Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Hello from Oakland

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • honestcomrade
    Junior Member
    • Feb 2012
    • 20

    Hello from Oakland

    Reddit has made it seem like a pretty nice informative community you've got going here, thanks for everything in advance.

    Anywho, I'm not a gun owner and my experience is rather limited. My dad took us out when we were younger (about age 12) to a local outdoor range and I remember having a blast with his .357 snub, 10/22, and .35 lever action. This was about 15 years ago now and his politics have changed a lot, since growing older he is not interested in furthering my knowledge of firearms.

    So last summer I had a chance to get out to Oregon and hit an outdoor quarry near Washington, with a very good friend who moved there to live in a more 'gun friendly' community.
    Had a lot of fun with his glock17 9mm, marlin .30-30, m1 carbine, and mossberg 500. Many rounds were fired, he instructed me in safety and cleaning, and I was fairly set on purchasing a CA legal firearm once I got back home to the bay area.

    My situation is a bit complicated as I have centered my life around a bicycle. I ride 10 miles to work and back 5 days a week, and rely on the train for longer distance trips on days off. I have read a few discussions on other forums about the legality of carrying a firearm on a bicycle, and my understanding that if I were to carry an unloaded, chamber locked, legal, registered pistol in my saddle bag, with the mags and ammo in my other saddle bag, I would likely be following CAs concealment laws.

    Any advice on that assumption? Should I call local (O)PD?

    I don't plan on carrying the firearm with me often, only when travelling to or from the gun shop or the range. One complication is that to get to any of the shops or ranges in the local area, I have to take the train for a few miles. Any local bay area resident has told me that would be illegal and stupid. I'm not so sure that it would be the best plan, but how about legality? Should I just ask a Bart cop?

    Also, I'd love some advice on the shops and ranges around here. Thanks guys.
  • #2
    bikr4jc
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    CGN Contributor
    • Oct 2011
    • 1422

    Welcome!!!

    Go Raiders!!
    "T-Rex was a friendly Chap" Charles007 @ SSZS 6.5

    "To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -- George Mason, speech of June 14, 1788

    NRA Benefactor Life Member ~ CRPA Life Member

    Comment

    • #3
      xXx Sir Sik xXx
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2010
      • 3305

      Welcome to the board...

      Comment

      • #4
        Bert Gamble
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2011
        • 3230

        Welcome
        WARNING: This post will most likely contain statements that are offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense, and or maturity.

        Satire: A literary composition, in verse or prose, in which human folly and vice are held up to scorn, derision, or ridicule.
        _____________________________________________

        Comment

        • #5
          00Medic
          Senior Member
          • Aug 2011
          • 1941

          Welcome to Calguns!
          Originally posted by TeddyBallgame
          I've never understood why any of our Constitutional rights are governed by the very institution they were put in place to protect us from.
          Originally posted by POLICESTATE
          It is not wise to create criminals where none exist. Especially when those newly-minted criminals may or may not be heavily armed with guns you know nothing about.

          Comment

          • #6
            Sonny188
            Senior Member
            • Aug 2011
            • 1204

            Welcome!

            Comment

            • #7
              Down Range
              Member
              • Dec 2011
              • 141

              Welcome.

              Comment

              • #8
                WolfSamurai
                Member
                • Dec 2011
                • 384

                Welcome to CalGuns.
                The only thing necessary for the triumph of EVIL is for good men to do nothing.
                Edmund Burke


                Comment

                • #9
                  rkt88edmo
                  Reptile&Samurai Moderator
                  CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                  • Dec 2002
                  • 10062

                  nothing to see but derps here

                  Probably want to repost the bicycle question in legal, I know it has been asked before, probably better off with a small hardcase than a chamber lock just so it is less conspicuous. Relevant threads may refer to LUCC (locked unloaded concealed carry) I think. May need to be aware of school zones if you are stopping at. relevant to my interests, I like the bicycle lifestyle, ride a big dummy, but am not riding much outside of summer. Have ridden to the range before, the funny looks are a kick.

                  If we get some good info it would be nice collate and have a definitive bicycle motorcycle reference thread...there may be one already...
                  Last edited by rkt88edmo; 02-17-2012, 7:52 AM.
                  If it was a snake, it would have bit me.
                  Use the goog to search calguns

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    .22guy
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Nov 2006
                    • 5863

                    Welcome to Calguns!
                    Originally posted by sholling
                    Someone else's lack of foresight and planning is no reason for you to take less than the current market value despite all of the wailing and crying for 2nd Amendment socialism and welfare pricing.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      p7m8jg
                      Senior Member
                      • Dec 2007
                      • 1914

                      I'd look for the book "How to Own A Gun in California and Stay Out of Jail" by attorney John Machtinger. http://www.gunlawpress.com

                      I recommend the book highly. You can find it at some gun stores or order it on line.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        SantaCabinetguy
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Feb 2011
                        • 15142

                        Добро пожаловать товарищ!

                        Welcome to Calguns! Always glad to have another Bay Area member

                        I would suggest checking out the wiki and if you can’t find it there, post up in the 2A section.
                        Hauoli Makahiki Hou


                        -------

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          BlackTydeTactical
                          Veteran Member
                          • Aug 2011
                          • 2926

                          Welcome aboard!

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            den888
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Jul 2009
                            • 10520

                            Welcome!

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              zod
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Aug 2009
                              • 8342

                              Welcome aboard.
                              Originally posted by pistolero805
                              Brass has antimicrobial properties.
                              Originally posted by sean michael
                              Brass knuckles, when you want to punch someone but don't want to give them an infection.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1