Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

General Question about Application for CCW

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • JWil
    Member
    • Nov 2020
    • 340

    General Question about Application for CCW

    Do I need to take classes before or after applying? There is no reason I would be denied for a permit, however, I have no faith in the Cal Doj system though I am in a red county, but I just want to be sure that I am not going to spend a bunch of money on a class, and then because kommie majik get denied.
    Last edited by JWil; 03-09-2021, 10:08 AM.
  • #2
    CaliTrav
    Member
    • Aug 2018
    • 339

    Do not take the class until you have your approval. Also if you are in a red county good luck. Most my life was in a red county and pretty much zero CCW issued. Moved out of the county to a green county and the process went like it should.

    As far as the guns on your CCW, they must be registered to you and you can only carry the firearms that are listed on your CCW and that you qualified with.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

    Comment

    • #3
      JWil
      Member
      • Nov 2020
      • 340

      AH okay, I had thought so. I'm in Lassen, I don't know if I've met anyone with a CCW to be honest here. Of course 1.5 hours away in Reno NV and walking around I can see like, 3 people in day of shopping open carrying or carrying some mags on their belt lol.

      Comment

      • #4
        9Cal_OC
        Calguns Addict
        • Apr 2019
        • 6703

        Lassen is a ‘Light Green’ county in terms of issuance.

        Here’s a thread about the details pertaining to that county: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...ghlight=Lassen

        From the website,
        Sheriff-Coroner Dean Growdon supports the right of law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms. In this regard, all qualified residents of Lassen County are eligible to apply for a carry permit (CCW).
        The sheriff is Pro-2A.

        For the firearm, it can be passed down to you if it’s your parents or grandparents gifting it to you. They can submit the form online but it will take time for it to be registered in your name.
        Last edited by 9Cal_OC; 03-08-2021, 9:49 PM.
        Freedom isn't free...

        sigpic

        iTrader

        Comment

        • #5
          JWil
          Member
          • Nov 2020
          • 340

          Oh, I had meant red in terms of political spectrum. I didnt know about the color grade for 2A stuffs.

          Comment

          • #6
            Quiet
            retired Goon
            • Mar 2007
            • 30242

            Originally posted by JWil
            One more, there is a J frame model 36 in my family, bought eons ago (well, probably like 2 decades ago in Nevada before my family moved to CA), would I have to send in some paperwork to register it if I want to carry it and have it on my CCW or if it is handed down to me, can I just carry it and be within the CA legal limit for exercising my constitutional right? I do have a 442, but would like to have another on my license in case something happens to my 442.
            Since 01-01-1998, new residents of CA were required to register any handguns they brought with them to CA.

            Since 01-01-1991, transfers of firearms between non-FFL CA residents must be done through a CA FFL dealer.

            Since 01-01-1992, transfers of firearms between immediate family members (grandparent - parent - child -grandchild), that are CA residents, are exempt from needing to be done through a CA FFL dealer, as long as the recipient registers handguns that are transferred in this manner.

            Since 01-01-2014, new residents of CA are required to register all firearms they bring with them to CA and the reporting requirement for transfers between immedidate family members applies to all firearms.

            Therefore...

            When your family moved to CA 2 decades ago, they should have reported the handgun with CA DOJ.

            When you were given the handgun by your immediate family member (grandparent or parent), you should have reported the handgun with CA DOJ.

            If you are within the 30 day reporting window for an intra-familial transfer or within 3 years of receiving the firearm, then report the firearm using a Report of Intra-Familial Firearm Transaction.

            If you are well past (3+ years) the reporting window and the statue of limitations for failing to report has expired, then report the firearm using a Firearm Ownership Report.

            Also note that...

            Some CA issuing agencies have policies that requires the handguns, to be listed on the permits they issue, to be registered to the applicant and will not approve any non-registered handguns.
            Last edited by Quiet; 03-09-2021, 7:11 AM.
            sigpic

            "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

            Comment

            • #7
              JWil
              Member
              • Nov 2020
              • 340

              It hasn't been gifted, I was just curious. It's registered to them, but I don't want to deal with any more paperwork than I have to already. I guess I'll just have to buy another small handgun.

              Comment

              • #8
                Cup of Cheese
                CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                CGN Contributor
                • Jun 2020
                • 316

                Originally posted by JWil
                Do I need to take classes before or after applying? There is no reason I would be denied for a permit, however, I have no faith in the Cal Doj system though I am in a red county, but I just want to be sure that I am not going to spend a bunch of money on a class, and then because kommie majik get denied.
                The process breaks down into something like this.

                Apply on line (this is where you supply your statement)
                Interview
                If cleared, do LiveScan
                Classes
                Final approval/denial
                Now my mind is filled with rubber tires, and forest fires
                And whether I'm a liar,
                And lots of other situations where I don't know what to do,
                At which time God screams to me "There's nothing left for me to tell you."

                Comment

                • #9
                  Sccafire
                  Junior Member
                  • Jul 2016
                  • 80

                  I believe the process for each county may be different. At least it was for mine. This is what I did for Placer County. I went to the required class. Signed up for interview. At that time I could print the paperwork for live scan. I went had my live scan done. I had my interview with the County. I was issued a few months later.

                  Here is my timeline:

                  8/27/16 8 hour Basic hand gun course
                  9/10/16 8 hour CCW course
                  9/10/16 Submitted application on-line and Chose interview date.
                  9/21/16 Livescan completed
                  11/9/16 Interview

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    tawadc95
                    Senior Member
                    • Apr 2017
                    • 565

                    Check with your sheriff office. Some like your class before app, some after.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      zinfull
                      CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                      CGN Contributor
                      • Aug 2006
                      • 2733

                      I set up my training after it looked like I would pass the requirements. The CCW class had a 2 month waiting list and was only valid 2 months after the class. I had a 4 months to get finial approval, but that was before COVID screwed everything.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Dvrjon
                        CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                        • Nov 2012
                        • 11370

                        The Penal Code protects the applicant:
                        26165. (a) For new license applicants, the course of training for issuance of a license under Section 26150 or 26155 may be any course acceptable to the licensing authority that meets all of the following criteria:
                        [...]
                        (e) The applicant shall not be required to pay for any training courses prior to the determination of good cause being made pursuant to Section 26202.
                        Long ago, some agencies required training and then declined issuance. If you take the training prior to approval of GC, the cost is on you, regardless of the outcome. If you are positive that you'll go through, taking the training early will facilitate your process.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Dvrjon
                          CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                          • Nov 2012
                          • 11370

                          Originally posted by JWil
                          Do I need to take classes before or after applying? There is no reason I would be denied for a permit, however, I have no faith in the Cal Doj system though I am in a red county, but I just want to be sure that I am not going to spend a bunch of money on a class, and then because kommie majik get denied.
                          The DOJ has little to do with CCW issuance other than conducting the background check and reporting the results.
                          26185.
                          (a) (1) The fingerprints of each applicant shall be taken and two copies on forms prescribed by the Department of Justice shall be forwarded to the department.

                          (2) Upon receipt of the fingerprints and the fee as prescribed in Section 26190, the department shall promptly furnish the forwarding licensing authority a report of all data and information pertaining to any applicant of which there is a record in its office, including information as to whether the person is prohibited by state or federal law from possessing, receiving, owning, or purchasing a firearm.

                          (3) No license shall be issued by any licensing authority until after receipt of the report from the department.[...]
                          The single point of approval rests with your issuing agency (Sheriff). You may want to reconsider your phrasing lest the Lassen County Sheriff think you perceive him as red commie.
                          Last edited by Dvrjon; 03-15-2021, 5:03 PM. Reason: Adding smiles..

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            JWil
                            Member
                            • Nov 2020
                            • 340

                            @Dvrjon
                            As I stated above, I was unaware of the color grading for CCW permits and was referring to the political red/blue spectrum. I like our sheriff, and got some good info from him with my own self defense questions when he spoke in a college class I was in. If you could edit on mobile, I already would have done so.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Dvrjon
                              CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                              • Nov 2012
                              • 11370

                              Originally posted by JWil
                              @Dvrjon
                              As I stated above, I was unaware of the color grading for CCW permits and was referring to the political red/blue spectrum. I like our sheriff, and got some good info from him with my own self defense questions when he spoke in a college class I was in. If you could edit on mobile, I already would have done so.
                              Apologies...I didn't add the smiley face at the end to indicate I was busting your cohones. Best.

                              ETA: good news...I can edit on mobile....

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1