Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

six inch 1911

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • bug_eyedmonster
    • Oct 2007
    • 3639

    six inch 1911

    Hey all,


    I have been thinking about building one of the STI frames I have into a six inch in 9mm. I dunno why, but it seems like the right thing to do. Thoughts or ideas?

    Jerry
    The inconvenience of poor quality lingers long after the thrill of a good bargain.
  • #2
    nothingextra
    Senior Member
    • May 2012
    • 838

    Do you have any rules the build needs to conform to....or can you do whatever you want?

    Comment

    • #3
      bug_eyedmonster
      • Oct 2007
      • 3639

      To clarify, this is not a build for anything specific. Not a open gun or anything specifically for competition. It will be going to one of three gunsmiths, depending on how it pans out. The only thing is 9mm or possibly .40, since I have the mags for them already.


      Jerry
      The inconvenience of poor quality lingers long after the thrill of a good bargain.

      Comment

      • #4
        bug_eyedmonster
        • Oct 2007
        • 3639

        Oh, and the two types of frames I can choose from are the standard length dust cover and the tactical cut with the rail.


        Jerry
        The inconvenience of poor quality lingers long after the thrill of a good bargain.

        Comment

        • #5
          bountyhunter
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2005
          • 3423

          Originally posted by bug_eyedmonster
          Hey all,


          I have been thinking about building one of the STI frames I have into a six inch in 9mm. I dunno why, but it seems like the right thing to do. Thoughts or ideas?

          Jerry
          I had a 6" .40 cal top end built for my STI Trojan and it shoots great.

          Comment

          • #6
            JTROKS
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Nov 2007
            • 13093

            A 2011 or 1911?
            The wise man said just find your place
            In the eye of the storm
            Seek the roses along the way
            Just beware of the thorns...
            K. Meine

            Comment

            • #7
              bug_eyedmonster
              • Oct 2007
              • 3639

              Originally posted by JTROKS
              A 2011 or 1911?
              Could be either, really, but I have more double stack frames than single stack ones left.
              The inconvenience of poor quality lingers long after the thrill of a good bargain.

              Comment

              • #8
                nothingextra
                Senior Member
                • May 2012
                • 838

                I'd want a red dot, a quality barrel, good ignition parts, otherwise plain Jane.
                No crazy milling or coatings.
                I'd want it to be heavy and sit on target.
                I'd want a stupidly light, crisp, medium length trigger pull.
                I'd want the frame blended so every time it was in my hand it would just sit my middle finger and web of my hand.
                I'd want to feel like I had utmost control in fast strings.

                I'd probably go single stack, but whatever you can do to massage a 2011 frame into feeling like a Sig E2 grip would be good.

                I'd also want it to be reliable, like shoot 500rd days and go a few days btw cleaning.

                Comment

                • #9
                  nothingextra
                  Senior Member
                  • May 2012
                  • 838

                  OP, have you shot 357sig out to 50yds?
                  229 SAS with a factory 357sig barrel is my thing.

                  A 6" 1911 in 357sig with a great trigger would be a hell of a pistol.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    hoss_hk
                    CGSSA Associate
                    • Aug 2010
                    • 875

                    If you're going to do 6" why not build it as a 10mm?

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      LowThudd
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2011
                      • 3608

                      b

                      Originally posted by hoss_hk
                      If you're going to do 6" why not build it as a 10mm?
                      Just what I was going to say. Though, since OP has the mags, .357 sig does seem a good choice also.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        LowThudd
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2011
                        • 3608

                        Though you would need 38 super mags, have you thought of 7.62x25 tok?

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          trigger945
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Sep 2012
                          • 5795

                          Ooohhh, a 6" 1911 in .357 Sig. What an idea! I can only imagine what a fun gun that would be...

                          I like .357 Sig. And I like 1911's. Combining the two just never crossed my mind.

                          OP, build one and let me shoot it
                          One Way to Post Pics ********** How to Submit an iTrader Rating That Counts ********** Brass for Sale

                          AR's for Sale ********** Ammo for Sale ********** Accessories/Parts for Sale ********** Handguns for Sale

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Kowan
                            CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                            CGN Contributor
                            • Jan 2015
                            • 1474

                            I've shot a 6" .45. That was one soft shooter.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              nothingextra
                              Senior Member
                              • May 2012
                              • 838

                              I'd probably go with having a Barsto 357sig barrel fitted up to a 40cal X5 and call it good.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1