Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Basic CCW shooting skills

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • CrazyPhoto
    Junior Member
    • Apr 2013
    • 26

    Basic CCW shooting skills

    I compiled some basic CCW shooting skills that I picked up from various instructors. I would be interested in seeing some comments or suggestions. I shoot about 100-200 rounds each week and try to perfect these skills. Each gun requires a few specific changes. i.e. decock vs safety lever, etc.

    Sig Sauer P220 Basics

    DRAWING

    ASSESS

    REHOLSTER

    SPEED RELOAD

    TACTICAL RELOAD

    CHECK IF GUN IS CHAMBERED

    JAM (Misfire, Double Feed)

    Thanks for the helpful input. I changed the sequence of topics and removed the details since there were so many good suggestions.

    I am updating as I go along. Here is the latest update: http://www.photocrazy.com/CCWBasics.pdf
    Last edited by CrazyPhoto; 08-25-2015, 7:35 AM. Reason: Update
  • #2
    jonc
    Calguns Addict
    • Aug 2009
    • 6407

    Was hoping for a VID
    But that was a good read

    Comment

    • #3
      CrazyPhoto
      Junior Member
      • Apr 2013
      • 26

      Originally posted by jonc
      Was hoping for a VID
      But that was a good read
      Good point. I usually go shooting by myself and it's hard to video by yourself. I will try. Pics and videos are worth a thousand words.

      Comment

      • #4
        jonc
        Calguns Addict
        • Aug 2009
        • 6407

        Originally posted by CrazyPhoto
        Good point. I usually go shooting by myself and it's hard to video by yourself. I will try. Pics and videos are worth a thousand words.
        Vids all over YouTube anyways .
        Sometime we just have to read! Lol

        Comment

        • #5
          grantar2
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2014
          • 3581

          By any chance do you compete in any IDPA events? If not give it a try, lot of fun, and good practice. (Still no one shooting at you) but you can go to Artemis Defense if you want someone shooting at you. (Hits hurt).

          Comment

          • #6
            tanks
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2014
            • 4038

            The only difference I'd say is once at 4 there is no reason to go to the armpit. You can push it straight out towards sight alignment. That also calls for modifying step 2 to clear the clothing but not move the off-hand all the way to the chest. That way your off-hand can grab the gun as it is moving up and away towards sight alignment.

            Here is a video discussing this in detail (no clothing at this point though, but the principal applies).

            "... when a man has shot an elephant his life is full"- John Alfred Jordan
            "A set of ivory tusks speaks of a life well lived." - Unknown

            Comment

            • #7
              CrazyPhoto
              Junior Member
              • Apr 2013
              • 26

              Originally posted by tanks
              The only difference I'd say is once at 4 there is no reason to go to the armpit. You can push it straight out towards sight alignment. That also calls for modifying step 2 to clear the clothing but not move the off-hand all the way to the chest. That way your off-hand can grab the gun as it is moving up and away towards sight alignment.

              Here is a video discussing this in detail (no clothing at this point though, but the principal applies).

              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMSlCyc-SQQ
              Not raising the gun to the armpit and leaving it at the hip could cause a problem as I have personally experienced during practice.

              The problem was when I started shooting from the hip. My left hand was low and the slide hit my left wrist. The gun didn't cycle properly. It's important to get the left hand out of the way. The garment has to be completely out of the way too otherwise you could fumble drawing the gun and snagging on the garment.

              Raisin the gun to the armpit also improved my accuracy when shooting early before the arms were fully extended.

              Considering that most threat encounters are less than 3-5 yards it is likely you will not extend the arms before shooting. The last thing you want in that situation is snag the gun on clothing or have the slide hit your left wrist. You may even get a sight picture if it is raised to the armpit. No chance of that from the hip.

              I practiced both scenarios quite a bit and had better results with bringing the gun up to the armpit. Both methods work. Personally I like raising the gun.

              Great video but without shooting from concealment the motions are totally different. It is debatable if the draw should be fast or getting the first round off during a close encounter. I would opt for getting the first round off as accurately as possible. I think the video is geared more towards competitive shooting. Correct? Very informative video. Thanks for pointing it out.
              Last edited by CrazyPhoto; 08-22-2015, 2:52 PM. Reason: Viewed video

              Comment

              • #8
                CrazyPhoto
                Junior Member
                • Apr 2013
                • 26

                Originally posted by grantar2
                By any chance do you compete in any IDPA events? If not give it a try, lot of fun, and good practice. (Still no one shooting at you) but you can go to Artemis Defense if you want someone shooting at you. (Hits hurt).
                I don't compete. My first goal is to get my CCW in Ventura. I qualified background and with all my guns now just waiting to get the permit.

                Don't IDPA draw non-concealed? That's a lot different than drawing from concealed. One step at a time. Kind of new to all of this.

                Comment

                • #9
                  JohnCCW
                  Senior Member
                  • Jan 2013
                  • 1307

                  Pull gun, point at perp, make gun go bang.
                  This is CCW shooting skill.

                  All the guys doing IDPA/3gun matches and saying if anyone else doesn't, they shouldn't CCW, make me laugh.
                  sigpicDon't ask how many guns I own, I lost count.
                  Rick Perry, Ted Cruz Trump for President 2016, because Hillary is NOT an option.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    CrazyPhoto
                    Junior Member
                    • Apr 2013
                    • 26

                    Originally posted by JohnCCW
                    Pull gun, point at perp, make gun go bang.
                    This is CCW shooting skill.
                    Simple enough but I could imagine the gun snagging on clothing, misfiring or not hitting what you are "pointing" at. Then what? The perv may take the gun from me and shoot me instead. You make it sound simple.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      tanks
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2014
                      • 4038

                      Originally posted by CrazyPhoto
                      ...
                      Don't IDPA draw non-concealed? That's a lot different than drawing from concealed. One step at a time. Kind of new to all of this.
                      IDPA requires a cover garment. It is USPSA that does not require a cover garment.
                      "... when a man has shot an elephant his life is full"- John Alfred Jordan
                      "A set of ivory tusks speaks of a life well lived." - Unknown

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        rdtompki
                        Senior Member
                        • Mar 2014
                        • 773

                        Two questions:
                        1. - is your magazine on your gun side? If not the mag is usually inserted bullets forward.

                        2. - The "store under arm or belt" seems questionable. Your belt is very likely covered and in the heat of a confrontation I can't imagine the mag not dropping free from your arm. I'd figure out a way to carry two mags and simply clear the jam and load a fresh magazine. We're talking about incredibly unlikely encounters. Added to that a double feed is very, very unlikely. Carry two mags plus one in the gun and stuff in a fresh mag.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          CrazyPhoto
                          Junior Member
                          • Apr 2013
                          • 26

                          Originally posted by rdtompki
                          Two questions:
                          1. - is your magazine on your gun side? If not the mag is usually inserted bullets forward.
                          I couldn't imagine the mag on the gun side. I shoot right handed so the mag is on the left side with bullet facing forward.

                          Originally posted by rdtompki
                          2. - The "store under arm or belt" seems questionable. Your belt is very likely covered and in the heat of a confrontation I can't imagine the mag not dropping free from your arm. I'd figure out a way to carry two mags and simply clear the jam and load a fresh magazine. We're talking about incredibly unlikely encounters. Added to that a double feed is very, very unlikely. Carry two mags plus one in the gun and stuff in a fresh mag.
                          A double feed jam is a nightmare and I have yet to practice that to find out what would work best for me. Under arm or storing mag in belt. Carrying two extra mags is not practical for me. Way too bulky.

                          Here is a recent video of me getting the basics with a speed reload. I have a long way to go to make this smooth and fast.
                          Last edited by CrazyPhoto; 08-24-2015, 3:57 PM.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Roering
                            Senior Member
                            • Feb 2014
                            • 688

                            What, no pistol whipping drills???

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              CSACANNONEER
                              CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                              • Dec 2006
                              • 44094

                              If you are trying to make a universal instruction list, you need to use "strong hand" and "weak hand" instead of "right hand" and "left hand".
                              NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
                              California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
                              Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
                              Utah CCW Instructor


                              Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

                              sigpic
                              CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

                              KM6WLV

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1