Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

What am I doing wrong?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • CSACANNONEER
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • Dec 2006
    • 44094

    What am I doing wrong?

    Yea, I know. I set myself up for a long list but, I'm talking about carrying my Kimber PRO CDPII in a LH IWB holster. I've been doing the same thing with the same gun and holster for years but, in the last few months, the magazine has started popping out every once in a while. I just can't figure out what I'm doing differently and I'm nervous that I'll go to need it and the mag will be out just enough to not feed the next round. BTW, I'm carrying on private property that is known to have bobcat, linx, lion, etc. and we're having issues with one chicken loving bobcat right now. So, hopefully I will need to use it on the kitty (yes, I have a hunting license, bobcat tag and lead free ammo approved for hunting condors) in the near future. Three lions were tracked (by a federal biologist) crossing the property about a week ago. So, there is always a chance that I might have to scare them away if they start bothering our animals and, I'd hate to have to take the time to tap and rack if I don't have to. Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions on how I can stop from what appears to be depressing the mag release while concealed carrying?
    NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
    Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
    Utah CCW Instructor


    Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

    sigpic
    CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

    KM6WLV
  • #2
    Fate
    Calguns Addict
    • Apr 2006
    • 9545

    You do say same gun, same holster, nothing changed except this malfunction, right?

    Similar problems have been reported with some M&Ps. Works fine for long time then it's dropping mags. Turned out to be a mag release button issue.

    Could be a worn mag catch that is overly sensitive now to the slightest touch.
    sigpic "On bended knee is no way to be free." - Eddie Vedder, "Guaranteed"

    "Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." -Thomas Jefferson
    , in a letter to his nephew Peter Carr dated August 19, 1785

    Comment

    • #3
      RP1911
      Calguns Addict
      • Sep 2007
      • 5198

      1) Do you have an oversized mag release?

      2) Is the holster to gun fit loose? As in holster top edge pressing on mag release.

      3) Are you bending in a certain way where the belt (if you are using one) is pressing on the mag release?
      RP1911
      -----------
      NRA Life
      CGN

      Comment

      • #4
        Shasta Frog
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2012
        • 740

        Can you pull the gun out of the holster like you always have and look down at it and maybe see what you are doing wrong?

        Comment

        • #5
          Supertac916
          Senior Member
          • Feb 2012
          • 2423

          Check the mag release because you may need to replace it. My Dad's Kimber Ultra Carry's mag release literally fell off the gun in the middle of a class. Also, check your grip because since you're LH'd you might be putting additional pressure on your middle finger causing the mag release to be depressed.

          Comment

          • #6
            jaymz
            CGSSA Associate
            • Oct 2006
            • 6298

            Weak mag catch spring? Worn mag? Gained/lost weight?
            War is when your Government tells you who the enemy is......

            Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself.

            Comment

            • #7
              ChrisC
              Senior Member
              • Jan 2013
              • 2469

              Did you gain any weight which might be pushing harder against the holster then normal?

              Comment

              • #8
                Shasta Frog
                Senior Member
                • Nov 2012
                • 740

                Originally posted by ChrisC
                Did you gain any weight which might be pushing harder against the holster then normal?
                Actually I was thinking the same thing. Gaining weight does change things a bit. Trust me I know

                I have a leather/ Kydex holster (like Crossbreed) that pushed pretty hard on the mag release. I just took a knife and trimmed around the mag release.

                Comment

                • #9
                  CSACANNONEER
                  CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                  CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                  • Dec 2006
                  • 44094

                  Originally posted by jaymz
                  Weak mag catch spring? Worn mag? Gained/lost weight?
                  Yea, the one detail which I intentionally left out was that I've gained +20lbs. While I sorta thought that the weight gain might have something to do with my problem, I hadn't heard of it happening before and didn't want to bias anyone's opinion. While the gun has had about 30K rounds through it, it went back to Kimber for a broken hammer a few years ago and hasn't been shot much since. They completely went through the gun and replaced everything that needed replacing (including the night sites) free of charge.

                  BTW, we lost another chicken to the bobcat last night. It had the audacity to sit in one of the pens and eat the damn thing right there. Well, off to check the game cams to see if I can better establish his routine.
                  Last edited by CSACANNONEER; 02-07-2014, 5:16 PM.
                  NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
                  California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
                  Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
                  Utah CCW Instructor


                  Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

                  sigpic
                  CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

                  KM6WLV

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    taperxz
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Feb 2010
                    • 19395

                    I carry the same pistol on my ccw. No problems yet with my Kimber but my Kahr has the same problem. Talked with Kahr and they sent me a new mag release spring. No more problems.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    UA-8071174-1