Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Another "What's It Worth" Thread: S&W Model 19 (no dash)

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • tmh1
    Kitchen Operator
    CGN Contributor
    • Nov 2012
    • 1903

    Another "What's It Worth" Thread: S&W Model 19 (no dash)

    I happened into this Model 19 last year at my LGS, and not being an S&W expert didn't even know that it was a no dash until I brought it home. It is in really nice shape for a gun which (according to my SN estimation) comes from around 1960. Definitely shows some holster wear on the muzzle end of the barrel and on the cylinder, but overall the bluing is in great shape. Locks up tight and shoots just great (I only shot it once, but after determining what it was, I have just left it in the safe). I am at least the 2nd owner, and the gun did not come with any box, accessories or paperwork when I bought it.

    But now I'm looking at getting into Cowboy Action Shooting, and with purchases for that sport I'm not really interested in having safe queens sitting around. I've looked at Gunbroker and other resources for pricing, but it is really all over the place, and there really don't seem to be many no dashes out there for sale.

    Any S&W experts out there that can give me a valuation idea from the photo below?

    Thanks.
    sigpic
    "Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan
  • #2
    highpower
    Calguns Addict
    • May 2012
    • 5331

    Hard to say without a few more pictures, but around here a decent M19 is going to be at least five bills. there is a big plus with yours as it still has what appears to be the original target stocks.

    With collectors, condition is everything and holster wear will detract some from the value. So, without actually looking at it and taking into consideration that is a no dash, I would say that it should bring a solid $650-725. I recent was offered a grand for my -2 Model 19, but mine is NIB and has the box, paperwork, cleaning kit and SAT.
    MLC member.

    Biden, proof that stupid people shouldn't be allowed to vote.

    Dumocraps suck balls.

    Comment

    • #3
      Erion929
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2013
      • 4706

      Before seeing Highpower's post, I was thinking $625-700 depending on who's buying....so I wasn't far off from The Man
      Join Active Junky for online rebates....$10 to both you and me!

      https://www.activejunky.com/invite/238017


      Comment

      • #4
        shooting4life
        Calguns Addict
        • Jan 2009
        • 5770

        Need more pictures, looks like lots of wear on the cylinder. I would guess $700 for the right California buyer, maybe $800 if you want to wait.

        Comment

        • #5
          tmh1
          Kitchen Operator
          CGN Contributor
          • Nov 2012
          • 1903

          Thanks guys! Yeah, I know that it is impossible to make a decent estimate off only one photo which isn't lit all that well, but I appreciate the input you all have given. Now to figure out whether I really want to part with it.

          Thanks again.
          sigpic
          "Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

          Comment

          • #6
            curt1950
            CGN/CGSSA Contributor
            CGN Contributor
            • Oct 2009
            • 98

            I have a m 66-0 I bought it NIB last dec. at the ventura gun show for $750 I looked at it for about 3 months before shooting it. what a nice revolver ! Used like yours probably 6-to 650 I'd buy it from you but I think you should keep it, you'd never regret it.

            Comment

            • #7
              anothergunnut
              Senior Member
              • Jan 2006
              • 1819

              If it has significant wear on the muzzle and the cylinder and no box, it's not a safe queen. Shoot it and enjoy it without worrying about the value. It's not going to go down in value because you, god forbid, actually shoot it.
              Check back later for a witty comment.

              Comment

              • #8
                Marquand
                Senior Member
                • Feb 2013
                • 1482

                Model 19-0 models don't come up for sale very often. Pinned barrels and recessed cylinder chambers can put guys like me in a bit of a tizzy. Here in the PRK, $800 is where I'd put it's value. In free America, about $100-200 less depending on locale.
                "A vote is like a rifle; it's usefulness depends upon the character of the user." - Theodore Roosevelt

                Comment

                • #9
                  StefanJanowski
                  Senior Member
                  • May 2012
                  • 591

                  Ill take it off your hands.
                  http://www.1911addicts.com/showthrea...911-addicts...

                  Message me if you have the following:

                  PreLock Smith & Wesson Revolvers
                  Performance Center 1911

                  XDm 5.25 40sw

                  10mm ANYTHING , AMMO, PISTOLS, ETC

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    jazman
                    Senior Member
                    • Apr 2008
                    • 2140

                    Originally posted by anothergunnut
                    If it has significant wear on the muzzle and the cylinder and no box, it's not a safe queen. Shoot it and enjoy it without worrying about the value. It's not going to go down in value because you, god forbid, actually shoot it.
                    This.
                    Originally posted by Kestryll
                    You're boned.
                    _________________________________

                    If you're gonna be a bear, be a Grizzly.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Mr. Beretta
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Dec 2005
                      • 6614

                      Nice looking model19 no dash.

                      If if doesn't have any major flame cutting between the forcing cone & top strap, locks up good & is "in time" its a $650 gun IMHO.

                      If it didn't have the 3 "T"s, target stocks (which look nice BTW), target hammer & target trigger, it would be a $600 gun IMHO.

                      Unless you need bail money or need to pay medical bills asap , don't sell it. Solid older pre lock Smiths are getting fewer & fewer.

                      Good Luck!

                      P.S..........................Don't sell it!

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        ironhorse1
                        Senior Member
                        • Nov 2012
                        • 1005

                        It would sell for $700-$800 in this market. The 19 is the Smith & Wesson revolver to have for medium hands and an overall well balanced feel.

                        Check the bottom of the forcing cone for excessive wear or cracks from flame cutting.

                        That is the weak point in the design due to having to cut the bottom of the barrel to clear the yoke.

                        Shoot it and enjoy the finest handgun they ever made.

                        It will hold its value and you may never find one again.

                        irh

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          tmh1
                          Kitchen Operator
                          CGN Contributor
                          • Nov 2012
                          • 1903

                          Originally posted by ironhorse1
                          It would sell for $700-$800 in this market. The 19 is the Smith & Wesson revolver to have for medium hands and an overall well balanced feel.

                          Check the bottom of the forcing cone for excessive wear or cracks from flame cutting.

                          That is the weak point in the design due to having to cut the bottom of the barrel to clear the yoke.

                          Shoot it and enjoy the finest handgun they ever made.

                          It will hold its value and you may never find one again.

                          irh
                          I don't know very well what I'm looking for on older S&Ws, but to me it looks like this gun sat around more than it was shot.

                          sigpic
                          "Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            ironhorse1
                            Senior Member
                            • Nov 2012
                            • 1005

                            Gunblast

                            That looks to be in great condition!

                            Here is a link to an article which will explain, better than I can, why that cut under the barrel has lead to some forcing cone cracks.



                            Keep it shoot it and enjoy.

                            I shot mostly full power loads until I bought a 686. Now .38's and medium .357 loads are used in the 19.

                            irh

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              denpython
                              Senior Member
                              • Jan 2013
                              • 1898

                              If somebody is itching, they will give ya the 'scratch'.:-)

                              The


                              Average out the value opinions.
                              NRA Life Member, GOA member

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1