Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Any reason to purchase a .380?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Sactorider
    Junior Member
    • Aug 2014
    • 29

    Any reason to purchase a .380?

    A relatively new gun hobbyist here guys. I'm sure this has been beat to death or discussed a few times. If I can get a 9mm with similar outline and weight
    shouldn't I just get a 9mm, or is there any advantage or pro to a .380?
  • #2
    Kowan
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    CGN Contributor
    • Jan 2015
    • 1474

    I'd get a compact 9mm over a .380.

    Comment

    • #3
      billped
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 2009
      • 2504

      It's below my minimum, so for me ... no. But I think we need to see the .380 owners chime in.
      Bill

      Comment

      • #4
        JDay
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Nov 2008
        • 19393

        Only if the recoil from 9mm hurts your girly hands
        Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace. -- James Madison

        The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)

        Comment

        • #5
          SloChicken
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2012
          • 4533

          Originally posted by JDay
          Only if the recoil from 9mm hurts your girly hands
          This, is the only reason. And that it will have a lighter recoil spring so your same girly hands can work the slide/chamber a round.
          sigpic

          Originally Posted by Cali-Shooter
          To me, it was a fist-fight, except that I did not counter-attack.

          Comment

          • #6
            Mr.Cip
            Senior Member
            • Jul 2013
            • 784

            I have a P238. It's underpowered and the ammo cost more... I knew that going in, I just wanted to have one.
            Unless you just want a .380 for some reason, get a 9mm...


            Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

            Comment

            • #7
              viet4lifeOC
              Veteran Member
              • May 2010
              • 4888

              I find the 380 is too much man for many or hitting where they aim brings on a cognitive dissonance that scares them.

              If you can't man up and wear big boy pants, than I'll recommend the 9mm. Worst comes to worst...turn over your man card and get the .40

              Comment

              • #8
                Kestryll
                Head Janitor
                • Oct 2005
                • 21613

                I love these discussions and always have the same question:

                If .380 is 'too small' or 'too weak' are you willing to stand in front of one and get shot by one?

                If not, it's not too small or too weak.
                sigpic NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA Life Member / SAF Life Member
                Calguns.net an incorported entity - President.
                The Calguns Shooting Sports Assoc. - Vice President.
                The California Rifle & Pistol Assoc. - Director.
                DONATE TO NRA-ILA, CGSSA, AND CRPAF NOW!
                Opinions posted in this account are my own and unless specifically stated as such are not the approved position of Calguns.net, CGSSA or CRPA.

                Comment

                • #9
                  JDay
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 19393

                  I wouldn't want to get shot by a
                  .177 pellet gun. Doesn't mean it'll get the job done.
                  Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace. -- James Madison

                  The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    roostersgt
                    Senior Member
                    • Dec 2012
                    • 1921

                    W. German police and several former Eastern Block countries' police and military carried 9mm Kurtz (.380) and they sure seemed to be able to stop/kill a lot of people. I've been to a whole lot of murders and suicides where guns smaller than .380 were used successfully by people with little to no training. Shot placement is far more important than "bigger", after all, dead is dead. Anyone who thinks a .380 is not a lethal enough round doesn't know much, other than what they've bought into from the "bigger is better" crowd, or read from ridiculous ballistics comparison charts etc... I don't know of any cops carrying a 9mm as back up, but I know many who carry .380's, Kahrs, LCP's and Sig p230's.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      TMB 1
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Dec 2012
                      • 7153

                      380 is better in small pistols. Less recoil faster to get back on target.
                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        BoJackUSMC
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Aug 2010
                        • 7091

                        I carry 380 because it's little easier to carry and conceal than 9mm during CA summer time.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Ugly Hombre
                          Senior Member
                          • Jul 2014
                          • 1191

                          Don't have one but thinking of getting a P238, most of my weapons are full size no problem- but think the P238 would be a nice weapon as for CCW.

                          Kind of heir of the the Colt 1908 380?

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            rcslotcar
                            Senior Member
                            • Jul 2014
                            • 1100

                            As a first gun look into a 9mm first. After your comfortable with it look into a .380 as a second gun. The 9mm will be a better all around carry/target shooting gun. The .380 although a good calibre just can't be brought up to 9mm capabilities. I own and shoot several 9mm/380 guns and enjoy shooting them all. Do a lot of reading and visit your local shop to find what feels best in your hand.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              S.P.F.
                              Member
                              • Oct 2014
                              • 104

                              Let's see.... you are looking for "good" reasons to buy a .380....

                              1) You are a James Bond aficionado, looking to complete your collection.

                              2) You believe that in a self defense situation, your attacker deserves a sporting chance to retaliate to your response.

                              3) You believe that ammunition prices are artificially low, and that the premium you pay for a less popular cartridge helps benefit struggling ammunition manufacturers.

                              4) You are a conservationist who believes in the preservation of precious smokeless powder resources.

                              5) Ah, heck, I'm gonna say it... PPK's are just so darn cute.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1