Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Noob question

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • hardlyworking
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2013
    • 1210

    Noob question

    I have a question about CCW application:

    From what I understand you are able to list up to 3 handguns on your application.

    However I don't own any handguns.

    But if I wanted to be prepared to CCW, should I decide to purchase or make one, can one apply for a CCW without listing any handguns and then file an amendment to their license once/if said handgun is acquired?
  • #2
    ElDub1950
    Calguns Addict
    • Aug 2012
    • 5688

    In most places your CCW training requires you to qualify with the guns you want on your permit. If you can't complete your training you can't get your LTC.

    Buy a generic gun like a Glock 19 before you start the process. (I call it generic because it's common, lots of people like them, easily sold later if desired, inexpensive to start with, and reasonable to CCW for most people)

    Comment

    • #3
      HighLander51
      Banned
      • Feb 2010
      • 5144

      Originally posted by hardlyworking
      can one apply for a CCW without listing any handguns
      Yes, you can apply, but no, you will not get a permit without qualifying with at least one gun.

      Comment

      • #4
        ArcherDog
        Senior Member
        • Feb 2012
        • 808

        Anyone else think this is kind of backwards? Put your money and energy into getting a pistol and becoming proficient in it before deciding you need a LTC. It's like wanting to get a driver's license without ever being behind the wheel.
        Ian Lindsay
        Tracy, CA

        Comment

        • #5
          marcusrn
          CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
          • Mar 2010
          • 1176

          Yes it's backward and it's kinda silly.

          Forget the $ for CCW. BUy a dillion 550 and you'll save on dies because you have no caliber to shoot. Load up a punch of rounds and then buy a used 4 in .38 and take up bullseye shooting for a year or two.
          sigpic

          Comment

          • #6
            newair
            Member
            • Oct 2012
            • 226

            Originally posted by ArcherDog
            Anyone else think this is kind of backwards? Put your money and energy into getting a pistol and becoming proficient in it before deciding you need a LTC. It's like wanting to get a driver's license without ever being behind the wheel.
            Absolutley scares me to think I am walking in a crowded situation, such as shopping or park, ect ect and that I am walking with people who a carring a weapon. a weapon they don't really understad and aren't proficent with.
            Would love to see people peusue more training.

            Comment

            • #7
              hardlyworking
              Senior Member
              • Jan 2013
              • 1210

              Originally posted by ArcherDog
              Anyone else think this is kind of backwards? Put your money and energy into getting a pistol and becoming proficient in it before deciding you need a LTC. It's like wanting to get a driver's license without ever being behind the wheel.
              OP here:

              Is it backwards? Yes absolutely, and I recognize that which is why the question was asked in the first place.

              Originally posted by newair
              Absolutley scares me to think I am walking in a crowded situation, such as shopping or park, ect ect and that I am walking with people who a carring a weapon. a weapon they don't really understad and aren't proficent with.
              That's it in a nutshell, minus the FUD. I am not currently proficient. What makes you think somebody considering CCW would not want to be proficient? Am I not responsible for every round that leaves the muzzle?

              Does having a CCW somehow require that I carry even if I don't feel comfortable doing so? Having a CCW allows for additional legal protections for transportation.

              If it takes 6 months to go through all of the BG checks, fingerprints, classes, etc. and perhapse another 6 months to get an interview given the current rush of new applicants, wouldn't you want to get the ball rolling ASAP?

              Now, back to the "It's like wanting to get a driver's license without ever being behind the wheel" comment. Not quite. It IS like wanting to start the process of acquiring a driver's license when you A) anticipate it taking 1-year to get one and B) you have a private place to practice and become proficient at driving so that the public is not at risk while you are learning as well as waiting for the application process.
              Last edited by hardlyworking; 02-23-2014, 7:52 AM.

              Comment

              • #8
                dunndeal
                Calguns Addict
                • Sep 2009
                • 5483

                Originally posted by newair
                Absolutley scares me to think I am walking in a crowded situation, such as shopping or park, ect ect and that I am walking with people who a carring a weapon. a weapon they don't really understad and aren't proficent with.
                Would love to see people peusue more training.
                Yes. Because all the gangbangers carrying illegally are so splendidly trained. Why every time I go to the range those with neck and face tattoos are there in big numbers practicing safe gun handling and marksmanship.
                Those that call the US Constitution a living, breathing document only want to asphyxiate liberty.

                M76

                Comment

                • #9
                  ArcherDog
                  Senior Member
                  • Feb 2012
                  • 808

                  Originally posted by dunndeal
                  Yes. Because all the gangbangers carrying illegally are so splendidly trained. Why every time I go to the range those with neck and face tattoos are there in big numbers practicing safe gun handling and marksmanship.
                  Comparing law abiding citizens seeking a CCW to gangbangers is kinda silly don't you think? That's the kind of FUD that Brady Bunch likes to spread and equate us to.

                  And OP, I understand you acknowledge it is premature, but it is this kind of attitude that spreads fear amongst the anti-gunners. "Millions of untrained and uneducated Californians about to become eligible to legally carry guns at all times!!!!". I think, as a group, we should show that we are ready for this responsibility the courts have recognized for us, and we should encourage everyone interested in carrying that they fully immerse themselves in the laws and weapons they will need to utilize. Now is not the time for a bunch of Rambo wannabees to come out of the woodwork and give reason to deny this right again.
                  Ian Lindsay
                  Tracy, CA

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    HighLander51
                    Banned
                    • Feb 2010
                    • 5144

                    Originally posted by hardlyworking


                    What makes you think somebody considering CCW would not want to be proficient? Am I not responsible for every round that leaves the muzzle?
                    Well, you would be pretty much right. Most CCW holders have had very little, or no training at all, and almost never practice. Some only shoot at re-qualification time. The qualification for the permit is neither practice nor training. But don't let that stop you. Sign up for a reputable gun fighting class now and get going. Try to take at least 2-3 training classes a year and practice at least every 2-3 weeks with a hundred rounds doing specific drills that your instructor will point out that you can improve on.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      sigstroker
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Jan 2009
                      • 19890

                      Originally posted by newair
                      Absolutley scares me to think I am walking in a crowded situation, such as shopping or park, ect ect and that I am walking with people who a carring a weapon. a weapon they don't really understad and aren't proficent with.
                      Would love to see people peusue more training.
                      Yes, have you heard about the absolute mayhem going on in Arizona malls and parks? Instant death to walk into one.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        newair
                        Member
                        • Oct 2012
                        • 226

                        Have fun with it. I know what to Expect from bangers and nuts.
                        Its incompetence from aomeonenwhonshould known better that scare a me. Spend a few bucks. Learn what your doing. Its not difficult

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Boblaw
                          Member
                          • Aug 2013
                          • 278

                          I understand everyone is excited about carrying. I do hope that everyone understands that enhanced responsibility and liability that comes with the carrying of a weapon in public. If you do not have leo/military of combat firearms training of some sort, I would suggest you commit yourself to obtaining it after you apply.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          UA-8071174-1