Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

AR 10 malfunction

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • ARfiend
    Junior Member
    • Jul 2010
    • 73

    AR 10 malfunction

    I built a POF-USA lower with a dpms panther upper. I am having a couple of issues. Doesn't always load next round into the chamber and it accidentally bursted 4 or 5 times the last time I shot it. Any suggestions
  • #2
    freonr22
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Dec 2008
    • 12948

    a 2rd burst? or more than that?
    sigpic
    Originally posted by dantodd
    We will win. We are right. We will never stop fighting.
    Originally posted by bwiese
    They don't believe it's possible, but then Alison didn't believe there'd be 350K - 400K OLLs in CA either.
    Originally posted by louisianagirl
    Our fate is ours alone to decide as long as we remain armed heavily enough to dictate it.

    Comment

    • #3
      ARfiend
      Junior Member
      • Jul 2010
      • 73

      mostyly 2 rnd bursts but there might have been a couple 3 rnd in there

      Comment

      • #4
        kiralc
        Junior Member
        • Jul 2010
        • 2

        sounds partly familiar

        Part of your problem sounds very familiar...

        I've been struggling with failures to cycle out of my 20" DPMS .308. They seem to be somewhat ammo dependent and very mag dependent. I have various DPMS .308 models and they do not have the same quirks. Each seems to have more or less tolerance for different types of ammo. In the case of the TAC-20, it simply refuses to cycle using 1968 DAG M80 - regardless of the mag. However, it will cycle other M80 surplus as long as I use a Magpul mag. My TAC-20 won't cycle M80 (even brand new Federal) if I use the DPMS or C Products magazines. This is probably part of why they recommend only the heavier rounds. Of course, this only addresses half of your problem, but...

        All of my DPMS lowers have Rock River 2-stage triggers. If I had to guess, you probably have some slam fire action going on - but I'm only guessing that it may be your hammer riding the pin down. I've also heard that an overly-long pin or badly manufactured bolt could contribute to slam fires - both of which should be verified by the factory (ie. you should consider returning the upper or at least having a gunsmith check it out before your upper detonates 6 inches from your face).

        Erik

        ps: what ammo/mag combo do you use?

        Comment

        • #5
          ARfiend
          Junior Member
          • Jul 2010
          • 73

          I am using dpms magazines with 150 grain federal ammo.

          Comment

          • #6
            kiralc
            Junior Member
            • Jul 2010
            • 2

            yup... familiar

            Originally posted by ARfiend
            I am using dpms magazines with 150 grain federal ammo.
            That sounds about right. The slam fires (if that's what they are) are new to me, but the DPMS .308's do seem to struggle with the lighter rounds. If you poke around on DPMS's website and user forums, you'll find that they stress the need for 168 gr (and higher) bullets in order to have reliable cycling. I'm still playing with ammo/mag combos to see what each upper can tolerate and yours will have its own quirks. However, before you start exploring the miriad of ammo/mag combos, I'll share the following...

            I once had a Charter Arms AR-7 (it's a .22 lr) that would have anywhere between 2 and 8 round bursts. Which I thought was loads of fun until one of the rounds went off before being fully seated in the chamber. Since it was an aluminum upper, the premature detonation caused the side of it to blow out. Luckily, since it was only a .22, I escaped injury - but I shudder to think what would have happened if I had been playing that game with a hunting round... be careful.

            E
            Last edited by kiralc; 07-07-2010, 7:30 PM.

            Comment

            • #7
              ARfiend
              Junior Member
              • Jul 2010
              • 73

              Thank you all for your help on this issue, I tried the different grain ammo and that unfortunately did not help out. But, I swapped the trigger, hammer and connector out from a spare parts kit and the rifle now works perfectly. So if anyone has similar issues and the ammo change did not do anything try out the trigger swap.

              Comment

              Working...
              UA-8071174-1