Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Racking the slide

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    timbo399
    Senior Member
    • Jul 2010
    • 1765

    I agree on the Shield. Boy was I embarrassed when doing the function test picking up my SSEd Shield when it took me 5 attempts to lock the slide back!

    As far as easiest handgun I own to rack the slide, gotta be my Beretta 92, feels like its on ball bearings even before applying grease.

    Comment

    • #17
      creampuff
      • Jan 2006
      • 3730

      Originally posted by CIimaX
      Have her shoot smaller gun like Shield.
      Please don't.

      Smaller guns are worse for women, because of the stronger spring tension, and also because of the greater felt recoil.
      Last edited by Creampuff; 02-22-2015, 9:24 PM.

      Comment

      • #18
        dvsdev
        Senior Member
        • Feb 2008
        • 527

        Front Sight teaches the overhand method of racking the slide and locking it back. Palm on one side of the slide, four fingers on the other, and thumb pointed towards you. Use one quick "power" motion to bring it back and release to rack. Rotate your grip if you need to reach the slide release lever, and use the same power motion and push up on slide release to lock back.

        Comment

        • #19
          Bill Steele
          Calguns Addict
          • Sep 2010
          • 5028

          YouTube search: "easy way to rack a slide."

          YouTube is your lady's friend, along with the Ruger website video library with women teaching women.
          When asked what qualities he most valued in his generals, Napoleon said, "give me lucky ones."

          Comment

          • #20
            darkjedi351
            Senior Member
            • Feb 2007
            • 940

            I went through this with my wife. she had a glock 19 and I tried different recoil springs without any results. I wasn't going to leave her home with the kids with a gun she couldn't manipulate.
            I sold the g19 and got her a small revolver. problem solved
            http://m14hdw.proboards.com/index.cgi

            http://www.sageebr.com/

            Comment

            • #21
              Sleighter
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2011
              • 3624

              Originally posted by darkjedi351
              I went through this with my wife. she had a glock 19 and I tried different recoil springs without any results. I wasn't going to leave her home with the kids with a gun she couldn't manipulate.
              I sold the g19 and got her a small revolver. problem solved
              Originally posted by HopetonBrown
              A Glock 19 with a neutered California 10 round magazine still holds twice as many rounds as a J frame revolver.
              10 rounds in the mag isn't very helpful if she can't rack the slide, or if the gun malfunctions. On a revolver if she can pull the trigger she can shoot the gun.
              If you are wondering if you can get a LTC in Riverside County: THE ANSWER IS YES!

              Join the discussion at:http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=352777

              Comment

              • #22
                Sleighter
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2011
                • 3624

                Originally posted by dvsdev
                Front Sight teaches the overhand method of racking the slide and locking it back. Palm on one side of the slide, four fingers on the other, and thumb pointed towards you. Use one quick "power" motion to bring it back and release to rack. Rotate your grip if you need to reach the slide release lever, and use the same power motion and push up on slide release to lock back.
                ^This. It's the easiest way to rack a slide because it uses the least amount of muscle and the most friction on the slide. Also, since that's what they'll be having her do, may as well practice that method now.
                If you are wondering if you can get a LTC in Riverside County: THE ANSWER IS YES!

                Join the discussion at:http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=352777

                Comment

                • #23
                  mafbloggerdanny
                  Member
                  • Sep 2010
                  • 412

                  one other thing in addition to what people have already said, I find that with new(er) shooters they have a tendency to try to hold the gun out as far away from their body as possible. Some people are a little afraid / nervous handling the gun. But the further away from your body it is, the more wasted energy. Holding the gun close in to your body gives you a little more power to expend.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    creampuff
                    • Jan 2006
                    • 3730

                    Originally posted by SDBlaster
                    I figured she would like my vp9 bc of the front slide serrations over my glock but she was having difficulty racking the slide fully to the rear.
                    Why is she using the front slide serrations? That is not a good leverage point especially since the VP9, has charging supports near the rear serrations.

                    The only handgun I've seen my wife easily rack is the VP9 because of the rear charging supports.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      CAGLS
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2012
                      • 3707

                      That's how I do it and have never had a problem with the low profile CZ slides. You can even use the rear sights to brace the side of your hand against. My Shadows with the 10# recoil spring and 11# or lighter hammer springs aid with less resistance when racking the slide. Rounding and polishing the bottom of the FPB stop plate on a Shadow or the edge of the center of the slide that contacts the face of the hammer will help also. You can do that to same area on any hammer fired handgun.

                      Originally posted by Ragnarok043
                      I find it easiest to rack the slide by placing the palm over the slide griping the rear serration then pushing the lowers receiver forward instead of trying to pull the slide back.
                      Last edited by CAGLS; 02-23-2015, 8:18 AM.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        whipkiller
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jul 2009
                        • 3461

                        Originally posted by Ragnarok043
                        I find it easiest to rack the slide by placing the palm over the slide griping the rear serration then pushing the lowers receiver forward instead of trying to pull the slide back.
                        ^^^ This

                        It doesn't seem like it would make that much difference, but it really does.

                        If that doesn't work, get a Beretta 92. Smoothest slide I've ever felt.
                        Too many hobbies, Too little time.

                        Mind you, I'm 5'7", 180, with a visible Ab...

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          static2126
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Mar 2013
                          • 5619

                          Originally posted by CIimaX
                          Have her shoot smaller gun like Shield.
                          Smaller guns are harder to rack...logic fail

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            darkjedi351
                            Senior Member
                            • Feb 2007
                            • 940

                            Originally posted by Sleighter
                            10 rounds in the mag isn't very helpful if she can't rack the slide, or if the gun malfunctions. On a revolver if she can pull the trigger she can shoot the gun.
                            EXACTLY!
                            http://m14hdw.proboards.com/index.cgi

                            http://www.sageebr.com/

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              Champagne-N-Beer
                              Senior Member
                              • Jan 2014
                              • 519

                              Have any in DA/SA?

                              Slides are (typically) much easier to rack on DA/SA guns versus striker fired.
                              Last edited by Champagne-N-Beer; 02-23-2015, 1:19 AM.

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                sportDogger
                                Member
                                • May 2014
                                • 384

                                And you could have racked it loaded 10 round back in mag and she'd have been ready to rock n roll. Could be your a bad teacher... also revolvers malfunction too. And with su h a long trigger pull I doubt she'd hit anything past 5 feet.
                                Originally posted by Sleighter
                                10 rounds in the mag isn't very helpful if she can't rack the slide, or if the gun malfunctions. On a revolver if she can pull the trigger she can shoot the gun.
                                Last edited by sportDogger; 02-23-2015, 1:29 AM.
                                Banshee for sale or trade for firearms
                                http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1045657

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1