Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Why are extendable batons illegal?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • steelcore
    Member
    • Nov 2010
    • 347

    Why are extendable batons illegal?

    I don't feel the need to carry a handgun, but sometimes a little somethin' extra would be nice when Google Maps doesn't tell you that you're entering the ghetto.

    Just wondering why "spring batons" (extendable, collapsible, etc) are illegal in California. Of course it has to do with concealment, but is that the sole reason?
    Fidelis?.....Semper
  • #2
    bohoki
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Jan 2006
    • 20826

    because the powers that be have allowed broad interpretation to what a billy club is

    Comment

    • #3
      steelcore
      Member
      • Nov 2010
      • 347

      So more or less "because it's in the laws".

      Guess I'll have to keep an eye for any large branches in my path
      Fidelis?.....Semper

      Comment

      • #4
        lorax3
        Super Moderator
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • Jan 2009
        • 4633

        Originally posted by steelcore
        So more or less "because it's in the laws".
        Yup. Carry a folding knife at a minimum, as long as your local laws do not prohibit it.
        You think you know, but you have no idea.

        The information posted here is not legal advice. If you seek legal advice hire an attorney who is familiar with all the facts of your case.

        Comment

        • #5
          glockman19
          Banned
          • Jun 2007
          • 10486

          Originally posted by lorax3
          Yup. Carry a folding knife at a minimum, as long as your local laws do not prohibit it.
          And yet this too can get you nto trouble. The city of Los Angeles defines a switchblade as any knife that can be flicked open with the wrist or gravity making just about any knife shy of a buck style illegal....then if you ever need to use it so not hold it while angry, rude or threatening anyone...it is brandishing. CA has a way of making every self defense item illegal.

          Last year Assemblyman Michael Feur attempted to pass legislation that would make even non-lethal self defense mase and pepper spray a misdemenor on college campuses. YES...he wanted to make NON-LETHAL means of self defense a crime.

          Comment

          • #6
            Jack L
            CGN/CGSSA Contributor
            CGN Contributor
            • Oct 2010
            • 1721

            Carry a Taser (powerful one) spray and a knife. You do not always need a handgun but you may need an alternative to lethal force.

            Comment

            • #7
              androu
              Junior Member
              • Sep 2009
              • 59

              It sucks that the collapsable batons are illegal in CA as they are very convenient to carry, but here's an alternative: An ordinary walking stick or cane be a very effective self defense tool. It's easy to learn to use effectively and you don't need to be a martial arts expert or athletic or agile. A cane is acceptable just about everywhere, largely due to the Americans With Disabilities Act, and with a little practice you can very effectively defend yourself with an ordinary wooden cane like your grandpa uses. I carry a pistol when I can, but I work on a military base so can't carry any kind of "weapon" on my daily commute to/from the base. I always keep a cane in my car and take it with me on foot if I don't have a gun. You can search the web for any number of websites dealing with cane defense systems and training, and many instructors teach classes, often at senior centers.
              "Arms in the hands of citizens may be used at individual discretion...in private self-defense..."

              -John Adams, 1788, A Defense of the Constitution of the Government of the USA, p.471

              Comment

              • #8
                steelcore
                Member
                • Nov 2010
                • 347

                I used to carry a 3" folder all the time, which is allowed in my county. I just like the idea of a stick that triples in length with the flick of a wrist. Canes aren't typical of a 27 y/o male, but I've had classes in the past, and know it can be a VERY useful defensive tool.
                Fidelis?.....Semper

                Comment

                • #9
                  ElvenSoul
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Apr 2008
                  • 17431

                  Not sure if Sjamboks are still legal in Cali...used to carry one under my belt in the pant loops.
                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    SickofSoCal
                    Calguns Addict
                    • May 2009
                    • 7634

                    blowguns are illegal in Commiefornia as well.
                    "If men were angels, no government would be necessary." - James Madison, Federalist No. 51 (1787)

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Jack L
                      CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                      CGN Contributor
                      • Oct 2010
                      • 1721

                      Buy a used aluminum or wood baseball bat. Throw an old baseball glove you buy at a garage sale in the back or trunk to make it look like you play ball. The old baseball bat can really come to life in the right hands that are willing. One might say it's tradition.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        ElvenSoul
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Apr 2008
                        • 17431

                        2nd the baseball thing!
                        sigpic

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          TKM
                          Onward through the fog!
                          CGN Contributor
                          • Jul 2002
                          • 10657

                          You'll knock your eye out kid.
                          It's not PTSD, it's nostalgia.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            nick
                            CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                            CGN Contributor
                            • Aug 2008
                            • 19152

                            To the best of my knowledge, no good cause for banning it was ever demonstrated. Then again, that goes for most, if not all, of our weapons laws.
                            DiaHero Foundation - helping people manage diabetes. Sending diabetes supplies to Ukraine now, any help is appreciated.

                            DDR AK furniture and Norinco M14 parts kit: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1756292
                            sigpic

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              steelcore
                              Member
                              • Nov 2010
                              • 347

                              Funny thing, I knew about the baseball thing since I was a teenager because a friend had a baseball glove to go with his bat in the trunk. It was, according to him, for emergency baseball games.

                              What I am looking for is something that can be carried on the person to extend reach, but it seems it just isn't possible unless it's something easily visible. Maybe I'll go back to carrying a 3" folder.
                              Fidelis?.....Semper

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1