Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Purchase firearm before applying?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • bobbyblank
    Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 438

    Purchase firearm before applying?

    Looking into applying for a shot at ccw this year, and was under the impression you could to through the application process before purchasing firearm and doing the training and qualifying with it..

    But looking over the online application, it asks you to list all the firearms you want to be associated with the licence, make model serial ext...
  • #2
    daniel.ratner
    Member
    • Jun 2010
    • 403

    That won't preclude you. They are looking that your weapons are legal and registered. You will qualify with your IA and that will be when you need to have your purchases. Also you can add by amendment later.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Comment

    • #3
      varanidguy
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2014
      • 1188

      You can list any pistol you want, then list the pistol(s) you're actually going to carry at the class.

      Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

      Comment

      • #4
        bobbyblank
        Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 438

        I currently do not own any handguns, all long rifles. So I would just complete application without entering anything?

        Comment

        • #5
          Afterimage
          Senior Member
          • Jun 2016
          • 607

          Do us all a favor and become familiar with safely handling handguns before you apply for a CCW.

          Comment

          • #6
            bobbyblank
            Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 438

            Originally posted by Afterimage
            Do us all a favor and become familiar with safely handling handguns before you apply for a CCW.
            I did not say I have never owned any handguns, or that I have never fired or handled any handguns.. I said I do not currently OWN any handguns. There is a difference between the two. So "please do us all a facor" and do not assume that because I don't CURRENTLY have any at this time, I don't know how to safely handle and use one..

            Like i said before, I own long rifles. Have sold all my handguns, so back to my original question thanks.
            Last edited by bobbyblank; 05-23-2017, 7:57 PM.

            Comment

            • #7
              Afterimage
              Senior Member
              • Jun 2016
              • 607

              Originally posted by bobbyblank
              I did not say I have never owned any handguns, or that I have never fired or handled any handguns.. I said I do not currently OWN any handguns. There is a difference between the two. So "please do us all a facor" and do not assume that because I don't CURRENTLY have any at this time, I don't know how to safely handle and use one..

              Like i said before, I own long rifles. Have sold all my handguns, so back to my original question thanks.
              I stand corrected.

              I had the unfortunate experience of watching someone completely fail a CCW course because they were clueless with regard to basic gun handling norms.

              My apologies.

              Comment

              • #8
                bobbyblank
                Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 438

                Originally posted by Afterimage
                I stand corrected.

                I had the unfortunate experience of watching someone completely fail a CCW course because they were clueless with regard to basic gun handling norms.

                My apologies.
                Just seems like everyone jumps to assumptions on calguns, can never tell if they are being snarky or legitimate.. Thanks for your honest concern, didn't mean to snap back. I would be flabbergasted watching someone fail a ccw course from lack of range time with a weapon. Just concerned I might fill out an incomplete app and screw up the process before I start it! Have gun in mind, but did not want to purchase it just to fill an app and possibly be denied.
                Last edited by bobbyblank; 05-23-2017, 9:15 PM.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Afterimage
                  Senior Member
                  • Jun 2016
                  • 607

                  Originally posted by bobbyblank
                  Just seems like everyone jumps to assumptions on calguns, can never tell if they are being snarky or legitimate.. Thanks for your honest concern, didn't mean to snap back. I would be flabbergasted watching someone fail a ccw course from lack of range time with a weapon. Just concerned I might fill out an incomplete app and screw up the process before I start it! Have gun in mind, but did not want to purchase it just to fill an app and possibly be denied.
                  No worries. The Internet and context are messy, to say the least.

                  Good luck to ya! The populace surely deserves another sheepdog.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Foothills
                    Senior Member
                    • Feb 2014
                    • 918

                    There's a thread pointing out that M&P shield's are on sale for less than $300.



                    Consider this: Buy something like the shield that is very popular, put it on your application, and use it to take some kind of CCW tactical class. See how you like the idea from a hands-on perspective.

                    You may find that your philosophy changes after some CCW-specific training. For example, a full-sized 1911 is fun, but are you comfortable carrying cocked and locked?

                    Another school of thought suggest that everyone should have at least one snub-nosed revolver on their CCW. Maybe you want to get one of those and have it even if you don't go through with the license.

                    If you have at least one, you can practice with it periodically while you wait for the process to unfold...
                    CRPA Member

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      scarecrowX52
                      Member
                      • Aug 2014
                      • 109

                      It probably varies by county/issuing agency, but in my county, on the application instructions, it states that applications would not be processed with out a firearm listed on the application.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Wicked Pete
                        Calguns Addict
                        • May 2010
                        • 5182

                        Wondering what you are going to get?

                        I carry a wheel gun. My mind is prejudiced. I'd hate to have a stove pipe at the wrong time.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          blvcksails
                          Junior Member
                          • Apr 2016
                          • 77

                          OC doesn't require you to list a firearm on your initial app. You will need by the time you do your training/qualification, and then you add that gun to your roster at the time of permit pick up

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Dvrjon
                            CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                            • Nov 2012
                            • 11370

                            You only need one gun, but you will want three. This provides backup if a CCW gun breaks or you just don't like it for CCW carry.

                            Sac allows only 3 guns on the license right now. However, they are not (and have not for a number of years) processing mods to licenses to add or change guns. That may change, and they may increase the number of guns.

                            But, for now and the near future, what you have is what you've got, and what you get on your license is probably what you will have on the license until renewal.

                            There's a lot of process experience in the Sacramento "Time to Apply" Thread. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...52779&page=100
                            Last edited by Dvrjon; 05-29-2017, 7:09 AM.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Rosamond
                              Member
                              • Sep 2012
                              • 267

                              Why wouldn't you buy a handgun before you get a license to carry? You want to be absolutely familiar with the gun you decide to carry in defense of your life. You might not settle on your first choice after you become familiar with it. For example if your gun has a manual safety of some sort and you are not able reliably to disengage it on your draw, you probably want to choose something else.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1