Henry

      Comment

      • #4
        sjracer
        Junior Member
        • Dec 2010
        • 55

        Originally posted by justjeff
        You can also pin and weld a comp. which wouldn't be a big deal since 1911 barrels come out through the front. fusion and shooters connection should have barrels though.
        This is an intriguing idea. Unfortunately my Dad's in pretty bad shape and can't get to a gunsmith to have such a job performed. Can he legally ship it to my FFL here for him to do the work? I assume he can since he's shipping some other guns that have standard cap mags which my FFL will be pinning for me.
        sigpic
        -Patrick Henry

        Comment

        • #5
          jimmythebrain
          Member
          • Dec 2007
          • 425

          1911 barrels are not like barrels for a glock, sig sauer, SA XD- they have a lower barrel lug that rides on the slide stop/takedown pin and the timing is controlled by the length of a barrel link (and recoil and mainsprings).
          Also the barrel hood and the upper lugs that mate with the inside ridges on the inside of slide have to be "fit" as well.
          Also keep in mind that the Kimber 10 MM has a ramped barrel, there are also 1911 10 MM with non-ramped barrels, like the early Colt Delta elite and my 1st Generation Dan Wesson RZ-10.
          Shoot the gun, if it shoots well, then just have the threaded portion cut off and recrown the barrel or have a comp attached as instructed above.
          You could possiblyeven just have a gunsmith turn the end of the barrel down to eliminate the threading I guess.

          When I had a 1st Gen Walther P22, the CA DOJ solution was for me to send it back To S&W repair and they just permanent "lock tited" a smooth barrel thread protector on the threaded portion. No pinning, no welding.

          Good luck

          Comment

          • #6
            LowThudd
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2011
            • 3608

            Edit. Did not know they were a ramped barrel. Here is a Fusion bull barrel ramped. May or may not need fitting to the slide. http://www.fusionfirearms.com/parts/...mp-bull-barrel
            Last edited by LowThudd; 12-07-2015, 9:18 AM.

            Comment

            • #7
              JTROKS
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Nov 2007
              • 13093

              Yup! Have your dad send the gun to your Gunsmith/FFL and it will be a one shop stop.
              The wise man said just find your place
              In the eye of the storm
              Seek the roses along the way
              Just beware of the thorns...
              K. Meine

              Comment

              • #8
                Pardini
                Senior Member
                • May 2014
                • 1204

                A couple of turns on a belt dander will take the threads off or a bit of work with a file.
                Originally Posted by OCEquestrian View Post
                Excellent! I am thinking about it as well and I only have 4 points and an unfortunate "match bump" up to expert classification where I am far less "competitive" with my peers there.

                Comment

                • #9
                  yokron
                  Senior Member
                  • Jun 2010
                  • 1197

                  You should always have a 1911 gunsmith or the FACTORY fit a barrel for a match grade 1911. I would consider Kimber as almost match-grade. This is what I would do:

                  Call Kimber and tell them you'd like to send in your slide to have a new match barrel and bushing fitted to your slide. You probably only have to pay for the new barrel/bushing. Kimber will do any fitting if required. I always like to have the factory supply their own parts and do any fitting if required. Gives you 100% assurance and keep your warranty

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    ThatFishGuy
                    Senior Member
                    • Jun 2008
                    • 1084

                    ^^1911 barrels are fit to more than just the slide. Personally I wouldnt go that route. Easiest way may be to buy a cheap barrel (think sarco or something), one you know will drop in to just about any gun. Just so that the FFL can drop it in the kimber and do the transfer. Then once its yours you can have a local smith turn off the threads/chop the factory barrel, or have a nice new one fitted. I dont know many FFLs that I would trust to also properly fit a 1911 barrel. Most smiths can get one in and working reasonably, but for the $$$ of a quality barrel I would want it done right.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      cantdance
                      Senior Member
                      • May 2014
                      • 919

                      I think barsto may have a ramped barrel for the kimber. I also have a target II 10mm. Enjoy.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Sailormilan2
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2006
                        • 3484

                        PM sent.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          SLO1911Fan
                          Senior Member
                          • Jan 2010
                          • 1483

                          Originally posted by JTROKS
                          Yup! Have your dad send the gun to your Gunsmith/FFL and it will be a one shop stop.
                          Assuming you're talking about sending the whole gun, that isn't an option. Not unless the Gunsmith/FFL has an 07 and an DW permit.

                          You could send it in without that barrel and have them fit a new one. Or send in the barrel and have the threads turned down on a mill.
                          I'm a big old, bourbon-soaked cigar-huffing ***, as God in his infinite wisdom meant me to be. - Charlie Sheen.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          UA-8071174-1