Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Cold Gun, Warm Gun?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Wicked Pete
    Calguns Addict
    • May 2010
    • 5182

    Cold Gun, Warm Gun?

    In rifle bench rest shooting, it was the "first cold shot", should be dead on. A goal.

    In pistol shooting, it seems the gun doesn't get accurate (enough) until it warms up. Let loose with a few mags downrange, then she starts speaking my language.

    Any one else found this? Or am I just (old) and out of practice?

  • #2
    Black Majik
    Calguns Addict
    • Oct 2005
    • 9695

    Originally posted by Wicked Pete
    In rifle bench rest shooting, it was the "first cold shot", should be dead on. A goal.

    In pistol shooting, it seems the gun doesn't get accurate (enough) until it warms up. Let loose with a few mags downrange, then she starts speaking my language.

    Any one else found this? Or am I just (old) and out of practice?

    You must be REALLY good to notice a difference on a cold bore shot.

    I can't say I've noticed a difference between a first shot and my last on a pistol, that's with shooting out to 100 yards on a pistol.

    Comment

    • #3
      Revoman
      Senior Member
      • Dec 2007
      • 2395

      I have tracked my scores for a few years and I can safely say that while I cannot detect a difference in the first few target scores, the mid scores are normally slightly better than both the beginning and ending scores.
      So, is it due to the gun warming up, or you/me?
      I assume that it's you/me and not the gun.
      Warm up scores are still high, as are the ending scores, but one or two 'X' different is what I'm talking about. Most times my first shots are in the 'X' ring, the middle scores simply have more 'X' scores than at either end. I assume that there is a tiredness factor for the ending scores, but still scoring 'X's, just not as many.
      My theory is that it's the shooter and not the gun.

      Comment

      • #4
        nitroxdiver
        Calguns Addict
        • Aug 2009
        • 6979

        Cold Gun, Warm Gun?

        Pete, that's a cool photo. On to your question. For me, with a pistol, especially if it's been more than a couple weeks since I've shot, it's me. Guarantee it. And I can narrow it down even further. It's me, and I'm inducing flinch anticipating recoil, or getting reacquainted with the trigger. I'm not talking missing the paper here, but maybe being an inch or so low and or left at 10-15yds. After a few rounds of me warming up, the pistol shoots just fine, dead center, pretty much


        Sent from classified location using Tapatalk.

        Comment

        • #5
          Click Boom
          Calguns Addict
          • Nov 2013
          • 6955

          Practicing the drive by? Lol

          Comment

          • #6
            trigger945
            Calguns Addict
            • Sep 2012
            • 5795

            I find that it has been me and not the gun. I need to warm up more than the gun does.
            One Way to Post Pics ********** How to Submit an iTrader Rating That Counts ********** Brass for Sale

            AR's for Sale ********** Ammo for Sale ********** Accessories/Parts for Sale ********** Handguns for Sale

            Comment

            • #7
              Rhyyke
              Senior Member
              • Sep 2008
              • 2128

              I've noticed that I have a weird pattern, definitely more me than the gun I think.

              First 10 shots are dead on, beautiful.

              Around the 30-50 round mark I'm crapping out, bad habits showing up.

              By round 100 I have readjusted and I'm back into the groove.

              Basically I need a 50-100 round warmup when I hit the range.

              Comment

              Working...
              UA-8071174-1