Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Going OWB during winter time

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • madstyle1
    Senior Member
    • Aug 2012
    • 927

    Going OWB during winter time

    With fall and winter coming up thinking going owb. Is this a common thing? Any of you guys doing the same thing or have done the same concept?
  • #2
    spetsnaz
    Senior Member
    • Oct 2010
    • 1502

    For now still leaning towards iwb but it might change if i can find a good quality owb holster. Maybe something even custom

    Comment

    • #3
      SilverTauron
      Calguns Addict
      • Jan 2012
      • 5699

      No.

      Far be it for me to criticise what works for another,but my experience carrying during winter months goes against that idea.

      See,the thing about wintertime is that you're only wearing the coat and accessories for OUTDOORS movement.Once you're inside a building,the coats and hats come off.Yet you still have a pistol to hide.

      IWB is still necessary even when the wind chill spikes.So ,how do you retain acess to the gun ?Wear comfortable,warm,but LOOSE outerwear-but carry IWB.No stiff leather jackets need apply.Think more like easy to shift North Face coats.The idea is that if you have to clear holster you can grab your coat and outer shirt with the same movement.All it takes is careful selection of coats and some dry fire practice.
      The more prohibitions you have, the less virtuous people will be.
      The more subsidies you have, the less self reliant people will be.
      -Lao-Tzu, Tau Te Ching. 479 BCE

      The 1911 may have been in wars for 100 years, but Masetro Bartolomeo Beretta was arming the world 400 years before John Browning was ever a wet dream.

      Comment

      • #4
        jlbflyboy172
        Senior Member
        • Feb 2007
        • 625

        I have been having problems with my IWB holsters hitting me right in the sciatica and decided to try going to OWB. I bought a Galco Matrix OWB holster

        Galco Holsters: Leather Gun Holsters, Belts, Slings & More.


        and it seems to be working great even in summer time and the problem with being poked in the wrong place is gone. I tried several IWB holsters and I like them very much but they all just seem to hit me in the wrong spot in terms of where the gun is comfortable for me.

        So the new Matrix is working pretty well. With the IWB holsters I could get by with a T-Shirt but even though the Matrix rides fairly high (which helps and it has a good cant) I find that it is better with a little longer shirt so I mostly wear Hawaiian style shirts and it seems to do just fine. I do however find myself being a little more extra careful to make sure I am not showing the tip of the barrel showing below my shirt when I sit down. And that may have more to do with it being new. Other than that I am really liking it. I like leather holsters for IWB and they are not as fast and smooth to draw from as this little guy is and reholstering is super easy. And I also find that the same holster works for my two different Glocks so that is nice too. I have the holster on and can grab either one.

        Comment

        • #5
          JohnCCW
          Senior Member
          • Jan 2013
          • 1307

          IWB- small of the back, is easier to conceal when you remove your coat when sitting- i.e. eating at a restaurant.
          Shoulder holster carry is tricky, you need to remove it in the men's room, and return to the table with it wrapped in your coat.
          sigpicDon't ask how many guns I own, I lost count.
          Rick Perry, Ted Cruz Trump for President 2016, because Hillary is NOT an option.

          Comment

          • #6
            Synergy
            I need a LIFE!!
            • May 2008
            • 14303

            I hear fanny packs are making a come back!




            Another option would be a Maxpedition pack.

            sigpic

            Comment

            • #7
              madstyle1
              Senior Member
              • Aug 2012
              • 927

              Im using the bravo concealment now for my g19 and doing appendix carry. Sitting down can be uncomfortable i find my self adjusting all the time. I really like holster but sitting down for a long period of time can be challenging

              Comment

              • #8
                mag360
                Calguns Addict
                • Jun 2009
                • 5198

                Just get a smaller gun madstyle1. Think kahr p9 or cw9...trying to appendix a g19 is silly. I do a g26 appendix and even that prints when the wind blows my shirt against my body I don't think its noticeable by anyone but me but I'm still concious of it.
                just happy to be here. I like talking about better ways to protect ourselves.

                Shop at AMAZON to help Calguns Foundation

                CRPA Life Member. Click here to Join.

                NRA Member JOIN HERE/

                Comment

                • #9
                  ParanoidCivilian
                  Senior Member
                  • Jul 2011
                  • 1355

                  Originally posted by madstyle1
                  With fall and winter coming up thinking going owb. Is this a common thing? Any of you guys doing the same thing or have done the same concept?
                  OWB all year.
                  You know where you are? You're in the jungle baby.... You're gonna.............................................

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    diveRN
                    Senior Member
                    • Dec 2012
                    • 1743

                    Originally posted by ParanoidCivilian
                    OWB all year.
                    ^^^^^ This. I don't own an IWB for either of my carry guns.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Synergy
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • May 2008
                      • 14303

                      Originally posted by diveRN
                      ^^^^^ This. I don't own an IWB for either of my carry guns.
                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        diveRN
                        Senior Member
                        • Dec 2012
                        • 1743

                        It gets over a 100 here too. I wear shorts all the time and often, a t-shirt without an overshirt. I carry either appendix or 4:30 depending on the gun and what I'm wearing. Other times I wear an untucked button down, open in front with a light weight cotton tee under it... Always 4:30 while wearing this.

                        At 6'3", the trick to a tee with no overshirt for me is to get them in "tall" sizes. The only time I have to be cautious is when I'm reaching over my head for something.

                        Edit: Just got a two of these in the mail. They work well.
                        Last edited by diveRN; 09-03-2013, 3:34 PM.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Supertac916
                          Senior Member
                          • Feb 2012
                          • 2423

                          I usually switch to my OWB holsters during the winter. Just depends on the clothing I'm wearing. I'll usually wear a untucked button up shirt under my jacket. If I need to take the jacket off, I pull the shirt over the gun.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Shenaniguns
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Dec 2006
                            • 6158

                            I just wear IWB 99% of the time and do occasionally wear a Versipack like above when we're on walks and I'm in gym shorts or sweats.
                            My opinions are my own and do not represent the position of other companies I may be involved with.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              44fred
                              Senior Member
                              • Sep 2011
                              • 2399

                              Heat in my area is a challenge as well. The only thing that works really well is a good quality IWB holster. Not all are created equal. I did plenty of research and found Cleveland Holsters to be top notch in several categories. Fully adjustable, leather only is touching your skin, no hot spots poking you, kydex covers entire barrel, screw down system can be adjustable once the leather begins to give etc etc etc.
                              Please give them a look. 100% made in the USA with 100% of the parts coming from here as well.
                              "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

                              "My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."

                              "No freeman shall be debarred the use of arms"
                              -- Thomas Jefferson

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1