Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

First LE Encounter while Carrying CCW...

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • groovielou
    Senior Member
    • Oct 2008
    • 555

    First LE Encounter while Carrying CCW...

    Its been HOT! So we are doing most of the moving into our new home at night. I was in the City of La Verne on Arrow Highway, when I was spotted by one of La Vernes Finest.

    He tailed me for more than a mile, then finally stopped me S/B on Fairplex close to the Pomona city line.

    I was alone, so I rolled all the windows down and waited for his approach. As he approached the drivers side, he asked why I was in a rush. I replied, I was not. He then asked for my license and registration. At this point, I advised him that I was carrying and I had a valid CCW. He then appeared a bit flustered, but again said, "go ahead and get your license for me". Sensing his nervousness, I explained what I was going to do. "Officer, I am going to release my left hand from the steering wheel, reach in my rear left pocket and get my wallet, is that okay?". He asked where my firearm was, I replied, on my person at 5o' clock. He then said...."Don't pull your gun, or I'll pull mine faster!"

    I'm sorry, but that warranted a chuckle...

    So I provided my CCW and License. After perusing it for a minute or so, he asked how difficult it was to get. I explained an abridged version of the San Bernardino county process, and he seemed rather relaxed at that point.

    At this point, he handed my CCW and License back to me, and said, "slow down!, and have a nice day" in the typical authoritative tone so many Police have and I drove off.

    Overall, he was very Professional and it was as pleasant as it could be.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    sigpic
  • #2
    socalblue
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2010
    • 811

    Congratulation on successfully completing your very first LEO/CCW training session!

    Grade: B+

    Summary: Well handled (Nice & safe, no drama). Good job engaging the officer & providing an opportunity to better understand our 2A rights in general & CCW in particular.

    Improvement: Ensure you always bring up this web site CGF as knowledge references.

    Extra credit: Engage officer in more detailed discussion.

    Comment

    • #3
      tiko
      Senior Member
      • Jan 2008
      • 866

      Very good incident to hear and learn about, thanks.
      Do it yourself.

      Comment

      • #4
        groovielou
        Senior Member
        • Oct 2008
        • 555

        Wow, didn't realize I was being graded. Next time ill study....lol
        NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
        sigpic

        Comment

        • #5
          Raymond
          Junior Member
          • Jun 2010
          • 27

          I had a pleasant CCW encounter with an LEO as well.

          December last year in Washington state, I was fishing with my two buddies then two LEOs approached us to casually inspect if we were intoxicated and have some drugs. Well... they quicky found out that we are a tourist in the area and overdosed with caffeine (coffee in a huge mug) and began chatting with us. During our conversation, I told the LEOs that I have a UTAH and FL CCWs and currently packed. One of the officer nicely asked where my firearm is then, that I carefully reach for my CCW and to keep my arms crossed on chest level.

          Right after they saw my license, one LEO made a comment that the people with CCWs are law abiding and good citizens! One of the LEO apologized for disturbing our activity and even walked us to a hot spot to fish. And yes, we caught 4 fishies from that spot in 20 minutes :-)

          In my opinion, I think the LEO appreciates the gesture of being informed... at least based from my first experience.

          Funny! It just dawned me that the LEO even made a comment on my FL CCW being signed by Charles Bronson. He said that he will get a FL-CCW right away since Charles is his all time favorite actor.
          Last edited by Raymond; 07-15-2010, 10:28 PM.

          Comment

          • #6
            lehn20
            Senior Member
            • Mar 2008
            • 2355

            Why would you advise him that you are carrying?
            You dont have to in CA. I have had many encounters over the last 7 years (because of my job) and not once have I said anything about my CCW and not once have they asked me.
            And when was the last time you had to exit your car for a paddown during a rutine traffic stop.
            Saying you are CCWing will just waste your time sitting roadside while LEO runs your ccw and gun etc.

            Comment

            • #7
              Billy Jack
              Senior Member
              • Oct 2007
              • 685

              Originally posted by lehn20
              Why would you advise him that you are carrying?
              You dont have to in CA. I have had many encounters over the last 7 years (because of my job) and not once have I said anything about my CCW and not once have they asked me.
              And when was the last time you had to exit your car for a paddown during a rutine traffic stop.
              Saying you are CCWing will just waste your time sitting roadside while LEO runs your ccw and gun etc.
              Billy Jack concur with lehn20. Over 17 years CCW, I have had numerous contacts with LEO while working. It has never come up. I identify myself by name and profession and former LEO affiliation.

              As LEO, only encounter CCW holder perhaps twice. Both could not wait to tell us they had a CCW. They felt it made them 'one of the boys'. They were not dressed as BG or bangers so partner and I could not understand why they were so eager to tell us. As per training, we always advised subjects to keep hands away from their bodies. As long as they complied we were happy. We were also trained to watch the waistband area for patterning. If it makes holders happy to continue sharing about CCW, that is their perogative. When we got back in our patrol car we would look at each other and say 'what a goof'.

              Once again, concealed means concealed! Perhaps this Brave is getting old but have a real problem with this fascination to share about CCW. You are required to present your driver license, registration and proof of insurance when stopped by LEO for traffic offense. He is watching your hands and body movements. Keep it real people and all will go well.

              Billy Jack
              'The Force is strong with this one'


              Comment

              • #8
                groovielou
                Senior Member
                • Oct 2008
                • 555

                Thanks for the replies guys. While in CCW class in San Bernardino we were told what to do when we are involved with the police in an official capacity. Now, I'm aware its not a state requirement, but I will do as I'm told. Personally, I dont care what the police think of me as long as they do their job properly. There is no way I will take a chance of loosing my permit. As for now, this permit is a privilage not a right, and I treat it as such.
                NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
                sigpic

                Comment

                • #9
                  halo6941
                  Member
                  • May 2010
                  • 121

                  I only wish I could get a CCW permitt
                  Wenn alles andere scheitert Schnappen Sie sich Ihre treuen 45

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    greasemonkey
                    Banned
                    • Jan 2009
                    • 2474

                    What did they instruct you to do in an official encounter when you were in S.B.'s class?

                    Originally posted by groovielou
                    Thanks for the replies guys. While in CCW class in San Bernardino we were told what to do when we are involved with the police in an official capacity. Now, I'm aware its not a state requirement, but I will do as I'm told. Personally, I dont care what the police think of me as long as they do their job properly. There is no way I will take a chance of loosing my permit. As for now, this permit is a privilage not a right, and I treat it as such.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      groovielou
                      Senior Member
                      • Oct 2008
                      • 555

                      Officer Park, our instructor for the class, said we needed to notify the officer that we were carrying. Not a state requirement, but that's what they wanted us to do. At least that's what I took from the class.
                      NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        kemasa
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Jun 2005
                        • 10706

                        Which do you think will go better?

                        a) Informing the officer that you have a CCW and a firearm to make the officer aware and perhaps more comfortable.

                        b) The officer notices the firearm and does not know what you have a CCW and does not know if you are a threat to their safety.

                        I have heard that some departments require that CCW holder to inform the officer that they have a CCW and a firearm, so failure to do that could cause a problem and revoking of the CCW.

                        The bottom line is what is the harm and what is the risk involved in informing or not and that ends up being better to inform the officer.
                        Kemasa.
                        False signature edited by Paul: Banned from the FFL forum due to being rude and insulting. Doing this continues his abuse.

                        Don't tell someone to read the rules he wrote or tell him that he is wrong.

                        Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Desert Dude
                          Member
                          • Feb 2010
                          • 112

                          I've been reading many of these, "When to tell the LEO you are CCW" posts and I'm yet to be put in the position of having to. I say having to because the Sheriff of Kern County tells us we must. I do not have a problem with that. However, after finding out that in Cali you do not have to I asked the Sheriff why he put that requirement on his permits. He simply stated he did not want any mistakes or misunderstandings between LEO's and his permit holders.

                          To take the OP's story just bit further................

                          The officer approached his drivers side. The driver did not see the other LEO approach the passenger side. The driver does not inform the LEO of the CCW, reaches for his wallet on his left side and exposes the holstered weapon at his 5'oclock to the other LEO. Other LEO yells, "GUN!" and now you know the rest of the story.

                          As far as I'm concerned I'm glad Sheriff Youngblood puts this restriction on his permits. I would much rather spend a short time while LEO checks things out than to be proned out on the roadway while they figure it out.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            ASI870
                            Junior Member
                            • Jul 2010
                            • 4

                            La Verne is Not CCW friendly

                            Originally posted by groovielou
                            Its been HOT! So we are doing most of the moving into our new home at night. I was in the City of La Verne on Arrow Highway, when I was spotted by one of La Vernes Finest.

                            He tailed me for more than a mile, then finally stopped me S/B on Fairplex close to the Pomona city line.

                            I was alone, so I rolled all the windows down and waited for his approach. As he approached the drivers side, he asked why I was in a rush. I replied, I was not. He then asked for my license and registration. At this point, I advised him that I was carrying and I had a valid CCW. He then appeared a bit flustered, but again said, "go ahead and get your license for me". Sensing his nervousness, I explained what I was going to do. "Officer, I am going to release my left hand from the steering wheel, reach in my rear left pocket and get my wallet, is that okay?". He asked where my firearm was, I replied, on my person at 5o' clock. He then said...."Don't pull your gun, or I'll pull mine faster!"

                            I'm sorry, but that warranted a chuckle...

                            So I provided my CCW and License. After perusing it for a minute or so, he asked how difficult it was to get. I explained an abridged version of the San Bernardino county process, and he seemed rather relaxed at that point.

                            At this point, he handed my CCW and License back to me, and said, "slow down!, and have a nice day" in the typical authoritative tone so many Police have and I drove off.

                            Overall, he was very Professional and it was as pleasant as it could be.
                            I hope you are not moving to La Verne, because it's in LA County not SB County and they won't issue a CCW.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Billy Jack
                              Senior Member
                              • Oct 2007
                              • 685

                              Originally posted by Desert Dude
                              I've been reading many of these, "When to tell the LEO you are CCW" posts and I'm yet to be put in the position of having to. I say having to because the Sheriff of Kern County tells us we must. I do not have a problem with that. However, after finding out that in Cali you do not have to I asked the Sheriff why he put that requirement on his permits. He simply stated he did not want any mistakes or misunderstandings between LEO's and his permit holders.

                              To take the OP's story just bit further................

                              The officer approached his drivers side. The driver did not see the other LEO approach the passenger side. The driver does not inform the LEO of the CCW, reaches for his wallet on his left side and exposes the holstered weapon at his 5'oclock to the other LEO. Other LEO yells, "GUN!" and now you know the rest of the story.

                              As far as I'm concerned I'm glad Sheriff Youngblood puts this restriction on his permits. I would much rather spend a short time while LEO checks things out than to be proned out on the roadway while they figure it out.
                              If the issuing department requires it, of course you follow policy. If not, concealed means concealed. In states that are Shall Issue or Arizona, soon to be no permit, is everyone going to 'share' every time you have LEO contact? I have not had vehicle generated LEO contact in well over 30 years. If you have your weapon concealed it does not matter if you are stopped by a SWAT team. This is a 'guy' thing. I have never heard a female CCW person make an issue or post on it. The truth be told, this is like showing your Johnson to strangers. Some can hardly wait. Why not go to a do nut shop or The Hat and share with several patrol units that you are CCW. Hey, it might be the most amusing thing they hear all day.

                              Let me make it real simple. Follow traffic laws and this scenario will never come up.

                              Billy Jack
                              'The Force is strong with this one'


                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1