Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Home, indoor range?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • small hole shooter
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2013
    • 1183

    Home, indoor range?

    I can shoot 14 yards from the front of my living room to the back of my den.
    I used to shoot from the front of my garage to the back cinder block fence which is 23 yards, however the neighbors complained so I had to move it indoors. I am fortunate in that the indoor range I go to allows air rifles.
  • #2
    crufflers
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Jul 2011
    • 12723

    Indoors is great when everyone is gone as long as a pet doesn't walk happily into the line of fire. It happened to me but I didn't pull the trigger. Crosshair was right on the cat's noggin when she came to see what I was up to. Lock up pets.

    We have family land to shoot 100 yards on but it is 1.5 hour drive. Still I prefer that for sighting in and experimenting rather than going to a public range these days.

    Comment

    • #3
      junior40er
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2013
      • 3315

      Wot m8?
      Visit my Channel "Steel On Target" on YouTube and subscribe. I post gun videos reg regularly.

      Comment

      • #4
        Jel
        Senior Member
        • Mar 2009
        • 1425

        Originally posted by small hole shooter
        I can shoot 14 yards from the front of my living room to the back of my den.
        I used to shoot from the front of my garage to the back cinder block fence which is 23 yards, however the neighbors complained so I had to move it indoors. I am fortunate in that the indoor range I go to allows air rifles.
        Just curious as to why a gun range would NOT allow air rifles?

        Comment

        • #5
          small hole shooter
          Senior Member
          • Mar 2013
          • 1183

          Originally posted by Jel
          Just curious as to why a gun range would NOT allow air rifles?
          Stupid SoCal thing. It's just a little pellet. I have shot at Angeles shooting range with my Big Cat 1200, got a lot of funny looks. Just across the parking lot is a dedicated range for Air Rifles that is free to use, its just 38 miles from my front door.

          Comment

          • #6
            katranch
            Senior Member
            • Nov 2013
            • 1246

            Backyard, and no complaints.
            sigpic
            USS Bristol County LST 1198
            Attack Squadron Seven...Mission-Assault
            Gator Navy
            VFW
            American Legion
            NRA

            Cat herding by appt. only.- The crazy cat man.

            Comment

            • #7
              Jel
              Senior Member
              • Mar 2009
              • 1425

              Speaking of home/indoor ranges, what are you guys doing for BB/Pellet traps?

              I've seen DIY plans online and although some of them did the job of stopping the BB's, they had all this packing material/paper/cardboard/foam/bubblewrap inside and it would be a pain to get the BB's back. For pellets, I understand, just leave em.

              I would like to find plans for a decent trap that allows you to recover the BB's easily to be reused.

              I also seem to remember reading that a lot of city's prohibit the use of BB guns as they classify them as firearms. Do they care if you are indoors?

              Comment

              • #8
                LT1Silverhawk
                Senior Member
                • Nov 2012
                • 2063

                Originally posted by Jel
                Speaking of home/indoor ranges, what are you guys doing for BB/Pellet traps?

                I've seen DIY plans online and although some of them did the job of stopping the BB's, they had all this packing material/paper/cardboard/foam/bubblewrap inside and it would be a pain to get the BB's back. For pellets, I understand, just leave em.

                I would like to find plans for a decent trap that allows you to recover the BB's easily to be reused.
                I do the same thing as the online plans. I just use a magnet to pick up the BBs out of the box as I take out the packing material. A buddy of mine hangs a blanket as a backdrop and says it makes it easier to collect the BBs afterwards.




                Originally posted by Jel
                I also seem to remember reading that a lot of city's prohibit the use of BB guns as they classify them as firearms. Do they care if you are indoors?
                There is a discussion in this thread on the topic of using air guns on your own property: Backyard Plinking - Local Laws Discussion.
                Last edited by LT1Silverhawk; 03-14-2014, 6:10 PM.
                "...but I am still learning." - Jerry Miculek

                "It is critical to understand this: Criminals don't fear guns. Criminals fear resolutely armed men or women they believe will actually shoot them." - Massad Ayoob

                Selling Scopes.

                Comment

                • #9
                  ERdept
                  CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                  CGN Contributor
                  • Apr 2009
                  • 4698

                  Air rifles not allowed becasue they think they're bb guns,which bounce back when hitting steel parts of the target.''''really no reason

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    small hole shooter
                    Senior Member
                    • Mar 2013
                    • 1183

                    I use a cardboard box with layers of carpet/pressboard/junk mail inside with a 3/4 inch board as a outside of the box back stop because I tend to shoot small holes in the same spot and will bore a hole through the layers. I rotate the box and tape the target to the box. Cheap because I use whatever is mailed,
                    leftover carpet samples/whatever boards I have laying around.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      ebencikiv
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2010
                      • 4527

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        colhazard
                        Junior Member
                        • Jan 2012
                        • 59

                        I found this product while searching for "creating backstop for pellet" discussions on the web: Gardner Bender Duct Seal Compound Plugs.

                        http://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-Bender-Duct-Seal-Compound-Plugs-10-Pack-DS-110/100212441?keyword=gardner+duct

                        It looks like a bar of play-doh but does not harden. I found it at the electrical section at Home Depot. Stops a .22 pellet up to 750fps (my chrono on a nitro venom).

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          brassburnz
                          Veteran Member
                          • Nov 2006
                          • 3553

                          I have Crosman pellet trap. I only shoot .177 pellets from a RWS Diana air rifle, Crosman 1377 pistol, Daisy 717 and Daisy 747 pistols. I shoot from my laundry room door into my backyard. Haven't measured the distance, but it's about 60 feet. I have a terraced back yard with a cinderblock wall for a backstop.

                          NRA Life Member
                          CRPA Life Member

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Lead Waster
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Sep 2010
                            • 16650

                            I haven't set it up yet, but I can at most, shoot from the stairway in my "basement" (more like a finished crawlspace) to the back fence, but it's only 12 yards! I haven't even fired my air rifle yet, but it's a Benjamin Marauder (I know, wasted on 12 yards!) that I bought due to it's reputation of being quiet.

                            I bought a bunch of "pugs" of that duct seal, and a 9x13 inch metal baking dish, with the idea of using that as a backstop.
                            ==================

                            sigpic


                            Remember to dial 1 before 911.

                            Forget about stopping power. If you can't hit it, you can't stop it.

                            There. Are. Four. Lights!

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              FreshPrinceofRP
                              Member
                              • Nov 2012
                              • 483

                              I'm glad I live in a neighborhood with a bunch of old people. They wondered why I would even ask if I can shoot a BB gun in my backyard.

                              I haven't measured it but I've got a good 20-25 yards I can shoot in my backyard. And luckily my fence is cinder block up to 4 feet high.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1