Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Good Cause Statement

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • sport.pilot
    Junior Member
    • Nov 2010
    • 77

    Good Cause Statement

    Hello,

    I have my first CCW application process interview (Sacramento, CA) at the end of Feb. 2011. I am a retired DOJ employee, no record, married, no drug or alcohol isues, etc. My question is are there any sources/examples as to how to write a successful good cause statement that I must present to the interviewing officer. I have been told by some that just a simple statement that declares I need it for personal and the protection of my family is enough under the new Sheriff, but I am uncertain as to if this is sufficient. Can anybody help me here? Are there succesful statements available to view or guides for putting one together. I travel a lot to remote areas of the state for my hobbies (prospecting and metal detecting), and I am often in areas where there are no law enforcement personnel around for my protection. Anyway, any help/suggestions or examples of succesful statements would be appreciated.

    Darryl
  • #2
    Horace Hogsnort
    Junior Member
    • Dec 2010
    • 12

    "I have been told by some that just a simple statement that declares I need it for personal and the protection of my family is enough under the new Sheriff."

    If that is not enough to get it done then move to a friendlier county!

    Comment

    • #3
      wildhawker
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Nov 2008
      • 14150

      Please state ONLY:

      "I wish to carry a firearm for self defense and the defense of my family"; or,

      "I wish to carry a firearm for self defense".

      Originally posted by sport.pilot
      Hello,

      I have my first CCW application process interview (Sacramento, CA) at the end of Feb. 2011. I am a retired DOJ employee, no record, married, no drug or alcohol isues, etc. My question is are there any sources/examples as to how to write a successful good cause statement that I must present to the interviewing officer. I have been told by some that just a simple statement that declares I need it for personal and the protection of my family is enough under the new Sheriff, but I am uncertain as to if this is sufficient. Can anybody help me here? Are there succesful statements available to view or guides for putting one together. I travel a lot to remote areas of the state for my hobbies (prospecting and metal detecting), and I am often in areas where there are no law enforcement personnel around for my protection. Anyway, any help/suggestions or examples of succesful statements would be appreciated.

      Darryl
      Brandon Combs

      I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

      My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.

      Comment

      • #4
        hoffmang
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Apr 2006
        • 18448

        Originally posted by wildhawker
        Please state ONLY:

        "I wish to carry a firearm for self defense and the defense of my family"; or,

        "I wish to carry a firearm for self defense".
        And yes, it really is that simple.

        -Gene
        Gene Hoffman
        Chairman, California Gun Rights Foundation

        DONATE NOW
        to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @cgfgunrights on Twitter.
        Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
        I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!


        "The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon

        Comment

        • #5
          Keith(CA)
          Junior Member
          • Sep 2009
          • 61

          Darryl,

          If you're applying in Sac county, leave all your personal history and hobbies out of it. You no longer have to explain why you're at risk.

          I am not an at-risk individual, just a squeaky clean private citizen wanting to take responsibility for my own personal self-defense, and the defense of my family.

          Originally posted by wildhawker
          Please state ONLY:

          "I wish to carry a firearm for self defense and the defense of my family"; or,

          "I wish to carry a firearm for self defense".
          I turned in my application in Sacramento county early October, so my good cause statement was the first one. I typed it up as a formal letter with date, address, Dear Sheriff, sincerely, signature and what-not. But the good cause itself was the one simple sentence. I admit that I felt a little awkward turning it in, but no one I saw smirked or laughed or said "here's another one". Everyone at the SSD was pleasant and professional.

          After a few more hoops (class, fingerprinting, etc.), my permit arrived in the mail just over one week ago. Self defense really does work as good cause in Sacramento county.

          Comment

          • #6
            hoffmang
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Apr 2006
            • 18448

            Also, sticking with the simple good cause statement keeps you from inadvertently disclosing threats in public records.

            -Gene
            Gene Hoffman
            Chairman, California Gun Rights Foundation

            DONATE NOW
            to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @cgfgunrights on Twitter.
            Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
            I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!


            "The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon

            Comment

            • #7
              Casual_Shooter
              Ban Hammer Avoidance Team
              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
              • Sep 2006
              • 11741

              Originally posted by hoffmang
              And yes, it really is that simple.

              -Gene
              Can't wait for San Diego to be this simple.....
              Guns, dogs and home alarms. Opponents are all of a sudden advocates once their personal space is violated.

              "Those who cannot remember the posts are condemned to repeat them"



              Why is it all the funny stuff happens to comedians?

              Comment

              • #8
                Hot Brass
                Member
                • Apr 2007
                • 423

                I would like to have the ability to defend my family and property.

                Comment

                • #9
                  sport.pilot
                  Junior Member
                  • Nov 2010
                  • 77

                  Exccellent! Thank you all for your responses and suggestions. I will go with the simple statement and post the results. Everyone have a safe and great new year!

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    707electrician
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2010
                    • 2889

                    I wish Sonoma county was this easy because I don't want to have to move to sacramento
                    Brian Kelly

                    PM me for electrical work

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      CSDGuy
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2007
                      • 3763

                      Originally posted by Keith(CA)
                      Darryl,

                      If you're applying in Sac county, leave all your personal history and hobbies out of it. You no longer have to explain why you're at risk.

                      I am not an at-risk individual, just a squeaky clean private citizen wanting to take responsibility for my own personal self-defense, and the defense of my family.



                      I turned in my application in Sacramento county early October, so my good cause statement was the first one. I typed it up as a formal letter with date, address, Dear Sheriff, sincerely, signature and what-not. But the good cause itself was the one simple sentence. I admit that I felt a little awkward turning it in, but no one I saw smirked or laughed or said "here's another one". Everyone at the SSD was pleasant and professional.

                      After a few more hoops (class, fingerprinting, etc.), my permit arrived in the mail just over one week ago. Self defense really does work as good cause in Sacramento county.
                      My good cause was also "that simple" and was one of those two statements. I received my CCW just a few days ago. There are lots more who also got theirs over the past few months with those GC statements. sport.pilot, as long as your background is a non-issue, you'll be fine. Have a great New Year's!

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Meeep
                        Junior Member
                        • Jul 2008
                        • 34

                        My renewal statement in San Bernardino was two words.
                        Self defense
                        Works for me.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          vintagearms
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Jan 2009
                          • 6841

                          Originally posted by Casual_Shooter
                          Can't wait for San Diego to be this simple.....
                          or Ventura County.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            moooboy
                            Member
                            • Sep 2010
                            • 320

                            I showed the interviewer a picture of a 6 foot rattlesnake my daughter was holding that i just blew its head off right next to our house. I told him we often go on hiking trips in the mountains and run across rattlesnakes. I also told him the rural area we live i wasn't confident law enforcement could respond in time if something happened.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            UA-8071174-1