Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

ruger LCR 9mm vs 38 j frames?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Sikvenum93
    Senior Member
    • Jul 2014
    • 2181

    ruger LCR 9mm vs 38 j frames?

    I was wondering how the recoil on the LCR 9 is? Is it comparable to the 38 LCR/j frames? Or is it more snappy? I also read that some 9mm ammo in wheel guns can have their bullets walk out due to recoil. Is this true? lastly are they accurate? Thanks, I mreally contemplating trading my j frame for a LCR9.
    Wise men seldom speak. - Arcus
  • #2
    keith1911
    Senior Member
    • Jun 2011
    • 1297

    I've got the same questions Sikvenum93. So any info would be appreciated.

    Comment

    • #3
      liberty47
      Senior Member
      • Jun 2012
      • 1566

      I've never shot a .38 but the 9mm was more to handle than than I expected. I didn't know what to expect.
      Last edited by liberty47; 02-11-2015, 7:07 PM.

      Comment

      • #4
        SkyHawk
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Sep 2012
        • 23531

        I shot the LCR 9 this week. Feels like shooting 38 +P out of a the LCR 38. It was nowhere near 357 snub territory. Did not shoot 9mm +P rounds yet though, but I don't think it will come close to the recoil of a 357 magnum round. I have a SP101 2.25" steel frame 357, and shooting 357 mag from it is no pleasure. I never felt that way about the LCR 9.

        I don't think modern 9mm ammo would have a problem with their crimps and bullets setting back or walking forward. Jeff at Gunblast said he never noticed any bullets walking forward: http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-LCR9mm.htm

        Accuracy was easily minute of man: Keeping the rounds in 8" square from 12 yards standing was no problem even the first time out, and after the first couple of cylinders was keeping them in a 6" square.

        I mostly shot without using the moon clips and had no problems at all.

        I wasn't really going for accuracy just getting a feel for it and my grip. Clearly room for improvment on my part

        Last edited by SkyHawk; 02-11-2015, 4:57 PM.
        Click here for my iTrader Feedback thread: https://www.calguns.net/forum/market...r-feedback-100

        Comment

        • #5
          Sikvenum93
          Senior Member
          • Jul 2014
          • 2181

          Originally posted by Sky.Hawk
          I shot the LCR 9 this week. Feels like shooting 38 +P out of a the LCR 38. It was nowhere near 357 snub territory. Did not shoot 9mm +P rounds yet though, but I don't think it will come close to the recoil of a 357 magnum round. I have a SP101 2.25" steel frame 357, and shooting 357 mag from it is no pleasure. I never felt that way about the LCR 9.

          I don't think modern 9mm ammo would have a problem with their crimps and bullets setting back or walking forward. Jeff at Gunblast said he never noticed any bullets walking forward: http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-LCR9mm.htm

          Accuracy was easily minute of man: Keeping the rounds in 8" square from 12 yards standing was no problem even the first time out, and after the first couple of cylinders was keeping them in a 6" square.

          I mostly shot without using the moon clips and had no problems at all.

          I wasn't really going for accuracy just getting a feel for it and my grip. Clearly room for improvment on my part

          Thanks a lot for the info! That sounds painful haha. But to be fair the smiths don't have cushioned baxkstraps. I want the LCR9 since 9mm is way cheaper and easier to find.
          Wise men seldom speak. - Arcus

          Comment

          • #6
            OC_Gunner
            Member
            • May 2012
            • 472

            I actually DROS'd a J frame today at Turners ($399 for a 642!).

            I considered the LCR 9 since I have a few cases of 9mm laying around. At the end of the day it felt lighter which I'm not sure is good for felt recoil and the cylinder release wasn't as easy for me to operate as the smith. Just my personal opinion though.

            When I got back to my office I ordered 250 rounds of 38 special for $60 from freedom munitions. Not that much harder to find or more expensive really. Granted it wasn't carry ammo....

            Comment

            • #7
              ChevySS
              Junior Member
              • Jan 2015
              • 55

              When I first shot my S&W 642 .38, it kinda pinched my trigger finger. However after shooting it more and re-adjusting my hold it was not bad at all. I don't see you shooting hundreds of rounds through it in one range visit, your finger / hand will hurt.

              Comment

              • #8
                Gem1950
                Veteran Member
                • Jun 2008
                • 2876

                Originally posted by Sky.Hawk
                I shot the LCR 9 this week. Feels like shooting 38 +P out of a the LCR 38. It was nowhere near 357 snub territory. Did not shoot 9mm +P rounds yet though, but I don't think it will come close to the recoil of a 357 magnum round. I have a SP101 2.25" steel frame 357, and shooting 357 mag from it is no pleasure. I never felt that way about the LCR 9.

                I don't think modern 9mm ammo would have a problem with their crimps and bullets setting back or walking forward. Jeff at Gunblast said he never noticed any bullets walking forward: http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-LCR9mm.htm

                Accuracy was easily minute of man: Keeping the rounds in 8" square from 12 yards standing was no problem even the first time out, and after the first couple of cylinders was keeping them in a 6" square.

                I mostly shot without using the moon clips and had no problems at all.

                I wasn't really going for accuracy just getting a feel for it and my grip. Clearly room for improvment on my part

                Did not know you could shoot 9mm in a revolver without the moon clips. Does Ruger ok that?
                "To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." Thomas Paine



                "We keep you alive to serve this ship. Row well and live."

                "Is that a desert country?" "No; a fat country; fat people." "You are not fat?" "No. I'm different..."

                Comment

                • #9
                  SkyHawk
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Sep 2012
                  • 23531

                  Originally posted by Gem1950

                  Did not know you could shoot 9mm in a revolver without the moon clips. Does Ruger ok that?

                  YES. Not all rimless cartridge revolvers allow this, but the LCR 9 does. Here is what Ruger says about bullet walking (unrelated to moon clips) and firing without the moon clips, from the insert in the box.



                  Last edited by SkyHawk; 02-11-2015, 9:57 PM.
                  Click here for my iTrader Feedback thread: https://www.calguns.net/forum/market...r-feedback-100

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  UA-8071174-1