Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Glock 30s Locking Block

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • TheSierraDrifter
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2010
    • 730

    Glock 30s Locking Block

    I noticed that the coating on one of the "rails" on the top of my Glock 30s locking block is flaking off, revealing the metal below (copper?). Did a fairly extensive google search and found that the vast majority of folks don't think it's a problem, including 2nd hand information resulting from Glock service calls. My question is this - is the 30s locking block the same as the model 30 or 30SF? I'm wanting to order a replacement but can't find one specifically listed for a Glock 30s, just the model 30's and 30SF's. I've left a message with Glock customer service, but haven't heard back yet. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
  • #2
    SkyHawk
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Sep 2012
    • 23531

    The 30, 30SF, and 36 locking block are the same part (also shared with 29, 29SF). Presumably since the G30S is a 30SF frame and a G36 slide, the locking block for 30 / 30SF / 36 will work.
    Click here for my iTrader Feedback thread: https://www.calguns.net/forum/market...r-feedback-100

    Comment

    • #3
      Doheny
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Sep 2008
      • 13820

      Glock 30s Locking Block

      Are you sure you're not looking at the copper lube? Google "Glock copper lube" if you're not sure.

      .
      Sent from Free America

      Comment

      • #4
        teg33
        Veteran Member
        • May 2013
        • 3441

        Pictures will help, most likely it's copper lube

        Comment

        • #5
          TheSierraDrifter
          Senior Member
          • Dec 2010
          • 730

          I should have used the word plating instead of "coating" - that might have muddied the waters a little. Definitely not the copper lube that comes with the guns from the factory. It's been thoroughly wiped and cleaned, and I can feel the edge of the plating where it is peeling off the block.

          Skyhawk, thanks for the info on the parts. And thanks to others for your help.

          Comment

          • #6
            scott_kart
            Senior Member
            • Feb 2013
            • 534

            Although not problematic in itself, it might be an indication that the recoil spring assembly may need to be replaced. A weak RSA can cause a harsher reaction between the slide and the frame. Any idea on the approximate number of rounds through the pistol?

            Comment

            • #7
              TheSierraDrifter
              Senior Member
              • Dec 2010
              • 730

              Only around 200...

              Comment

              • #8
                Doheny
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Sep 2008
                • 13820

                Glock 30s Locking Block

                I really think you're looking at the copper lube. I had the exact same thoughts as you did when I first got my Glock about eight years ago. You shouldn't have an issue after 200 or even 2000 rounds.

                .
                Last edited by Doheny; 05-14-2015, 3:45 PM. Reason: typos
                Sent from Free America

                Comment

                • #9
                  scott_kart
                  Senior Member
                  • Feb 2013
                  • 534

                  Originally posted by TheSierraDrifter
                  Only around 200...
                  Well that takes the weak RSA out of the equation.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    SkyHawk
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Sep 2012
                    • 23531

                    Not all Glock locking blocks are MIM. There are plenty of pics you can find using Google, of locking blocks with flaking plating, exposing what appears to be copper or bronze underneath. And many users report it happening with only a few hundred rounds.

                    Here are a couple of Calgun threads and pics:






                    Another thread with pics here http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=573281

                    Last edited by SkyHawk; 05-14-2015, 8:15 PM.
                    Click here for my iTrader Feedback thread: https://www.calguns.net/forum/market...r-feedback-100

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Lead Waster
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Sep 2010
                      • 16650

                      The frame of the 30s is the same as the 30SF. In fact if you look at your 30s frame, you'll see it is actually labelled "SF".

                      And since the difference between 30 and 30SF is in the grip, I'm guessing 30, 30sf and 30s locking blocks are the same part and part number.
                      ==================

                      sigpic


                      Remember to dial 1 before 911.

                      Forget about stopping power. If you can't hit it, you can't stop it.

                      There. Are. Four. Lights!

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Doheny
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Sep 2008
                        • 13820

                        OK, that's not lube.
                        Sent from Free America

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          SkyHawk
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Sep 2012
                          • 23531

                          Originally posted by sgt1372
                          I see it but I can't believe they'd use a copper or bronze alloy in the locking block. Never seen it in any of the 6 Glocks that I've owned (and I still own 5 of them). WFT?
                          I'm with you. I have a G22 and the rails molded into the frame are also showing a thinning of the chrome plate and exposing the copper underneath. I don't worry much about it, but you have to wonder what is up with some of these locking blocks.

                          Maybe the copper is another layer of plating over something else? It would be nice to see one of these types of locking blocks cut in half vertically so we could see the cross section.
                          Click here for my iTrader Feedback thread: https://www.calguns.net/forum/market...r-feedback-100

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            nbirnbaum2
                            Senior Member
                            • Aug 2011
                            • 791

                            I think you may have a bad MiM locking block. Recommend you take it to the glock dealer/certified armorer who sold it to you. Make sure glock sends you a shipping label on their dime if dealer says repair..
                            Last edited by nbirnbaum2; 05-14-2015, 7:51 PM.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              TheSierraDrifter
                              Senior Member
                              • Dec 2010
                              • 730

                              Thanks to Skyhawk for saving me the trouble of getting a good photo of mine! That is very similar to what mine looks like, although mine is coming off in larger pieces, whereas Skyhawk's photo appears that it is "bubbling". And mine is coming off only on one side.

                              I bought it PPT so unless I want to deal with Glock on it directly, it may be just better to buy a new part. I have 5 other Glocks that have been fired more than this one and I haven't experienced this with any of them.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1