Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

New guy from Oceanside

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • stud100spray
    Junior Member
    • Dec 2011
    • 5

    New guy from Oceanside

    Evening gents.
    Active duty Marine here, stationed on Pendleton. I've been reading the forum for a while doing research and finally made the move on a new Glock 19 tonight. This is my first personally owned firearm, but I've got a bit of prior shooting experience. Standard yearly rifle and pistol qualification, but mostly aircraft machine gun (GAU-17/A minigun and GAU-21 .50 cal.) shooting. I'm chomping at the bit right now to pick this thing up... 10 days is too long!

    The biggest advice I'd like right now is regarding ammo and a light. What would you all recommend as a home defense round? What do you generally shoot at the range? Also, I'd like a light to mount for low light home defense situations, but don't really know where to start.

    I'd like meet up with other North County folk and go shoot if anyone else is interested.

    Any advice is appreciated!

    And finally, I'll post a picture before you all start asking haha.

  • #2
    bsg
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Jan 2009
    • 25954

    welcome to the forum.

    Comment

    • #3
      LCU1670
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2010
      • 2865

      Welcome from the desert. Stationed 29 palms 91-93. Worked on and off at Pendleton. As for a round, the simplest answer is ask you local police / sheriff what they use.
      sigpic Waterborne!

      Former: Knight of Front Sight &
      Gold Star Member

      Comment

      • #4
        SoCal Bob
        Calguns Addict
        • May 2010
        • 5354

        Welcome to Calguns, and thank you for serving. You may want to re-post your questions in the handgun section. Don't be surprised if you get answers like .40, .45 and 12 GA on the ammo question, its a gun forum thing, you'll get used to it.

        Comment

        • #5
          fighterpilot562
          I’m Ugly and I’m Proud
          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
          • Mar 2012
          • 47071

          Welcome

          Comment

          • #6
            sealocan
            Calguns Addict
            • Mar 2012
            • 9956

            welcome,thank you for service to our country.
            It used to be
            "glaser saftey" rounds...not sure what brand is in now but fragmention types or even just hollow points are better for home defense with our thin walls of today.

            Comment

            • #7
              MustangO4
              Senior Member
              • Sep 2006
              • 1138

              Welcome. Best advice I could give is to get a holster and get to the Thursday night matches at iron sights. Great fun, cheap(ish) and youll get a lot better.

              Comment

              • #8
                NorCalXJ
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2012
                • 3992

                welcome
                Terminal Lance

                Comment

                • #9
                  lt05deluxe
                  Senior Member
                  • Apr 2012
                  • 1082

                  Welcome and thank you for your service!

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    BajaJames83
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Jun 2011
                    • 6042

                    Welcome, I just got out in sept and live in oceanside. Where do you normally shoot?
                    NRA Endowment Life Member
                    USMC 2001-2012

                    Never make yourself too available or useful...... Semper Fidelis

                    John Dickerson: What keeps you awake at night?
                    James Mattis: Nothing, I keep other people awake at night.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Seven_Duce
                      Senior Member
                      • Nov 2011
                      • 1596

                      Welcome

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        stud100spray
                        Junior Member
                        • Dec 2011
                        • 5

                        Wow, lot or replys fairly quickly! Since I've been stationed out here I've been shooting on and off at Iron Sights, but would like to check out other ranges if you had any recommendations. Never shot in their Thurs. night matches, but I'll look into it.

                        And at the risk of asking a stupid question, what do you use a holster for? I won't be carrying in CA, so really the gun will only leave my house when it's going to the range. Please excuse my ignorance haha.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          xXx Sir Sik xXx
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2010
                          • 3305

                          Welcome

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            socalpistolero
                            Senior Member
                            • Oct 2011
                            • 2099

                            welcome.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Guitarmoto
                              Senior Member
                              • Jul 2011
                              • 429

                              Welcome!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1