Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

M&P Apex Tactical install

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • hundy
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    CGN Contributor
    • Jun 2013
    • 550

    M&P Apex Tactical install

    I have 5 M&P pistols. I have been wanting to upgrade the trigger and sear with a Apex Tactical kit. I have watched their videos several times. I ordered their Armorers block and tray.

    I have built AR's and modified other rifles. But I have never taken a pistol down that far. (As in the videos)
    I am just asking if there is anyone who has done the install themselves and give any advice they may have. I am just a little nervous about it. I felt the same way on my first AR build, but it worked out well.

    If it helps, I have; 1 full size 9mm and 40cal and a 40c, and 2 shields. I was going to order the Apex Tactical Forward Set Sear and Trigger Kit for my full size 40 and try that one first.

    Any advice or information is appreciated.

    Thank you

    Jay
  • #2
    leeber18
    Junior Member
    • May 2011
    • 48

    I know what you mean, i felt that way too when i did mine. What i did was watch a few videos and replayed some a few times, then dove into the job while playing the video.

    the hardest part was removing the rear sight, i ended up using a larger steel punch with electrical tape to get it moving.

    i just recommend you take your time and have all the tools needed before attempting the job. For me it wasn't too hard and i ended up having fun and got a really nice trigger pull. the only thing i didn't do was replace the trigger with the flat faced one, i kept the original hinge style because i wanted my M&P 9 and my shield to have the same contoured trigger.

    Comment

    • #3
      tinman1975
      Member
      • Jul 2009
      • 277

      It's pretty easy if you just follow the video and have a little bit of mechanical aptitude. Also, if you have the California versions with the mag disconnect, I highly recommend removing it while you are at it and have it broken down that far. You will have an extra spring that works perfectly for the job when you replace the factory sear spring with the Apex one. If you want to replace the striker block,you might look into a sight pusher for the M&P since you have so many of them. Here is a tutorial for removing disconnect




      Use your factory sear spring that you removed in place of spring D in the photos

      .
      Last edited by tinman1975; 09-10-2015, 5:29 PM.

      Comment

      • #4
        9mmepiphany
        Calguns Addict
        • Jul 2008
        • 8075

        You're way ahead of where I was when I installed my FSS. The Apex Tactical Armorer's Black and Tray are worth their weight in gold.

        Don't do it the way I did:
        1. Doing it at a range without electricity or Wifi
        2. Driving pins into a block of molding with a hole drilled in it
        3. Using a piece of doweling to knock the rear sight in and out
        4. Dropping pieces into the dirt
        5. Mounting the trigger bar into the trigger upside down

        Even with all that, I got it back together with only one piece left over...and it functioned.

        Do the install where you can watch the videos as you proceed.

        It is very helpful to have actual roll-pin punches.

        A bench vice is really useful if you are changing the sights...the front is tighter than the rear.

        While you have it apart, you might as well polish any rubbing surfaces and remember to lube them with grease before assembly
        ...because the journey is the worthier part...The Shepherd's Tale

        Comment

        • #5
          Sentenza
          Senior Member
          • Feb 2013
          • 566

          If you got the aluminum FSS trigger, driving the pin while maintaining the bar orientation can be tricky. There is a section in the tray for this, but a vise actually helps more there.

          If you decide to switch out the trigger return spring, a dental pick helps with helping sliding it over the slave pin. As the post above, double check your trigger bar orientation before driving the pin.

          I think the hardest part is getting the rear sight off for the firing pin plunger.

          Sear block should be easy.

          Comment

          • #6
            skosh69
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2011
            • 4290

            Watching the APEX install video makes it easy, trust me. If you've built AR's like you say, you can do this.


            The only thing that made me nervous was taking off the rear sight to replace the USB.

            Here is my tips for a smooth install of the USB:

            If you don't have access to a sight pusher, a good vise and a large piece of 1/8" rubber or something similar to protect both sides of the slide will work.

            A wide tipped screwdriver with the blade wrapped in masking tape, to prevent marring the slide. If you have access to a a screwdriver that has the shank going through the handle with a "button" at the top of the handle, this is the best type.

            Use small taps at the base of the sight until you see it start to move, no big whacks!!!


            Remember, push the sight from the left side to the right side and vice versa to re-install. It helps to make pencil marks on your slide to assure correct alignment when putting it back on.

            Good luck OP.

            Comment

            • #7
              sholling
              I need a LIFE!!
              CGN Contributor
              • Sep 2007
              • 10360

              If you several M&Ps to do then I suggest investing in a sight pusher. It's probably not worth the price for just one, but it helps a lot when you have a few to do.

              The time to upgrade your sights is while you have the rear sight off anyway.

              What's left out of Apex's videos is deburring the striker block's hole and polishing the trigger bar.

              The suggestion to have a dental pick handy is a good one, so is removing the magazine disconnect while you have it apart. You can make your own springs to replace the one holding the mag disconnect bar, but I like to buy the factory springs from speed shooters specialties. Assume that you'll lose at least one.
              "Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." --FREDERIC BASTIAT--

              Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association, the Second Amendment Foundation, and the California Rifle & Pistol Association

              Comment

              • #8
                Sentenza
                Senior Member
                • Feb 2013
                • 566

                Originally posted by sholling
                The suggestion to have a dental pick handy is a good one, so is removing the magazine disconnect while you have it apart. You can make your own springs to replace the one holding the mag disconnect bar, but I like to buy the factory springs from speed shooters specialties. Assume that you'll lose at least one.
                I also removed my mag disconnect; IIRC, I used the old sear spring since I received a new one with the sear kit.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Mbiker_101
                  Member
                  • Dec 2010
                  • 314

                  The apex video is good but skips a few steps, search youtube and find other videos of the install. Watch as many as possible and go for it. Just take your time, don't lose parts, and if you get stuck. Find another video that explains the area you are stuck.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    squiddo
                    Senior Member
                    • Jan 2012
                    • 1238

                    Yep been there. Done a few, one took some Time but all are fantastic

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      c meikle
                      Junior Member
                      • Nov 2005
                      • 28

                      I concur with everyone who said watch the videos. I did the carry kit in my compact 9 while watching the videos. Sight pusher is great investment if you have more than one pistol. Makes it much easier. Good luck

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        TheInternetGunner
                        Junior Member
                        • Jun 2014
                        • 82

                        In case you have a CORE, there's no need to remove the rear sight on the CORE model, just the optics cover.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          sholling
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          CGN Contributor
                          • Sep 2007
                          • 10360

                          Originally posted by Sentenza
                          I also removed my mag disconnect; IIRC, I used the old sear spring since I received a new one with the sear kit.
                          Regular M&Ps aren't fussy at all about the spring but I've found that Shields are. The sear spring might work, but the M&P's factory correct spring does work.

                          Originally posted by c meikle
                          I concur with everyone who said watch the videos. I did the carry kit in my compact 9 while watching the videos. Sight pusher is great investment if you have more than one pistol. Makes it much easier. Good luck
                          Note that because the slide material is so thin on the Shield it takes a different size sight pusher.
                          "Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." --FREDERIC BASTIAT--

                          Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association, the Second Amendment Foundation, and the California Rifle & Pistol Association

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            protohyp
                            Vendor/Retailer
                            • Sep 2014
                            • 3349

                            If I were you I would just take down and reassemble your pistol about 10 times over and over again until you completely understand where everything goes. That way even if you don't install any aftermarket accessories and happen to have something happen at the range you might be able to diagnose, correct and get your gun running again without any issues and not having your day end right there. You'll just have to get used to wanting a 3rd hand to help with small parts, springs that might go flying...etc but once you understand it you won't be afraid to do any mods to it.
                            MESSAGE ME FOR ARMAGLOCK COUPON CODES!!!!
                            3 kits at 200.00
                            4 kits at 250.00


                            MANTIS BLACKBEARD X AFFILIATE LINK https://mantisx.idevaffiliate.com/id...id=528&url=172

                            DRYFIREMAG AFFILIATE LINK https://www.dryfiremag.com/?ref=Protohyp

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Legasat
                              Intergalactic Member
                              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                              • Mar 2009
                              • 4151

                              My first couple of kits did not come with the plastic pilot pin for putting the trigger back together. My later kits did. That was the biggest time saver for me. Just take your time, stop the video while complete the current step, and you should be fine. The FSS was not available when I did mine, so I have done the Duty/Carry kits and the Competition kit. Made a world of difference.
                              ..

                              .........STGC(SW)


                              SAF Life Member

                              sigpic
                              NRA Benefactor

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1